Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Jan 2, 2007, 05:42 AM   #1
monty77
macrumors 6502

Bootcamp: How do I boot in safe mode?

Something has screwed my WinXP install so need to boot into safe mode but the keyboard doesn't work at that screen to select it

Any ideas?
Thanks!
Adam
Old Jan 2, 2007, 06:27 AM   #2
phillipg
macrumors newbie

You know, I'm not sure this works, having never deigned to install Windows on my pure Apple hardware, but... ;-)

Try running MSCONFIG; choose the boot.ini tab and enable /SAFEBOOT with the appropriate option. Note, if you take this option, you will have to rerun MSCONFIG and enable Normal Startup Sequence, otherwise you will continually boot in Safe Mode.

HTH
phillipg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 06:50 AM   #3
monty77
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipg View Post
You know, I'm not sure this works, having never deigned to install Windows on my pure Apple hardware, but... ;-)

Try running MSCONFIG; choose the boot.ini tab and enable /SAFEBOOT with the appropriate option. Note, if you take this option, you will have to rerun MSCONFIG and enable Normal Startup Sequence, otherwise you will continually boot in Safe Mode.

HTH
How do I get to msconfig when I can't boot windows? Am I missing something? Can't even edit the files on the partition either, damn NTFS

Cheers,
Adam
Old Jan 2, 2007, 07:43 AM   #4
blaster_boy
macrumors regular

Wink

Pressing F8 while booting should get you into safe mode.

Mind you, I just typed 'safe boot windows' and got the link from microsoft, so it isn't hard to find that info yourself ;-)
blaster_boy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 08:40 AM   #5
balamw

Since you say the KB doesn't work I presume you have a BT keyboard...

You may need to keep a wired USB keyboard on hand precisely for this kind of thing.

B
Old Jan 17, 2007, 12:59 PM   #6
lexouille
macrumors newbie

F8 While windows is booting

I had the same issue, sometimes the keyboard would work, sometimes it didn't.

I figured out than if I boot OSX first and select Restart (not Shut down), then my F8 key was working while booting windows...

Try it, and let me know if it works...

For my issue, i installed Windows XP patch for WPA2, and since then, my windows doesn't want to go further than the "loading bar" screen.

I can boot in safe mode still... Anybody has an idea ?
lexouille is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 02:50 PM   #7
jeremy.king
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexouille View Post
I can boot in safe mode still... Anybody has an idea ?
Use System Restore to rollback to a known working state.
jeremy.king is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2008, 03:03 PM   #8
Consciousness
macrumors newbie

Talking

This Question is answerd in my thread : Booting XP in Safe Mode No Mouse

i simply loaded http://www.ntfs-3g.org/, which also requires an additional package you will be prompted to install, then you can edit the boot.ini on a NTFS partitioned drive with TextEdit (osx) to reboot normally simply remove Safemode:* from the boot.ini
Consciousness is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac