Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jkaz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Upper Mid West
I have an Airport Extreme base station hosting my internet for about 3 computers in my office.

Lately, I've been noticing some lag in my download speed.

I'm wondering if someone is jumping on and getting a free ride on my connection.

Is there anything the aiport admin utility that will tell me who is connected?

I've looked but am not too familiar and haven't found anything.

Thanks!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Apple has an Airport Client Monitor. For some reason, I'm having a lot of trouble finding a download link for you, though.

The most expedient solution, though, is to apply standard security precautions -- implement MAC filtering and WPA2, and make the network hidden, and stop worrying about it! :)

Ahhh...

Here #1 - a previous discussion here on this topic.

Here #2 - the download page -- "Airport Management Tools," lower right side.

jkaz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Upper Mid West
thank you very much for your help.

have any advice as to how to use it? i've given it a fairly thorough look and alot of it is still not making much sense.

thanks!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Download and install the tools, run the Airport Management Tool. Find the router on the left, click on it, then click on the monitor tab. It gives you the MAC addresses of all connected devices.

jkaz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Upper Mid West
ok, got that far and i have identified the two apple computers on my desk.

is there a good trick to determine the location of the other two computers on the list?

are there identifiers telling me what type of computer is connected?

and will the pc that is sharing my connection through ethernet off a mac on the wireless show up on this list?

i can't thank you enough!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
is there a good trick to determine the location of the other two computers on the list?

are there identifiers telling me what type of computer is connected?

and will the pc that is sharing my connection through ethernet off a mac on the wireless show up on this list?

- Locations - not that I know of

- Identifiers - the first three pairs in the MAC address identify the manufacturer. You can use something like this website to find out which is which.

- Ethernet shares - no, they shouldn't, because the router doesn't assign them an IP address (the sharing host computer creates another layer and assigns a subnet IP). Only devices that have a unique WiFi connection to the router show up.

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.