Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monty77

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
UK, South Coast
Something has screwed my WinXP install so need to boot into safe mode but the keyboard doesn't work at that screen to select it :(

Any ideas?
Thanks!
Adam

phillipg

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2007
You know, I'm not sure this works, having never deigned to install Windows on my pure Apple hardware, but... ;-)

Try running MSCONFIG; choose the boot.ini tab and enable /SAFEBOOT with the appropriate option. Note, if you take this option, you will have to rerun MSCONFIG and enable Normal Startup Sequence, otherwise you will continually boot in Safe Mode.

HTH

monty77

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
UK, South Coast
You know, I'm not sure this works, having never deigned to install Windows on my pure Apple hardware, but... ;-)

Try running MSCONFIG; choose the boot.ini tab and enable /SAFEBOOT with the appropriate option. Note, if you take this option, you will have to rerun MSCONFIG and enable Normal Startup Sequence, otherwise you will continually boot in Safe Mode.

HTH

How do I get to msconfig when I can't boot windows? Am I missing something? Can't even edit the files on the partition either, damn NTFS :(

Cheers,
Adam

blaster_boy

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2004
Belgium
Pressing F8 while booting should get you into safe mode.

Mind you, I just typed 'safe boot windows' and got the link from microsoft, so it isn't hard to find that info yourself ;-)

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Since you say the KB doesn't work I presume you have a BT keyboard...

You may need to keep a wired USB keyboard on hand precisely for this kind of thing.

B

lexouille

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2007
F8 While windows is booting

I had the same issue, sometimes the keyboard would work, sometimes it didn't.

I figured out than if I boot OSX first and select Restart (not Shut down), then my F8 key was working while booting windows...

Try it, and let me know if it works...

For my issue, i installed Windows XP patch for WPA2, and since then, my windows doesn't want to go further than the "loading bar" screen.

I can boot in safe mode still... Anybody has an idea ?

Consciousness

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2008
This Question is answerd in my thread : Booting XP in Safe Mode No Mouse

i simply loaded http://www.ntfs-3g.org/, which also requires an additional package you will be prompted to install, then you can edit the boot.ini on a NTFS partitioned drive with TextEdit (osx) to reboot normally simply remove Safemode:* from the boot.ini

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.