Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bronxbomber92

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 23, 2006
Hey, lately I been looking into Ruby (and RubyCocoa) and Python (and PyObjc). Both look like great scripting languages. I seem to like the actual Python language the best, but I don't know the their Cocoa bridges compare. Can anyone shed some light upon this? They both look mature, and each language is similar. Which one do you think has a brighter future, and will ultimately be stronger?

Please include which one you prefer, and why (ease of use, ect...)

Thanks!
Jedd

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
After getting burned by Apple dropping the java bridge, I'm somewhat suspicious of how well supported these other bridges will actually be by them...

bronxbomber92

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 23, 2006
Even if they aren't "supported" by Apple (which they will be) they will continue to evolve with out without Apple backing them. I just can't decide which one to use :p

Btw, Happy New Years everyone!

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I agree with Catfish Man, although I think this sounds very exciting because Ruby and Python are truly great languages, I'm skeptical. Too many Apple technologies have been touted in some PR blurb or another only be abandoned a year or two later. If Apple keeps up its end and makes these bridges efficient and complete, it'll be up to developers to really start using them to make some serious applications, proving the technology is not a toy. Then perhaps Apple will have to make long term commitments to maintaining and upgrading them. Maybe the best thing that could happen is for some devs inside Apple to set the example by using it in some prominant Apple products. To be successful, they must keep in sync with Obj-C and not be waiting around for fixes every time Apple changes something that breaks them. As a part-time developer, there is no way I want to cast my fate with an uncertain technology, to pour countless hours and blood and sweat into something which may or may not work next week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.