Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

billchase2

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 28, 2006
Ann Arbor
My buddy just called a few minutes ago telling me that when he got home tonight, he saw his MacBook was sitting in a puddle of water and didn't know what to do. I had him remove the battery immediately and made sure it was getting no electricity. He does not know if water got in... and if so, how much... and didn't know what to do. Any tips out there on what he can do?? Also, does the 1 year warranty cover water damage like this incase something does go wrong?

ericssonboi

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2005
Make sure the system has no power.

Let everything dry off for 3 days to be safe.. in an vented area..

If you power it on before its dry.. you risk short circuting the system.

Warranty does not cover water damage..

billchase2

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 28, 2006
Ann Arbor
Obviously the battery was connected when this happened... so would that make things much worse? He did unplug it all immediately when I told him to though. I know there are much worse substances (like pop)... but I'm sure water can be bad enough too. Any experiences with water? Or any other info I can get? He'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

spork183

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
Also, does the 1 year warranty cover water damage like this incase something does go wrong?

The one year warranty covers water damage, coffee spills, vomit, and any other liquid problems. Just take the warranty card out of the packaging, put it on the spill, and let it soak it up...

No, water damage and other unfortunate acts of god are not covered.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
Shame on you that your Apple doesn't have as good a coverage as Dell's premium warranty, which for your buddy's information, does cover water damage, and even theft for the first year.

spork183

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
Shame on you that your Apple doesn't have as good a coverage as Dell's premium warranty, which for your buddy's information, does cover water damage, and even theft for the first year.

For the price of Dull's premium warranty, you can replace the plumbing in the entire house and make sure this never happens again.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
For the price of Dull's premium warranty, you can replace the plumbing in the entire house and make sure this never happens again.

Ironically it costs no more than the 3 year Applecare.

But we are Mac users, Applecare is a worthless piece of sh*te that should have been included free which we have to pay for, which covers pretty much nothing anyway.

spork183

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
Ironically it costs no more than the 3 year Applecare.

But we are Mac users, Applecare is a worthless piece of sh*te that should have been included free which we have to pay for, which covers pretty much nothing anyway.

but, but, my imac comes in white. top that!

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005

I hope you dont have AppleCare because you probably could have also replaced the plumbing in an entire house too...

the warranty is about the same price as you would find for AppleCare, for laptops. But you get accidental protection as well. If you want it cheaper than AppleCare you can opt out of the accidental protection

do some research before you spread misinformed information please

spork183

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
I hope you dont have AppleCare because you probably could have also replaced the plumbing in an entire house too...

the warranty is about the same price as you would find for AppleCare, for laptops. But you get accidental protection as well. If you want it cheaper than AppleCare you can opt out of the accidental protection

do some research before you spread misinformed information please

actually, if you read the exchange, it was tongue firmly in cheek. Before you get annoyed, examine some nuance please.

MiniMan.

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2007
UK
about the wet mac thing you should leave it for a few weeks to dry i watched this program that randomly said if you drop an ipod in a pint of beer u should leave it for 3 weeks!!

spork183

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
about the wet mac thing you should leave it for a few weeks to dry i watched this program that randomly said if you drop an ipod in a pint of beer u should leave it for 3 weeks!!

begs the question of why an ipod would find its way into a pint of beer, but that's for another thread...

There ought to be a way to speed the drying process. I don't know, put it in a bathroom with an electric heater, bag it with a dehumidifier. The length of time I'm sure is only to make sure it completely dries out, so anything that reduces humidity and raises temperature within reasonable limits should help.

MiniMan.

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2007
UK
i never said id want to put an ipod in a pint of beer but it was on a tv show random i know ! but hay its telly!

orangemacapple

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2006
Raleigh
put it in a bag of those little "do-not-eats" silica gel thingies and place it BEHIND your refrigerator for a few days.

after you've completely forgotten where you put it, go buy a new mb.

the next time you buy a new fridge, your mb should work fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.