Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Dec 28, 2006, 09:03 PM   #1
matthewamzn
macrumors member

iSight with Userplane Chat Rooms?

Does anyone use their isight on any userplane chat rooms? I haven't been able to get my macbook's built in isight webcam or microphone to work.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 12:35 AM   #2
Aniej
macrumors 68000

is the problem that the camera will not turn on or is it that the site is not working with your camera? Also what kind of iSight is it, an older external one or a new iSight integrated right into the screen?
Aniej is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 12:40 AM   #3
fivetoadsloth
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniej View Post
is the problem that the camera will not turn on or is it that the site is not working with your camera? Also what kind of iSight is it, an older external one or a new iSight integrated right into the screen?
I think he said it ws internal, on his macbook. Can sites, that dont specificly try, send a message to activate the camera? I know some sites can but they are meant to. Most web cams you turn on so if the site doesnt tell the isight to turn on i dont tihnk it will.
fivetoadsloth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 12:46 AM   #4
Aniej
macrumors 68000

woops i must have skimmed past the part where they said it was internal; thanks. maybe a way to side step the matter would be to turn on iChat, which automatically activates iSight, have it up and running and then try and enter the website.
Aniej is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 03:08 AM   #5
matthewamzn
macrumors member

Yes, I'm using the macbook's isight camera. It just doesn't seem to recognize it. Having ichat open doesn't seem to help. Any other ideas? It's a flash based chat room I think.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 04:01 AM   #6
Gee
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewamzn View Post
Yes, I'm using the macbook's isight camera. It just doesn't seem to recognize it. Having ichat open doesn't seem to help. Any other ideas? It's a flash based chat room I think.
Just tried it and it works for me. Did you download and install the lastest flash player?

Then I just clicked on 'Turn on video' and clicked 'Allow' on the dialogue that appears. You can't have any other camera-using apps running at the same time, so close ichat and the like.
Gee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 11:10 PM   #7
matthewamzn
macrumors member

Are you using a macbook? I've been trying to download the latest flash player, but for some reason it's taking forever (down to 93bytes/sec).
Old Dec 31, 2006, 09:48 PM   #8
matthewamzn
macrumors member

OK, I got it working. I had to select one of the other options for my isight (DV).
Old Jan 19, 2007, 11:55 AM   #9
etienne1102
macrumors newbie

Said configuring an option helped??

I am having the same trouble... Intel MacBook Pro with built in iSight Camera. Works fine in Yahoo and Skype. Works fine in IChat. Cannot get it to work in a Flash based Chatroom. I downloaded the latest Flash Player. Seems the app THINKS it sees the camera, but it does not work... no image. Also, no audio in here, though it works too.

What is this DV setting someone mentioned? I have no idea how to set such a parameter on the cam.. Thanks!
etienne1102 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 03:25 PM   #10
Gee
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by etienne1102 View Post
I am having the same trouble... Intel MacBook Pro with built in iSight Camera. Works fine in Yahoo and Skype. Works fine in IChat. Cannot get it to work in a Flash based Chatroom. I downloaded the latest Flash Player. Seems the app THINKS it sees the camera, but it does not work... no image. Also, no audio in here, though it works too.

What is this DV setting someone mentioned? I have no idea how to set such a parameter on the cam.. Thanks!
Try Control-clicking on the blank image - you should get a Flash menu, which somewhere will allow you to enable your camera.
Gee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 01:32 PM   #11
etienne1102
macrumors newbie

Yep - got that working - now next related question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee View Post
Try Control-clicking on the blank image - you should get a Flash menu, which somewhere will allow you to enable your camera.
I have 2 cameras - one the built in iSight (Intel MacBook Pro), one Logitech Notebook Deluxe... using Maccam component to get it to work. In both Yahoo Messenger and Skype, the app sees both cameras and allows me to use the Logitech. In Flash Chat, I am only getting the chance to choose the connection type. I choose USB (as that's what works for the internal iSight), but it does not give me the chance to CHOOSE between the USB cameras.

Any ideas? One idea would be to disable the internal camera softly (Never thought I would wish for Windows!!!!), but have been unable to find out how to do so.
etienne1102 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2008, 01:24 AM   #12
rustypierce
macrumors newbie

Solution!!

I had the EXACT same problem and worked on it for HOURS.

I tried everything, including all the things mentioned here (each several times). Anyway - the solution (for me) was this:

Closing EVERY program that COULD use your iSight. This includes, but is not limited to: Photo Booth, iChat, and Skype. They have to be closed (not hidden) even if you weren't using the cam in there.

Mine works fine now. Good luck!
rustypierce is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2008, 08:09 PM   #13
bighouse
macrumors newbie

I have tried everything:
right-clicking and changing the settings, closing all the programs that could use isight, downloading the latest flash and yet my camera doesn't seem to get detected even though it works fine with Skype.

Any ideas?

What's weird is that it USED to work when I first got this macbook and stopped all of a sudden.

(example of flash based chat: http://www.ivideochat.com/main.php )

Please help!!!
bighouse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2008, 03:08 AM   #14
beetleboy
macrumors newbie

MacBook Camera with Adobe Flash Player 9

I've had this same problem (getting my built-in isight cam on an intel MacBook to work with Adobe Flash Player) for MONTHS, and it seemed to have appeared after I updated to Flash Player 9. After reading the posts here, I tried selecting the USB camera instead of the default (DV).

Amazingly, this solved the problem, even though the camera is NOT USB.

So, 1. to reiterate, go to the site where you want to use flash.

2. Ctrl-click on the Flash application, and select "settings"

3. Click on the camera tab.

4. Scroll down to "USB Class Video"

5. Select this option.

6. Enjoy.
beetleboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals