Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
dsc_0993.jpg

With MWSF right around the corner, I thought we should have a dedicated iTV thread. I personally am very interested in the concept, and pretty anxious to see what's behind the $300 price point. Here are some things to consider:

-Release date? When will we be able to rush apple.com and place our orders?

-The name iTV- Steve said it was a working name, but what will it be called in the end?

-Hard Drive? I read reports a month or so ago about the liklihood of a hard drive being included. I wouldn't be surprised, as $300 is a little much to ask for a glorified 802.11n router with component outs.

-Front Row 2.0? I imagine that the iTV will have an updated version of Front Row. Maybe a little quicker, more streamlined.

-Slimmed down OSX? How is the iTV going to select wireless networks, select a single machine to stream from, adjust network settings, playback settings, etc.?? I'm very interested to see how this works.

-Connectivity for an external hard drive? I don't see this as necessary as the whole idea is to stream media from a networked machine, but it could be useful.

-HDMI output? Would be great, to maintain a digital signal the whole way through (origin hard drive to television set)

-Integration with iPod/iPod video? I'm not so sure how this would work. Theoretically, if you own an iTV you also own a computer from which you're streaming media... why not just connect your ipod to that computer? Maybe any connectivity will simply allow you to play media from an ipod, with no syncing possible.

-HDDVD/Bluray player? Unlikely with the given price point, but who knows. Will it even be able to play DVDs?

-Easy DVD ripping and cataloging solution? Also unlikely... I can only imagine the lawsuits from the MPAA that would follow.

-Full iTunes/iPhoto/iMovie streaming capabilities through Front Row 2.0? I should hope so. I'd love to be able to stream full resolution photos from my G5 downstairs to the plasma in the living room.

-Supported file formats? Undoubtedly it will be able to play .mov, .mp4, .mp3, .aac, .aiff. But will it be able to play avi's or protected aac's? And how will you authorize it to play your protected video and music files? And will the iTV count as another machine in your 5 allowable authorizations?

-Any functions other than media streaming? Maybe a slimmed-down ichat? or the ability to add an iSight for video chatting via your television?

-Steve announced that it would operate on 802.11 technology. Presumably, high definition media would require N-protocol. As we've seen, Apple has already been distributing crippled 802.11n wireless cards that will likely require a small firmware update to open up full use of the N protocol. Will Apple also release an updated 802.11n airport card for us pre-intel mac users, or will we be tethered to it via ethernet?

Of course, this is all speculation at this point. But what are your thoughts? What is possible, and what's likely? $100,000,000 to whomever guesses all the specs spot-on.*

*Note: Your $100,000,000 prize will be 100% taxed.

EDIT: Thanks to Maxwell Smart for the pictures link.
dsc_1067.jpg

dsc_1072.jpg

dsc_1075.jpg

dsc_1074.jpg

This last pictures answers some of the above questions. Looks like the settings are accessed in a very iPodly way.

Bibulous

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
-Full iTunes/iPhoto/iMovie streaming capabilities through Front Row 2.0? I should hope so. I'd love to be able to stream full resolution photos from my G5 downstairs to the plasma in the living room.

I would like if we will be able to connect it to old powermacs or powerbooks that do not have a 802.11n card (or USB 2.0)?

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I would like if we will be able to connect it to old powermacs or powerbooks that do not have a 802.11n card (or USB 2.0)?

The device that Steve previewed appears to have an Ethernet port, so it sounds like you could connect it without using wireless.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
You ask all kinds of wonderful questions that I bet will be answered when the product is released. As for me, I am interested in buying iTV. I was not before but I did not know much about it and after reading up about the keynote and such I'm certain I want one. It'll look good next to the new LCD tv I'm about to buy. I hope it comes out, but I think this MW will be pricey for me. Leopard, iTV and whatever else they have!

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2006
London
This thing has definatley got something up its sleeve (for the price point - like you stated) either a built in HD or even thie speculated home server connectivity, id so buy that :)

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana

This is another question I had, but forgot to add in there...

What will the limitations be for those of us with 802.11g connections? Will there be an 802.11n airport card made available for us?

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
I've just noticed on the 'Settings' of the iTV it says "Unpair remote"... does that mean the remote is to be BlueTooth?!!

