Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Community

Old May 7, 2003, 04:49 PM   #1
applemacdude
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to applemacdude Send a message via AIM to applemacdude Send a message via MSN to applemacdude Send a message via Yahoo to applemacdude Send a message via Skype™ to applemacdude
What's the best mac u ever had?

What' the best mac you ever had. mine is my g3 minitower. It's been with me for years. it's zif got friedbut i replaced it. it fell in a earthquake. still alive

Last edited by applemacdude; May 7, 2003 at 04:51 PM.
applemacdude is offline   0
Old May 7, 2003, 05:14 PM   #2
wsteineker
macrumors 6502a

Well I love my current machine (DP GHz Quicksilver) like it's a member of the family, but I'd have to say it was my Cube. It was an absolute workhorse for the better part of three years, and it ALWAYS turned heads. It did anything I asked it to, and it was the machine that brought me into OS X. I still think that's among the sexiest things I've ever seen a computer do. Seriously, have you ever seen OS X running on a Cube with an Apple LCD? Just gorgeous. I really did love that machine. Sad to see it go, really, but you can't hang on to the past forever.
Old May 7, 2003, 05:22 PM   #3
MacBandit
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to MacBandit
My favorite mac will always be my first love my Performa 600. What a pile of crap the performas were but I still have fond memories of her.
MacBandit is offline   0
Old May 7, 2003, 05:29 PM   #4
Moxiemike
Banned

my powerbook g3 333 was a workhorse for me.

It was quick and nimble and served me well when I was freelancing but worked a 9-5
Moxiemike is offline   0
Old May 7, 2003, 05:36 PM   #5
shakespeare
macrumors 6502

This one: my brand new, 17-inch PowerBook. With this computer, I'm in heaven.
shakespeare is offline   0
Old May 7, 2003, 05:40 PM   #6
eyelikeart
Moderator emeritus

I'm going with my current TiBook...Rev. B 667...

I've run the living hell out of that thing, kept the fan on at a constant, using it for a main computer for about 7 months before getting my 17" iMac...

that thing ran it's ass off...still does...
eyelikeart is offline   0
Old May 7, 2003, 05:42 PM   #7
vniow
macrumors 603

The only one I own at the moment, 300Mhz blueberry iBook.
vniow is offline   0
Old May 7, 2003, 05:49 PM   #8
scem0
macrumors 604

my 333 MHz iMac g3, it has been used so much by so many people
since it came into existance. Such a good computer.
scem0 is offline   0
Old May 7, 2003, 06:03 PM   #9
topicolo
macrumors 68000

My good ol' Mac LC II. Those 16Mhz of furious processing power lasted me for 7 years... Oh the memories...
Old May 7, 2003, 06:08 PM   #10
WinterMute
Moderator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to WinterMute Send a message via MSN to WinterMute
I've got to agree with shakespeare, this 17 PB is an absolute monster, everything that was missing or poor on my old 400 is just perfect on this, I've even stopped handling it with kid gloves, it gets slung in the bag like I've had it forever...

No higher praise, it's the mutt's nuts
WinterMute is offline   0
Old May 7, 2003, 06:27 PM   #11
Thom_Edwards
macrumors regular

quadra 650 or imac

i ran a cool little home studio with my quadra 650. i had a keyboard and 3 sound modules all running through opcode's vision. "back in the day when i was a teenager..." (tribe called quest, for all you young 'uns out there ) great hobby i wish i still had the time for.

but now, i'm all growns up, and my little rev a imac fully tweaked with 512mb and a 20gb hard drive does me proud. luckily you don't have to have a fast machine to write web applications! back when i was running 9, i had the game wizard voodoo2 card in the mezzanine slot and i soldered a floppy drive to the motherboard. the ribbon cable is still hanging out of her...

i've had others, but those 2 stick in my mind the most. i've still got the quadra, crying out for 68k linux. my imac does its best to handle the eye candy x gives you. which is my favorite, tough to say.

"thanks for the memories"

btw, my first post!
Thom_Edwards is offline   0
Old May 7, 2003, 06:57 PM   #12
applemacdude
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to applemacdude Send a message via AIM to applemacdude Send a message via MSN to applemacdude Send a message via Yahoo to applemacdude Send a message via Skype™ to applemacdude
Re: quadra 650 or imac

Quote:
Originally posted by Thom_Edwards
i ran a cool little home studio with my quadra 650. i had a keyboard and 3 sound modules all running through opcode's vision. "back in the day when i was a teenager..." (tribe called quest, for all you young 'uns out there ) great hobby i wish i still had the time for.

but now, i'm all growns up, and my little rev a imac fully tweaked with 512mb and a 20gb hard drive does me proud. luckily you don't have to have a fast machine to write web applications! back when i was running 9, i had the game wizard voodoo2 card in the mezzanine slot and i soldered a floppy drive to the motherboard. the ribbon cable is still hanging out of her...

i've had others, but those 2 stick in my mind the most. i've still got the quadra, crying out for 68k linux. my imac does its best to handle the eye candy x gives you. which is my favorite, tough to say.

"thanks for the memories"

btw, my first post!
how did u put a floppy drive in there? Any pics. Congrats on comin' to MAcrumors
applemacdude is offline   0
Old May 7, 2003, 06:59 PM   #13
Macette
macrumors 6502

My B&W G3 tower is just the best. I'll move up to something faster later this year, but my tower's definitely staying in the family. It's never given me a moment of grief, has rarely crashed (never since using os x), is slow by comparison, but steady. I love it.
Old May 7, 2003, 07:08 PM   #14
jefhatfield
Retired

the mac that really changed my perception of computers was the mac classic...before that, i didn't see much use for computers beyond a curiosity and a game playing machine
jefhatfield is offline   0
Old May 7, 2003, 07:17 PM   #15
evoluzione
macrumors 68010

my G3/300 Wall St powerbook was indestructible. I put in a new hard drive, twice, 28GB when Apple was only offering 12GB, maxed out the RAM at 768MB when supposedly the max was 512MB. had all sorts of extras for it ix3D card to drive ext monitors etc. and after about 3 years, the black paint in the middle section of the case started to scratch off, so i got the dremel to it and powersanded it all down (while it was turned on i might add) so i has an awesome brushed metal case. never failed me that thing.

a close 2nd would be my old G3/300 MT, I had (i think) 4 HDs in it at one point, one of which was gaffer taped to the inside as there were no more drive carrier spaces. again, solid as anything, and it was the AV one, which was fantastic.

had to sell 'em both to pay for rent when things were real tough last year though

I am Hando Jin, Hang Wong's son...
evoluzione is offline   0
Old May 7, 2003, 07:28 PM   #16
rainman::|:|
macrumors 603

Send a message via Yahoo to rainman::|:|
Macintosh LC II. Foster Farms herself. That thing may have been a design nightmare, but it lived through some OUTRAGEOUS abuse, and it worked like a charm. A little slow, but hey. I still have it somewhere here, i'll bet money it still boots

pnw
rainman::|:| is offline   0
Old May 7, 2003, 07:38 PM   #17
jefhatfield
Retired

oh, that's right!!

the lc 2 and lc 3 were also great machines....they replaced the mac classics in the lab i used...i only used word processing in the final year of college...that means for the first six full semesters, i typed all my papers

it was funny when the first lc computers came in...they were only to be used with special permission and my girlfriend at the time ran the lab and would not let me use it...and she had no idea that lc meant "low cost"..ha
jefhatfield is offline   0
Old May 7, 2003, 07:49 PM   #18
janey
macrumors 603

my best laptop is my alubook
my best desktop is a G4 Cube

janey is offline   0
Old May 7, 2003, 08:03 PM   #19
Thom_Edwards
macrumors regular

Re: Re: quadra 650 or imac

Quote:
Originally posted by applemacdude
how did u put a floppy drive in there? Any pics. Congrats on comin' to MAcrumors
it wasn't "in" there. it actually came through the spot where the metal plate just below the usb plugs are on the side.

i'm not sure how many revisions this went through, but the motherboard in the imac was basically a powerbook motherboard. there was an aftermarket ribbon cable that was male on one end that plugged right into the spot on the motherboard where the powerbook's floppy would have plugged into. i then took a floppy drive out of an old lc iii and put it on the other end. not many people believe me, but could i make something like that up????
sorry, no pics...
Thom_Edwards is offline   0
Old May 7, 2003, 08:06 PM   #20
wdlove
macrumors 604

My favorite Mac is my current Power Mac G4! They will definitely change when the PPC 970 is released!
Old May 7, 2003, 08:13 PM   #21
MrMacMan
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to MrMacMan
The 233 Bondi Blue iMac, it was great, untill I couldn't run anything on it and it only had os 9...

Still lasted a hella long for me.
IM Me On AIM Already!
MrMacMan is offline   0
Old May 7, 2003, 08:30 PM   #22
ibookin'
macrumors 65816

I'd have to go with the machine that started my love of Macs, a Powerbook 1400c, except that it wasn't my computer. Instead, I'll go with my iBook 500 DVD. She was a sweet little machine when I got her and I loved every minute of using her until the screen had problems and Apple decided to replace it with the 800 Combo I'm using now. The iBook is a beautiful little machine. I bought it for the size and the internal optical drive (there was no comparable PC at the time), and have loved the Mac ever since.
ibookin' is offline   0
Old May 7, 2003, 08:52 PM   #23
vollspacken
macrumors 65816

Re: What's the best mac u ever had?

my commodore C=64...

...not a mac, but it also has a Motorala CPU

I think my favorite mac right now is my SE/30

vSpacken
Old May 7, 2003, 09:13 PM   #24
Chad4Mac
macrumors 6502

I will say that my PB 667 was the computer that changed the way I compute, and will always remind me of my first experiences with Mac and OS X. What a great computer that was.

However, this 17in PB is simply amazing. It feels so much more sturdy and durable. The construction is so much better.

If it is possible to Love a computer...well...then I guess I Love this machine.

The 17in PB is the best product I have ever owned...

Chad4Mac
Chad4Mac is offline   0
Old May 8, 2003, 02:00 AM   #25
shadowfax
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to shadowfax
i get to default on this one, only having owned one

i love my G4 Powerbook, it's head, shoulders, torso, legs, and feet above any other computer i have ever owned.
shadowfax is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Community