Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
We had the Jaguar spotted 'X' and now we're going to be seeing Panther - but there is some question as to what Panther Apple decides to go with - personally I like the black pather....;)

D

Attachments

• osmcomp.jpg
    osmcomp.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 497

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by mnkeybsness
i could see it being a bit of a darker black than dukestreet's "panther 1" and a bit more shiny

I agree - and I would have done that, but I don't have the time to make a really good version.

The black panther can be very cool.

D

dstorey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2002
I always thought that panthers had a purple tint to them, but i'm probably wrong.

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
Originally posted by mnkeybsness
i could see it being a bit of a darker black than dukestreet's "panther 1" and a bit more shiny

I agree. Deep black would be a really good colour for 10.3. We've had the 'pattern' look with 10.2, so a return to a more sophisticated look would be in order.

MorganX> Got lots to say, haven't you :rolleyes: :p

macphisto

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2002
At home
Black, all the way. Don't panther's (at least the black variety) have a little pattern to them? Which would be very cool to add with the addition of a varnish or aquias coating (on the printing press) to give it that extra cool sheen.

:D

funkywhat2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2002
The only problem with the black one is that Os X Server used to (not sure if it still does) have a dark grey "X" on the box. Personally, I don't think they'll even keep the code name this time over, and go back to the Aqua Blue logo. If they keep going with animal names, they'll eventually run out of strong, powerful animals to name products after and we'll have MacOS X "Goldfish".

trebblekicked

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2002
Chicago, IL, USA
i think the pink panther would be great:

(jeff goldblum voice)
introducing the world's most powerful personal computer, running the world's silliest operating system.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
And then there's the other question - what comes after Panther....Tiger, Ocelot, Puma, Lion, Bobcat?

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Wasn't Puma already used for 10.0 or 10.1? Oh well, I like the idea of Ocelot, but maybe it's a little obscure.

JW

dstorey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2002
mac os x ***** cat or mac os x thundercat, os x lion in zion

whats funny is that wasn't os x.0 not like cheater but it was lik the slowest of the lot.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by macphisto
Black, all the way. Don't panther's (at least the black variety) have a little pattern to them? Which would be very cool to add with the addition of a varnish or aquias coating (on the printing press) to give it that extra cool sheen.

:D

There's actually no species of black panther. People often see a big black cat and call it a black panther and sometimes Panthers are black but in truth nearly any large cat can be black due to a genetic trait of the melanin. That is why if you see the spots still. Even Jaguars come in black and the spots still show through in bright light.

Here's more information on the subject.

http://www.sandiegozoo.org/wildideas/kids/got_questions_panther.html

Oh, and Pink Panther. No, way. I like the movies but no one would take us serious besides I think the cartoon explains what Steve would do with the suggestion.

465.gif

bertagert

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2003
That's too funny! :D :D :D

On a serious note: what about a black box with silverish X?

Grrrooooowwwlll...PussyCat

Flynnstone

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Cold beer land
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by britboy
Personally I like the idea of the 'Pink Panther'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No.
Originally posted by MorganX
No.

Yes

macphisto

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2002
At home
Originally posted by MacBandit
There's actually no species of black panther. People often see a big black cat and call it a black panther and sometimes Panthers are black but in truth nearly any large cat can be black due to a genetic trait of the melanin. That is why if you see the spots still. Even Jaguars come in black and the spots still show through in bright light.

Here's more information on the subject.

http://www.sandiegozoo.org/wildideas/kids/got_questions_panther.html

Oh, and Pink Panther. No, way. I like the movies but no one would take us serious besides I think the cartoon explains what Steve would do with the suggestion.

465.gif

Cool thanks for the info. I always love to learn something new. :) But still that watermark concept would be cool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.