Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erkanasu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Is it worth $50 for the 15 inch MBP? Also, aside from the obvious lap advantages, how well does it work on a desk, is it comfortable typing inclined?

brad.c

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2004
50.813669°, -2.474796°
I can't say that I own an iLap, but I did have a look at one on the sales floor last week. The desk arrangement felt a little awkward on the counter, almost requiring separate keyboard and mouse. But that was at a counter, not a desk. Hopefully someone who has one can prove/disprove this observation in real-world situations.

I was disappointed in the look-and-feel of the stuffed wrist-rest pad for lap use. The velcro attachment wasn't solid, and the padding looked much larger than online photos suggested. I was planning to buy, but didn't. :(

erkanasu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
I can't say that I own an iLap, but I did have a look at one on the sales floor last week. The desk arrangement felt a little awkward on the counter, almost requiring separate keyboard and mouse. But that was at a counter, not a desk. Hopefully someone who has one can prove/disprove this observation in real-world situations.

I was disappointed in the look-and-feel of the stuffed wrist-rest pad for lap use. The velcro attachment wasn't solid, and the padding looked much larger than online photos suggested. I was planning to buy, but didn't. :(

hmmm that sucks, albeit, the reviews on amazon looked pretty good. Anyone else?

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2005
I have the 12inch ilap, and i can say i love it! i always elevated my laptop (by a textbook before) and this makes it alot better to type, because of the slant of the ilap!

When i use it on my lap, i don't use that cushion thing, i find it easier to type just using it in the "desk mode" even when using it on my lap.

Idk if it's worth $50, but that's how much all these things cost (icurve,etc) i found mine used for $30 or something, which is deffinetly better! It really doesn't matter if something like this is used imo so yeah...

goodluck.

brad.c

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2004
50.813669°, -2.474796°
I have the 12inch ilap, and i can say i love it! i always elevated my laptop (by a textbook before) and this makes it alot better to type, because of the slant of the ilap!

When i use it on my lap, i don't use that cushion thing, i find it easier to type just using it in the "desk mode" even when using it on my lap.

Idk if it's worth $50, but that's how much all these things cost (icurve,etc) i found mine used for $30 or something, which is deffinetly better! It really doesn't matter if something like this is used imo so yeah...

goodluck.

Good to hear. Maybe I'll take another look. Maybe at a different store.

CodyJ

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2006
I've got one

It was one of the first accessories that I purchased and it's wonderful. I got mine for about $40, but I would gladly pay more. It's nice design makes it comfortable from many different position when in your lap (I do a lot of typing in bed and it works wonders). Plus, once you take the cushion off it makes a nice desk stand.

Congratulations, you won't be disappointed.

Mac'Mo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
NYC
is this worth it, i didn't even pay 50+ for a case =( but i need something to protect me sperm

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I bought one off MR for a much more affordable price.

At first I was disappointed at how light (weight-wise) it was. But then it dawned on me, that makes sense for people who actually want a portable to be just that-- portable. :eek:

Otherwise, it definitely does the trick. Not like my lil' iBook ever really got that warm to begin with, but when using the iLap it really does a great job of dispersing the heat.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I love mine.

Since I picked one up, the other two laptop users in my house have purchased iLaps too, although the Dell owner calls it "the stand" instead of "iLap". :cool:

None of us use the cushion thing though. :D

Had a very awesome customer experience with the iLap folks where they ended up sending me four more of the rubber feet for free even though it was obviously user error on my end that screwed the originals up. :eek:

Mac'Mo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
NYC
my biggest concern is that it doesn't sit flat/straight when on your lap, since your lap isn't flat like a table top.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
my biggest concern is that it doesn't sit flat/straight when on your lap, since your lap isn't flat like a table top.
:confused: How would it be different than using your laptop w/out anything under it? Isn't the bottom of your laptop flat? Well, the bottom of what the iLap rests on is flat, too. :confused:

It wouldn't hurt you to check out iLap's official link that I posted in post #12.

TonicAngel

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2003
California
I love mine.

Since I picked one up, the other two laptop users in my house have purchased iLaps too, although the Dell owner calls it "the stand" instead of "iLap". :cool:

None of us use the cushion thing though. :D

Had a very awesome customer experience with the iLap folks where they ended up sending me four more of the rubber feet for free even though it was obviously user error on my end that screwed the originals up. :eek:

I noticed you do not use the cushion thing, does the stand show the laptop at eye level pretty much on a desk? Or should I be looking more into the icurve/ilevel/elevator thing for that?

erkanasu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Where to get it cheap?

Awesome, I think I'm ready to purchase one. Anyone have n e suggestions on getting it sub $50 price range? Thanks soo much.

Christina1971

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2007
Sorry to bump this old thread, but there's no need to start a new one for such a simple question - is there any reason you have to get an iLap for your specific computer? For example, I have a Macbook, but say I saw an iLap on sale that was cheaper than 50 bucks, but intended for a computer bigger than a Macbook. Any issues with that? Because that $50 pricetag is pretty hard to choke down.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
When I bought my iLap, I had a 15" PowerBook, so I bought the 15" iLap.

Then I traded my PB to a 13" MacBook. It worked fine on the 15" iLap. Obviously the MB is a bit small on it, but functionally, I didn't have any problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.