Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Old Dec 29, 2006, 12:38 PM   #1
BuzWeaver
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to BuzWeaver Send a message via MSN to BuzWeaver Send a message via Yahoo to BuzWeaver
16bit Integrated Sound Cards

After conducting a few searches here and in general I can't seem to find any information concerning Apple Integrated Sound Cards (Intel Core 2 Duo). I did read recently that one of the down-sides to Apple was the built in 16bit card. I can't even find a schematic. Anyone know where I can find some info on the sound cards?
BuzWeaver is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 12:54 PM   #2
CanadaRAM
macrumors G5

Modern Apples have 24/96 digital output through the optical S/PDIF outs, the analog stereo ins and outs are 16, 20 or 24 bit, 44.1, 48 or 96 KHz sampling rate, 90 dB S/N. (keep in mind that the specs are specs, and not a direct indication of sound quality). The other question is, why is this important to you? What are you doing with the machine that the quality of the audio is a concern (misplaced as the original information you were given was)?

Apple Support Audio Developers Note
Old Dec 29, 2006, 09:22 PM   #3
BuzWeaver
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to BuzWeaver Send a message via MSN to BuzWeaver Send a message via Yahoo to BuzWeaver
I work for a computer/technology/solutions company, we are an Apple Authorized Reseller and I'm in Sales. I get a lot of questions every day as you can imagine, sound cards is one I seldom if ever get, but when I worked in the PC world I would get questions about sound cards quite often. I just like to have as much information as I can as I'm still new to Apple/Mac.
BuzWeaver is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2006, 05:59 AM   #4
Sesshi
Banned

The sound chips vary according to model, but they're pretty much the same sound chips found built in to midrange Windows PC's. You may like to Google general audio specs on "Intel HD Audio" as it is what all the audio controllers on any Mac currently sold are compatible with.

Or putting it another way, it's decent but nevertheless virtually any third-party card will better it.
Sesshi is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio