Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BuzWeaver

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2006
Atlanta, GA USA
After conducting a few searches here and in general I can't seem to find any information concerning Apple Integrated Sound Cards (Intel Core 2 Duo). I did read recently that one of the down-sides to Apple was the built in 16bit card. I can't even find a schematic. Anyone know where I can find some info on the sound cards?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Modern Apples have 24/96 digital output through the optical S/PDIF outs, the analog stereo ins and outs are 16, 20 or 24 bit, 44.1, 48 or 96 KHz sampling rate, 90 dB S/N. (keep in mind that the specs are specs, and not a direct indication of sound quality). The other question is, why is this important to you? What are you doing with the machine that the quality of the audio is a concern (misplaced as the original information you were given was)?

Apple Support Audio Developers Note

BuzWeaver

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2006
Atlanta, GA USA
I work for a computer/technology/solutions company, we are an Apple Authorized Reseller and I'm in Sales. I get a lot of questions every day as you can imagine, sound cards is one I seldom if ever get, but when I worked in the PC world I would get questions about sound cards quite often. I just like to have as much information as I can as I'm still new to Apple/Mac.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
The sound chips vary according to model, but they're pretty much the same sound chips found built in to midrange Windows PC's. You may like to Google general audio specs on "Intel HD Audio" as it is what all the audio controllers on any Mac currently sold are compatible with.

Or putting it another way, it's decent but nevertheless virtually any third-party card will better it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.