I btw, can't wait :)

Lixivial

macrumors 6502a
I've just noticed on the 'Settings' of the iTV it says "Unpair remote"... does that mean the remote is to be BlueTooth?!!

Not necessarily. Apple refers to pairing the remote with a computer in terms of the IR port. This is if you have multiple IR receivers in the same room (iPod Dock, iMac, MacBook). Here's an example. Being that the iTV does have an IR port, I'd imagine this will work in a similar process.

I'm still imagining that this has to have some sort of slimmed-down OS X install, and I'm curious as to how locked down it will be. Can this be used to boot a full install of OS X? Windows Media Center Edition? Linux/mythTV? Not saying I'd want to, I'm just saying I'm curious. I guess it all depends upon whether it's just a streaming device or is a full-fledged PVR, etc.

EDIT: I gotta say, though, as a person who's really just jumped into this whole Movie/Music Video/TV Show stuff, I'm extremely excited about the potential of iTV.

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
Granted, it partially goes against Apple's plan for selling us content on iTunes, but I really wish this thing had a optical disk drive of some sort in it. I rather replace "boxes" in the living room rather than add more.

Imagine iTV at a $450-500 pricepoint with HD-DVD or BlueRay built in. :D

spork183

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
-The name iTV- Steve said it was a working name, but what will it be called in the end?

it will be called the iOmniscient and it will do everything but wipe your nose. Nose wiping comes in the second generation...

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
This will be very tempting for me over the summer when I have money again...

No matter what "extra" features it has from what we already know.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
A lot of the stuff you question is answered in Steve Jobs speech about it. I cant frickin wait for it.

sixstorm

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2006
Nashville, TN
iTV needs to have a small version of OSX complete with Safari and iChat :D That would be a big selling point for me. It's nice to have my photos, movies and music on my LCD TV, but not for $300. I'll just spend a little more and just get a Mac Mini.

Jman888

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2006
Dvr?

I would love it at $50 for a stripped down one that can stream but has no hd but USB2.0 for connecting a external Hd. And can Record tv and sync to my new ipod :) (I dont get it i love video on my ipods screen..)

kalisphoenix

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
I'm getting a Mac mini.

* Other Macs are portable -- don't feel like streaming over Wireless-G or wiring down my laptops.

* Unknown which/how many codecs are supported, or how to augment them. I'm a big fan of DivX.

* Extra adapters needed to convert component to composite for my aging TV.

* I'd like to be able to insert a DVD, which will trigger a script that Handbrakes the flick onto my hard drive. Not possible with iTV.

* I'd like it to also serve my iTunes to me while I'm on campus, handle my BitTorrents and my website, and handle a blog or something. This role is a bit one-shot for me.

I'd really like to get the iTV, but in general I think the Mm's a better fit for me.

weldon

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2004
Denver, CO
I covered some ideas in my personal blog a few days ago, but the one that intrigues me the most is the iPod integration. I think it could do two things really well...

1. Provide the ultimate 10ft interface for the iPod. I have home movies, feature-length movies, music videos, videocasts, music, podcasts, lectures, and more on my iPod. And my friends do too. They should be able to drop their iPod into the dock on my iTV when they come to visit and I get a fantastic interface on my HDTV. Of course, it should also do this for the content I have on iTunes sitting on my computer, but the iPod integration allows friends to show stuff from their own iPods as well.
  2. Provide remote docking for a computer on your home network. If I'm going to connect the dock to the iTV, it should charge my iPod and act as a sync relay to my computer on my home network.

product26

Cancelled
May 30, 2005
I'm getting a Mac mini.

* Other Macs are portable -- don't feel like streaming over Wireless-G or wiring down my laptops.

* Unknown which/how many codecs are supported, or how to augment them. I'm a big fan of DivX.

* Extra adapters needed to convert component to composite for my aging TV.

* I'd like to be able to insert a DVD, which will trigger a script that Handbrakes the flick onto my hard drive. Not possible with iTV.

* I'd like it to also serve my iTunes to me while I'm on campus, handle my BitTorrents and my website, and handle a blog or something. This role is a bit one-shot for me.

I'd really like to get the iTV, but in general I think the Mm's a better fit for me.

ok...
goyou.gif
this is a thread about the iTV.

Personally I am excited to see what it will offer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.