Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 2, 2007, 08:01 PM   #1
hinkbot
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
OS X Browser Hijack?

I just noticed on my macbook that when I get Page Not Found, the browser redirects to some random website.

according to the website, some of the urls are:
wbr40.com
foxic.net

the stuff i seem to find on the internet to remove this deal only with Windows. How do I got about removing this Hijacker?

I have Parallels installed on the computer, but haven't used in a while. Could that be part of the problem?

Please help!!

Last edited by hinkbot; Jan 2, 2007 at 08:16 PM.
hinkbot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 08:05 PM   #2
Aniej
macrumors 68000
 
Aniej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
i actually don't have an answer, but just am a bit surprised. if I have this right, you're saying when you get a website that will not open for some reason, you are automatically sent to one of the sites you listed above? are these working active sites and what is their point, are they selling something? how about blocking those sites so that they don't open up either; if you are only getting there because you have a page that won't load, what's the harm in the second result being, well a page that won't load?
Aniej is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 08:07 PM   #3
bearbo
macrumors 68000
 
bearbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinkbot View Post
I just noticed on my macbook that when I get Page Not Found, the browser redirects to some random website.

according to the website, some of the urls are:
wbr40.com
foxic.net

the stuff i seem to find on the internet to remove this deal only with Windows. How do I got about removing this Hijacker?

I have Parallels installed on the computer, but haven't used in a while. Could that be part of the problem?

Please help!!
what browser are you using?
bearbo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 08:10 PM   #4
hinkbot
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearbo View Post
what browser are you using?
the problem occurrs in both firefox and safari.
hinkbot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 08:11 PM   #5
hinkbot
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniej View Post
i actually don't have an answer, but just am a bit surprised. if I have this right, you're saying when you get a website that will not open for some reason, you are automatically sent to one of the sites you listed above? are these working active sites and what is their point, are they selling something? how about blocking those sites so that they don't open up either; if you are only getting there because you have a page that won't load, what's the harm in the second result being, well a page that won't load?
i don't wan't to click around on the sites, but they appear to be some sort of fake portal page that will most likely link to some porn page. In fact, some of the hijacks are for porn.

I am worried that something else is running besides this.
hinkbot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 08:21 PM   #6
bearbo
macrumors 68000
 
bearbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinkbot View Post
i don't wan't to click around on the sites, but they appear to be some sort of fake portal page that will most likely link to some porn page. In fact, some of the hijacks are for porn.

I am worried that something else is running besides this.
the worrys are understandable... that sounds like adware or other melware... try some anti-virus app to see if those would help, i m sure there's more than norton out there that's for mac, i just dont know any
bearbo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 08:29 PM   #7
Nermal
Moderator
 
Nermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Whakatane, New Zealand
Open up Terminal and type "cat /etc/hosts" then paste the results back here.
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 08:33 PM   #8
Aniej
macrumors 68000
 
Aniej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinkbot View Post
i don't wan't to click around on the sites, but they appear to be some sort of fake portal page that will most likely link to some porn page. In fact, some of the hijacks are for porn.

I am worried that something else is running besides this.
wait did you say porn???? can you forward me those sites please, ummm errr clearly as a means to help resolve your problem.
Aniej is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 08:35 PM   #9
hinkbot
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
Open up Terminal and type "cat /etc/hosts" then paste the results back here.
##
# Host Database
#
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1 localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1 localhost
hinkbot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 09:25 PM   #10
hinkbot
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinkbot View Post
##
# Host Database
#
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1 localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1 localhost

well, it appears that I have resolved the issue, and it turns out to be something totally unrelated to malware. The macbook connected to a different wireless network in my apartment building. i am not sure how exactly that happened, but switching it back to my router has appeared to resolve the problem.

Strange.
hinkbot is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cryptolocker Hijack Program - URGENT ATTN alksion OS X Mavericks (10.9) 10 Oct 26, 2013 06:44 PM
Android can be used to take over/hijack an airplane Explicitic Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 8 Apr 12, 2013 08:48 PM
Apple hijack my new rMBP... shansoft MacBook Pro 37 Oct 28, 2012 02:48 AM
How to check and prevent DNS hijack?? bp1000 OS X 1 Aug 22, 2012 10:03 AM
Audio Hijack Pro, anything like it for the PC?? Sweetfeld28 Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 Jun 5, 2012 06:54 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:27 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC