Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006

pagansoul

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2006
Earth
Apple does not own the word 'mini'. It's a nice size as forms go and there was bound to be other companies to use it. With so many companys with external HD the same size I suprised we don't see more and in different colors.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
:D

Sarcasm aside, I mean it's very expensive compared to the Mac mini.

Even if you include the keyboard and mouse.

Don't forget it's also got a crap motherboard, wheras all the Apple logic boards use pretty high quality components.

PLUS, which OS does it run again? :p

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
Apple does not own the word 'mini'. It's a nice size as forms go and there was bound to be other companies to use it. With so many companys with external HD the same size I suprised we don't see more and in different colors.

I am sure Apple has a case.

For starters why must the copy also be square shaped (from the top) with such similar physical proportions AND a similar name?

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
Even if you include the keyboard and mouse.

Don't forget it's also got a crap motherboard, wheras all the Apple logic boards use pretty high quality components.

PLUS, which OS does it run again? :p

I'd rather Apple take some of that mythical high quality components out of their logic boards (not true) and put some of that moolah where it matters (LCD).

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Well once again someone has ripped off an Apple product, and they are even using Mini in the name.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?sku=SYXS-MP-023362&CMP=EMC-TIGEREMAIL&SRCCODE=WEM1270OP

This is getting pretty sad. Also if Apple legal is not all over them for this I will be VERY surprised.

Christopher
lol, u dont know what u are talking about. this line of product was out years ago, at that time, some ppl called it mac mini rip off and predicted apple would sue it,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AOpen
the truth is, the manufacturer (Aopen) declared that they designed the concept with no relationship with apple, and in deed, apple didn't sue them after all.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
AOpen said:
The Mac mini did a lot of mouths fall open of stupefaction. With the MiniPC a full, more strongly and more flexible alternative for the product of Apple is offered by AOpen. The machine can be sold soon.........

The most important sales argument is that the MiniPC runs on Windows!

More here :)

cmcconkey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2005
Rocky Face, GA
lol, u dont know what u are talking about. this line of product was out years ago, at that time, some ppl called it mac mini rip off and predicted apple would sue it,
the truth is, the manufacturer (Aopen) declared that they designed the concept with no relationship with apple, and in deed, apple didn't sue them after all.

Hmmm well whoops... missed that one... oh well. But apparently I am not the only one that missed it.

CM

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
The antenna at the back waves "Designed in China".

And I thought the chinese characters on the warranty sticker and super long, un-elegant product name were a dead giveaway :eek:

The difference is the AOpen miniPC looks like something that dripped out of my butthole. Aside from that, cube-shaped and really small computers have always been with Apple since the 80s. LC anybody?

And, even more important, the AOpen thing and the Mac mini really do not look like each other. This thing, however, is obviously trying to look similar to the Mini.

3CCD

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2006
FL and NJ
Wow, well at least we know Apple is the creator and pioneer of the little mini. Once you Mac you never go back....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.