Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Dec 31, 2006, 02:50 PM   #1
HelixOmnimedia
macrumors 6502a

Adding Descriptions - How?

Hello,

Just wondering how do you add descriptions to the TV Show or Movie?
If it's downloaded its provided for you, but I'm adding Movies and TV Shows from my collection before I head back to college.

And how come some have the little (I) which allows a window to pop up with the description inside? - Can I create that too?

THANKS
HelixOmnimedia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 04:55 PM   #2
GreeneGirl7
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelixOmnimedia View Post
Hello,

Just wondering how do you add descriptions to the TV Show or Movie?
If it's downloaded its provided for you, but I'm adding Movies and TV Shows from my collection before I head back to college.

And how come some have the little (I) which allows a window to pop up with the description inside? - Can I create that too?

THANKS
As far as I can see, it's some hidden tag that's only on there if the show is from the iTMS. How weird. I can't see any way to create a description for your own TV show files in iTunes.
GreeneGirl7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 05:04 PM   #3
Lixivial
macrumors 6502a

I use the AtomicParsley front-end called Lostify. As for the (i) descriptor, the creator of Lostify notes that it's likely a setting in the iTunes database file rather than file metadata.

To prove this, he offers this evidence: Download a movie from iTunes (it will have that popup). Delete it from iTunes. Re add it and the description will be there, but the (i) indicator is gone.

EDIT: In any event, you can set the description field, but not the (i) popup item.
Lixivial is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 05:23 PM   #4
HelixOmnimedia
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lixivial View Post
I use the AtomicParsley front-end called Lostify
THANKS

When I was opening the files in Lostify, can anyone tell me why some .mp4 open in iTunes (the icon) and Quicktime? and then others .m4v?
See picture below

HelixOmnimedia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 06:14 PM   #5
astrobot10
macrumors member

Hey there. If you're using Windows, feel free to use my program, LongDescription, which does exactly what you need. You can read about it at my blog (http://tvtagger.wordpress.com/) or download it directly from http://tvtagger.googlepages.com/LongDescription.rar
astrobot10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 11:35 PM   #6
Lixivial
macrumors 6502a

Hey that's really neat, astrobot10! I assume the fact that iTunes has to be open goes hand-in-hand with what the creator of Lostify classifies as a "switch somewhere set in iTunes." I still wish there was a better way of doing this without involving iTunes, but your method works and that's all that really matters.

Question, though, does the long description that is set follow the embedded plist format that Apple has used? I haven't played with your program enough to give it a test. I attached an AtomicParsley sample from Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest. Is a port to OS X in the works?

EDIT: Uhm, ew at the code tag. Attached as a txt file instead.
Attached Files
File Type: txt plist.txt (2.3 KB, 74 views)

Last edited by Lixivial; Jan 2, 2007 at 11:42 PM.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 02:26 PM   #7
astrobot10
macrumors member

Hi Lixivial. I've never even seen that embedded plist format before as I've never downloaded a movie from iTunes, but that's really interesting. I assume that iTunes writes the long description to its database, but I don't know for sure because all I'm using is the COM interface supplied by iTunes.exe to set it (it has a function to get/set the long description). I'm going to alert the creator of AtomicParsley to the presence of this plist format so that he can include it within the program.

As for an OS X port, I unfortunately do not own a Mac or have easy access to one to test on.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 08:17 PM   #8
Lixivial
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrobot10 View Post
I assume that iTunes writes the long description to its database, but I don't know for sure because all I'm using is the COM interface supplied by iTunes.exe to set it (it has a function to get/set the long description).
So you're using the iTunes COM for Windows SDK scripting events? Looking it up (as I've never used this), I assume you're using the LongDescription method?

Just for the sake of completeness, I'll attach two corresponding documents -- the full AtomicParsley (censored out my information) run on Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, and also its corresponding pop-up. AtomicParsley's website doesn't list the iTunEXTC or the iTunMOVI in its list of "inaccessible atoms." iTunEXTC can be set by most all taggers, including your own, as far as I know. Kudos on the work. I think it's really cool, and I'll be using Tagger 3 on my PC now. I've learned something here, so thanks.

Attached Files
File Type: txt atomic.txt (2.3 KB, 77 views)
Old Jan 3, 2007, 08:26 PM   #9
astrobot10
macrumors member

Quote:
So you're using the iTunes COM for Windows SDK scripting events? Looking it up (as I've never used this), I assume you're using the LongDescription method?
Yep. Glad to hear you're enjoying Tagger. And yes, it does support iTunEXTC. As soon as I can figure out how to do stuff with iTunMOVI, I'll add it in.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod