Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tjcampbell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2006
Vancouver
The only reason I am writing this on my new MBP is because my 12" PB died and would have been too expensive to fix (logic board). I'd have used her for years. Great machine. My initial attraction to the 12" was the mix of power and portability, BUT it dying was actually the best thing that ever happened. Although I was loyal to the size of the 12" G4, I am absolutely in love with my MBP's 15" screen, illuminated keyboard and blazing speed. It's a jump I would have never made if the 12" was still alive, but from death comes life and this sexy beast rocks!!! I feel like I'm carrying just a tad bit more and when I work on it I feel like I have a sleek command centre at my fingertips. This is the best machine I have ever owned.

madtodaimax

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2004
When i was looking at the powerbook line going to college last year the 12" packed a good amount of features into a small for factor. the form factor was important because space is limited especially in lecture halls and on desks when you have a lot of books out or just crap from the stuff in your dorm. it is very portable and a very decent if not powerful computer. The 13" MB honestly would be nice because my sister got one for christmas and i do notice a big difference and the form factor/featers (ishight and magsafe) are great, but my gripe is the keyboard layout which i find to be a little on the awkward side. the 12" has served me well and a i hope it continues to do so. it is pretty perfect for basic computer functions, dvd player, tv, and light music/video/photo editing.

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
My 12" PB 1 GHz is still acceptable for what I need it for and I can't afford a new computer. I am happy with the computer, but it is showing its age a little and would love to have a new one if I could afford it.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I have a 12" iBook and not a powerbook, but for me...

1) Weight and size vs. new models available... I've bitched enough about that. :eek:

2) I go through phases, and right now, I'm in a phase of liking to use my iMac... so I don't have as much notebook lust, because I use my iBook less and I just use it for Firefox/Adium when I do use it.

3) It got a new battery in the recall, which was really the only part of it that had deteriorated over time.

4) Just waitin' for Leopard and Vista to be officially released....

Passante

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
on the sofa
My 12 inch Powerbook can still do all I need it to do. My G4 MDD does the heavy photo and scanning work. Would love to get a new MacBook or MBP but there are lots of other toys that I want also.

Will replace my Powerbook in the next 12-24 months. Lets see what MacWorld expo brings us.

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!
The MacBook would be a perfectly fine size for me if only it had a discrete GPU. I need something that can match my iMac in everything but hard drive access times.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
I keep mine because of its form factor and decent performance for a G4-equipped notebook. My 12" PB still has 1.5 year worth of Applecare left. So, it something goes wrong, at least I have a warranty to fall back on. Because of its svelte aluminum casing, it does not look outdated compared to newer notebooks. I think PowerBook and MacBook Pro models age very well compared to Window-based notebooks.

EvryDayImShufln

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2006
For owners of the 12" Powerbook, what reasons are you keeping it? (or not trading for a MBP or MB?)

Powerbooks are sick. I have a 15 inch MBP and the only powerbook I like is the 12 inch, so small and sleek.

IMO it is the nicest looking laptop ever made. I love how the keyboard goes from one side to the other. It looks so solid and perfect.

zRedbullz

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
UK
My Uncle still adores his 12'' PB, and uses it to build up his family albums. Even so, he prefers his 12'' PB than his current 13'' Blackbook - loathes the new style keyboard.

There goes the saying ''If it ain't broke, don't fix it''.

bobinnv

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2007
The form factor and feel of the 12" PB is so good that I have resisted upgrading - the Macbook doesn't seem as solid as the PB, and I don't care for the plastic, and the 15" MBP seems like a monster compared to the 12".

On the other hand, my 12" PB has always had heat/fan issues, which unfortunately seem to be carried over to both the MB and MBP.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Apple doesn't offer me a direct upgrade from the 12" PB. I have to go up to a larger screen and heavier machine. I also won't touch a Glossy screen so the minimum I can upgrade to is a 15".

Mac'Mo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
NYC
because its smaller and lighter than any new Intel Apple notebook out on the market

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
My 12" PB 1 GHz is still acceptable for what I need it for and I can't afford a new computer. I am happy with the computer, but it is showing its age a little and would love to have a new one if I could afford
it.

Yes I must agree the 1 GHz is starting to show age, but the things I do on it have not really changed so its not a big deal. Compared to the MacBook and MacBook Pro I love the way my PowerBook looks a friend of mine has a MacBook Pro and him and I were trading some music and my PowerBook looked so small next to it yet they look alike so it makes my PowerBook look like its not really as old as it really is. I love the little thing, if I only had a new battery.

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2005
Simply cause there is no real reason for me to upgrade right now?
1.5ghz g4 is plenty for me, and will be for quite some time.

I've played around with the new macbooks, and there nice, but i love the look of the Al, and feel the powerbook has the best keyboard my fingers have ever touched! The mbp is a little to much in terms of $$$, and i'm not sure if i really want a 15inch laptop.

I'll upgrade it probally when i graduate college, sometime in 2009, when i have the funds and apple has a better re-design for the macbook. :)

EDIT: I forgot to mention that i also use the Notebook MS Word feature alot, and well MS + Rosseta=sucky! When i was playing around with it, it felt slower than my g4 powerbook... it also seems that alot of MB's are suffering from quality issues, moreso than the 12inch powerbooks...

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
Because it is soooooo neat.

p.s.
Of course it still does the job it was designed to do.

Had to replace the battery about a year ago.

FJ

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
I had a 12 inch ibook for the longest time, it was my only computer. And i loved the portability. But my 15 inch is just as portable for my needs (taking it to the library to study, on planes, ect) and i will not go back to a 12 inch. I love the extra screen space and in my opinion its just as portable. ;)

Chef Medeski

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2005
New York, NY
Size. Macbook feels to big compared to my little baby. Its like a light textbook. Its perfect to carry around. Plus it had plenty of power since I dont do anything Pro. Why upgrade when you cant get anything so small, and the Intel chip is the best u can get to upgrade. Not much in my opinion for thousand to upgrade.

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT
Agreed. I bring my PB 12" 867mhz pretty much everywhere I go. I plan to swap out the 60gb hard drive with a flash drive actually to extend the battery life. :cool:

dlowe402

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2006
I have fond memories of my 12" PB

But alas, she has passed. On to computer heaven...EBAY as parts. Due to an incident with a cat, my beloved 12" PB suffered an early death. I hadn't even thought of an upgrade because she was as stable as a Pack Mule and light as a feather. She did everything I demanded of her and was always there for me. After the incident, and a short mourning period, I found a great deal on a 15" MBP in the Apple Refurb bin. I gotta say, this is one sweet maching. It was like trading in a Camaro Z28 for a Vette. The glossy screen was a nice added touch too. I know they cost a bit more, but it seems worth it to me.

spork183

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
But alas, she has passed. Due to an incident with a cat, my beloved 12" PB suffered an early death. I hadn't even thought of an upgrade because she was as stable as a Pack Mule and light as a feather. She did everything I demanded of her and was always there for me.

I had a girlfriend like that once, except for the packmule part.

Hertog

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2005
It still works

I still work with my 12" PB because it still has the reasons I bought it for: It's small and powerfull. I didn't even buy it because it was a Mac: I needed a small, portable computer for on the road. OS X would be fun to try, at home where the serious work is done I would still have a fully equipped desktop.

Needles to say, after a month or so I hardly ever used my desktop and was working on the PowerBook (with an external screen, granted) all the time. And now I'm finally looking for a replacement. Not for the PowerBook, which will remain my trusted travel-companion since there is nothing equally small and light available, and it still feels powerfull enough. But my dust-collecting desktop will be replaced, and it will be replaced with a brand new iMac. Yes, I'm addicted now ;)

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I've got a 12'' iBook and I plan to keep it for a while. I don't really do much on it(FireFox, Pages) so its fast enough, and 12'' is a perfect size.

Not to mention I don't have the $$ for a MacBook

I plan to upgrade my Mac Mini before I do my iBook

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.