Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jan 3, 2007, 06:50 PM   #1
aminadab
macrumors regular

Selling iBook

Quick question: I'm selling an iBook on ebay. It has AppleCare and is advertised as such. A potential bidder wants the registration number / serial number to confirm this. Is there any reason why I shouldn't disclose this information?
aminadab is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2007, 07:15 PM   #2
mac000
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by aminadab View Post
Quick question: I'm selling an iBook on ebay. It has AppleCare and is advertised as such. A potential bidder wants the registration number / serial number to confirm this. Is there any reason why I shouldn't disclose this information?
i think you should just go to apple.com/support pop in ur serial # in the lower right hand bracket, take a snapshot of the screen and smudge out the serial # itself but proove to him that the warranty is still good. i dont have applecare (yet) so i'm not sure if this would the right thing to do but its my suggestion.
mac000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2007, 09:17 PM   #3
aquajet
macrumors 68020

I don't understand the paranoia some people have with disclosing the serial numbers of their Apples. It's not as if some crook up to no good can do anything with it.

Regardless, there's no reason to do so unless you find yourself in a situation such as this, when a potential buyer wants to confirm that you are indeed telling the truth.
aquajet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2007, 07:34 AM   #4
VanMac
macrumors 6502a

I think you would be better off just proving to him that it has apple care, and you will disclose serial #s at end of bidding.

People always find creative ways to use information. Keep it secret, Keep it safe.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 09:43 AM   #5
DarkNetworks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac000 View Post
i think you should just go to apple.com/support pop in ur serial # in the lower right hand bracket, take a snapshot of the screen and smudge out the serial # itself but proove to him that the warranty is still good. i dont have applecare (yet) so i'm not sure if this would the right thing to do but its my suggestion.
It will do it, I've just tested it with mine. If I were in your shoes, I will opt for this option. It definitely proves that you still are on AppleCare but you got to do the simple maths of course.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs