Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Dec 28, 2006, 04:49 PM   #1
Bobdude161
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Skype™ to Bobdude161
What is my wireless router's IP? (Sorry 192.168.1.1 is not the answer!)

Before you type "192.168.1.1", let me explain whats going on. I have a wired router that connects to my modem, then a switch that is connected to my router, then a wireless router connected to my switch. I already have my wireless router set-up as an access point and the last time I accessed it's setup it's IP was 192.168.1.104. But now a day later, that IP doesn't work. Seems my wired router reset IP numbers. I've tried numbers 192.168.1.100-105 since there's only 4 things hooked up (Mac, PC, Wii, wireless router), tried 192.168.2.1, then the higher numbers like 192.168.1.250-255. Nothing.

I've poked around Network Utility but I don't know what I'm doing there. Is there some way to see what IP numbers are connected to my wired router so I can then find out which one is my wireless router?

Last edited by Bobdude161; Dec 28, 2006 at 05:16 PM.
Bobdude161 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 06:38 PM   #2
breakfastcrew
macrumors 6502

breakfastcrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 07:37 PM   #3
thicke
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to thicke
What brand are the routers? What kind of Mac do you have, MacBook, etc? How many Ethernet ports are on the wireless router, does it only have the "internet" port, or does it have some other wired ports?
thicke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 07:41 PM   #4
Fearless Leader
macrumors 68020

so to system preferences -> network -> The airport settings -> then tcp/ip and next to router you'll find its ip.
Old Dec 28, 2006, 07:51 PM   #5
4JNA
macrumors 68000

the wired router is actually where you want to go, as it sounds like the access point is getting moved, which means DHCP. so, since it was x.1.104, the wired router should be 192.168.1.1. login to the wired router, look at the LAN/DHCP settings, and it should show a current list of assigned addresses. pc, mac, and wii should have names, wireless may only show the MAC (no name)... either way it should show you the current ip.

you may also want to try unpluging the wireless access point power for about 30 seconds, and then plug it back in. some have a habit of getting hung. wireless will still be working, but no login kinda stuck. best of luck.
Old Dec 28, 2006, 07:53 PM   #6
thicke
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to thicke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokem View Post
so to system preferences -> network -> The airport settings -> then tcp/ip and next to router you'll find its ip.
Unless I misunderstand, I don't think that will work. I read into it that he's not connected to the wireless router via the airport. I read into it that the wireless router and the Mac are both connected to the same wired network and he wants to know what the IP address of the wireless router is ont he wired network. Is that right Bobdude161?
thicke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 08:05 PM   #7
Fearless Leader
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by thicke View Post
Unless I misunderstand, I don't think that will work. I read into it that he's not connected to the wireless router via the airport. I read into it that the wireless router and the Mac are both connected to the same wired network and he wants to know what the IP address of the wireless router is ont he wired network. Is that right Bobdude161?
ohh after re re reading the op I think you're right. also you could download nmap compile it learn how to use it and scan your net work
Old Dec 28, 2006, 10:31 PM   #8
Bobdude161
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakfastcrew View Post
Sorry 192.168.0.1 is not the answer.

Quote:
What brand are the routers? What kind of Mac do you have, MacBook, etc? How many Ethernet ports are on the wireless router, does it only have the "internet" port, or does it have some other wired ports?
The wired router is a Linksys and the wireless one is a Belkin. My mac is in my sig. Only the uplink port is being used on the wireless router

Quote:
Good guess, but I'm getting my wired router's IP and not the access-point's (wireless router) IP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4JNA View Post
the wired router is actually where you want to go, as it sounds like the access point is getting moved, which means DHCP. so, since it was x.1.104, the wired router should be 192.168.1.1. login to the wired router, look at the LAN/DHCP settings, and it should show a current list of assigned addresses. pc, mac, and wii should have names, wireless may only show the MAC (no name)... either way it should show you the current ip.

you may also want to try unpluging the wireless access point power for about 30 seconds, and then plug it back in. some have a habit of getting hung. wireless will still be working, but no login kinda stuck. best of luck.
Looked at my Linksys wired router settings and it says there's only three things hooked up to it. My Mac, PC and a nameless device which must be my Wii. Powering off the Belkin wireless didn't do anything either.

Quote:
I am wirelessly connected via a 3rd party wireless card on my Mac. But yes I do want to know the wireless router's address

Quote:
ohh after re re reading the op I think you're right. also you could download nmap compile it learn how to use it and scan your net work
It's worth a try i suppose.
Old Dec 28, 2006, 11:01 PM   #9
robert05au
macrumors regular

Some have started using this

192.168.16.1 or 192.167.16.0

It may just help

robert05au is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 11:12 PM   #10
tveric
macrumors 6502

just browsing these replies it's clear you're posting this question at the wrong website. Never have so many neophytes offered so much useless information. They mean well, I guess.

PS I know the answer, but I charge $85 an hour for my knowledge as a freelancer. Good luck to you.
tveric is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 11:17 PM   #11
hanschien
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdude161 View Post
Before you type "192.168.1.1", let me explain whats going on. I have a wired router that connects to my modem, then a switch that is connected to my router, then a wireless router connected to my switch. I already have my wireless router set-up as an access point and the last time I accessed it's setup it's IP was 192.168.1.104. But now a day later, that IP doesn't work. Seems my wired router reset IP numbers. I've tried numbers 192.168.1.100-105 since there's only 4 things hooked up (Mac, PC, Wii, wireless router), tried 192.168.2.1, then the higher numbers like 192.168.1.250-255. Nothing.

I've poked around Network Utility but I don't know what I'm doing there. Is there some way to see what IP numbers are connected to my wired router so I can then find out which one is my wireless router?
Do a Traceroute to google.com in Network Utility. It should be the first IP address; 2nd one should be your wired router.
hanschien is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 11:34 PM   #12
Fearless Leader
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by tveric View Post
just browsing these replies it's clear you're posting this question at the wrong website. Never have so many neophytes offered so much useless information. They mean well, I guess.

PS I know the answer, but I charge $85 an hour for my knowledge as a freelancer. Good luck to you.
hahaha you're funny. neophyte. ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanschien View Post
Do a Traceroute to google.com in Network Utility. It should be the first IP address; 2nd one should be your wired router.
no he's not connected to the router. It's on the same network. So none of his data is going through it.

Anyways i thought of something Is wireless router a continuation of ip addresses on your wired network? Or does it assign new ip addresses. In other words is it acting more like a hub or a router? If the first one is true you could simply get on the wifi network and gets its ip address from the first way i mentioned.

But seriously Install xcode and compile nmap its really easy. Its also easy to use.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 12:54 AM   #13
4JNA
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I am wirelessly connected via a 3rd party wireless card on my Mac. But yes I do want to know the wireless router's address
so the access point has a static ip. traceroute won't work as the AP is only a pass and won't register as a hop.

on the mac, open terminal and type:

ping 192.168.1.255

let it run for a bit, then use ctrl -c to stop the ping command. then type:

arp -a

should show you the 4 IPs. the one you don't already know will be the access point.

edit: if you prefer windows you could cut and paste this into a command window, and it will scan the whole range and give you a text document on the c: drive...

FOR /L %i IN (1,1,254) DO ping -n 1 192.168.1.%i|FIND /i "Reply">>c:\ipaddy.txt

Last edited by 4JNA; Dec 29, 2006 at 01:43 AM. Reason: add windows command
4JNA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 01:06 AM   #14
balamw

Alternatively to arp look at the wired router's DHCP table and eliminate the three IPs you already know.

B
Old Dec 29, 2006, 01:42 AM   #15
Peace
macrumors P6

Try 172.16.1.1 or 10.0.1.1

One of those could be the Belkin wireless router.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 01:06 PM   #16
Bobdude161
macrumors 65816

HA!! I win!

turns out it was 192.168.2.254. But I only discovered that, once I reset all my settings on the wireless router to default. That's why the wired Linksys router didn't list the belkin wireless router on the DHCP table. So now after a long process of putting all my settings back, I just assigned it 192.168.1.254 so it would at least stay in the 192.168.1.x range. Thank you very much everyone for your support. And thank you Belkin for being a pain in the a** for making your dafualt IP address different from Linksys, lol.

And now what is interesting, is that when the wireless router comes up on the Linksys DHCP table it shows the Belkin's IP as 192.168.1.102 (even after DHCP renewing). But when I type in the number, nothing happens. In order to access the setup fo the Belkin wireless router I have to tpye in Belkin's own designated IP address which was previously stated as 192.168.1.254. It's not a problem, just wanted to point that out.

Last edited by Bobdude161; Dec 29, 2006 at 01:12 PM.
Bobdude161 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 05:53 PM   #17
Fearless Leader
macrumors 68020

Quote:
HA!! I win!

turns out it was 192.168.2.254. But I only discovered that, once I reset all my settings on the wireless router to default. That's why the wired Linksys router didn't list the belkin wireless router on the DHCP table. So now after a long process of putting all my settings back, I just assigned it 192.168.1.254 so it would at least stay in the 192.168.1.x range. Thank you very much everyone for your support. And thank you Belkin for being a pain in the a** for making your dafualt IP address different from Linksys, lol.

And now what is interesting, is that when the wireless router comes up on the Linksys DHCP table it shows the Belkin's IP as 192.168.1.102 (even after DHCP renewing). But when I type in the number, nothing happens. In order to access the setup fo the Belkin wireless router I have to tpye in Belkin's own designated IP address which was previously stated as 192.168.1.254. It's not a problem, just wanted to point that out.
what a weird IP address. Strange story for me, My MBP decided to add a new networking port for some reason and thought it was connected to 10.13.7.xxx even when nothing was plugged in.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 05:23 AM   #18
tombarnes
macrumors 6502

That's mine for my Belkin Wireless Router

Its strange that yours is 192.168.2.254.

Game Center - tommytiptoes
tombarnes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2006, 07:45 AM   #19
Bobdude161
macrumors 65816

It is a weird IP, but it's not the router's default IP. When I set the Belkin to an "Access Point", it put an ending number of the IP that would be out of range of the original router's DHCP range (which i think is x.x.x.100 to x.x.x.144) . The end part of the IP can only go up to 255 (x.x.x.255), but the Belkin router set itself to 254 because 255 is a special IP number that is used for something I don't know.

I think that's how it goes.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 10:54 AM   #20
djdawson
macrumors member

Another option

One other thing you could have tried was running "tcpdump" in the Terminal (you need to run it as "sudo") and power cycle the wireless router and look at the tcpdump output for addresses you don't recognize. Most devices will either send a DHCP request or a "Gratuitous ARP" when they boot up, so by running tcpdump you could see this. Here's a sample command, but the actual command would have to reference whatever your ethernet interface is:

sudo tcpdump -i en0 -n

Use "control-c" to abort it after you've captured what you need. Note that you'll also see any other traffic going through that interface, so try not to do any web surfing at the same time or you'll capture a bunch of stuff you don't want to see.

The advantage of this approach is that it'll show you *all* the packets hitting your interface, even if the source address is on a different network or subnet, which hosts normally ignore and won't show up in the ARP table. Since the Gratuitous ARP packet is a broadcast, it'll be send out every switch port, so you Mac should see it no matter what your IP address is.

HTH
Old Dec 30, 2006, 01:48 PM   #21
balamw

Quote:
The end part of the IP can only go up to 255 (x.x.x.255), but the Belkin router set itself to 254 because 255 is a special IP number that is used for something I don't know.

I think that's how it goes.
x.x.x.255 is the broadcast address for a network with a typical netmask of 255.255.255.0. i.e. it's the address used to talk to all of the devices in the subnetwork.

B
Old Dec 30, 2006, 03:50 PM   #22
clevin
macrumors G3

goto http://whatismyipaddress.com/
or http://www.ip-adress.com/
clevin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2006, 05:55 PM   #23
balamw

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevin View Post
Getting the wireless access point to install a browser and access those URLs and not have its address translated to the public address of the router would be a miracle.

B
Old Dec 30, 2006, 09:44 PM   #24
HowEver
macrumors 6502a

It's not like his puppy was dying and he needed you to operate.

You could have been helpful given that eventually he was going to, and did, easily find the answer to his question. Choosing not to speaks volumes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tveric View Post

HowEver is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X