Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

00hkelly

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 15, 2006
To cut a long story short I ordered a mbp in late november but due to a series of delays i did not get it on dec 15th when i was meant to and now have to wait untill jan 11th.

i am just worried that my new computer will be an old model before i even get it. i know that it will still be an amazing machine, however it would be crap if it was.

I know there have been few if any rumors of an upgrade to the line at MWSF i was just wondering if anybody knew anything or could put my mind to rest. Many thanks,
Hugo

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I highly doubt we will see MBP upgrades at MWSF, so rest easy. And even so, your machine doesn't become obsolete just because a new model comes out...the current MBP is a solid machine that will last you a long time.

00hkelly

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 15, 2006
it would be nice to see maybe a magnetic latch and stuff on the mbp but i would be so angry if it was updated before i got mine, this would be like when my dad got my broken 4g ipod replaced with an ipod photo on the day they released the 5g video:(

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
it would be nice to see maybe a magnetic latch and stuff on the mbp but i would be so angry if it was updated before i got mine, this would be like when my dad got my broken 4g ipod replaced with an ipod photo on the day they released the 5g video:(

magnetic latch for MBP? i'm quite sure the latch for MBP is magnetic... and i'm not sure if the thing on MB is even considered a latch.

00hkelly

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 15, 2006
you know what i mean lol anyway its only been 3ish months since the mbp update was announced and the 17" models didnt even show up until november time so i really hope they dont update the models. even for apple its a bit hasty.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
yes, your new MBP will be completely and utterly obsolete by the time you get it. Hope your not planning on running leopard on it, or iTunes 8, or iLife '07. Because you simply won't be able to, didn't you realize that Mac users must buy a top of the line machine every 6-8 weeks just to keep up with the new software?

Boy you made a pretty silly purchase, you should probably just return it.

highres

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2005
Near the Singularity
People that scramble every time a newer, faster machine is released on the market are rediculous. You buy a machine that suit your needs and that's it. 95% of the users on here that are always talking about more and more processor power, faster drives, yadda, yadda, yadda use their machines as glorified web browsers or email machines most of the time anyway.

Now I get as excited about emerging new technologies and software as the next guy, but I bet if you took a real poll here you would find out that most users, even the few that DO work in heavy production environments (either print or video), aren't realizing noticeable gains in their productivity from one revision to the next.

I've worked as an Art Director in prepress and print design environments for years and can say that our agency and most of the others I know won't adopt a new technology for at least 8 months to a year after release, when your livelihood actually depends on your computer, you wait until the bugs and kinks have been worked out and until the price drops to a reasonable range. Common sense.

Opening a large image file 30 seconds or even a minute faster almost makes no difference at all for your average Mac user.

People who get so caught up in "processor envy" and worrying whether their new MBP will be "obsolete" in 6 months are missing the key question which is, "How much computing power do I really need to accomplish the tasks I use my computer for daily? If they answer honestly they usually realize that what they have is quite adequate for their needs.

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
ok I just need to point out two slightly irksome posts:

Yep it will.......every 6 months.....
Are you kidding me? You are in a mac forum, not windows. I have my powerbook G4, which is an absolutely amazing machine from 2003/early 04. There is not a single obsolete aspect about it, hold for the fact that I cannot run a program like bootcamp, but when the time is right I will make my move, right now there is just very little I actually need windows for that isn't already compatible with my current powerbook. But seriously, don't post inane comments for the sake of riling someone up. don't mean to be harsh, just don't want to see our newer members turned off by the prospect of something that is not true at all.

you know what i mean lol anyway its only been 3ish months since the mbp update was announced and the 17" models didnt even show up until november time so i really hope they dont update the models. even for apple its a bit hasty.

Be honest, were you really laughing out loud? what's that, no? oh ok.
--
In response to the direct question, no it will not be obsolete if an update occurs at MWSF, which is unlikely. But, if and when it one does occur you are likely to see changes related to the wireless card, front bus and HDD capacity. These are improvements, not changes that will result in obsolescence. You will have a great comp, and in the odd chance something changes a bit, the only thing missing is the "best toy on the block" appeal that will soon fade into holy cr*p I have one amazing machine.

popelife

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2006
I think the concern is more to do with the hundreds of bucks that get wiped off the resale value as soon as a new model comes out.

For people like me that can't afford to update their machines too frequently, that can really sting if you get the timing wrong.

Basic rule: don't buy in the month before MacWorld. Even if there's no update, it's not worth the frayed nerves.

Rule 2: beware Apple's "special offers". A week after the offer runs out, something cool tends to happen.

Me, I broke both my own rules. New MBP should arrive pretty much the day of the keynote. Oops. But I'm confident it'll be fine. And yes, I did just cross my fingers.

Planner Dude

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2006
ok I just need to point out two slightly irksome posts:

Are you kidding me? You are in a mac forum, not windows. I have my powerbook G4, which is an absolutely amazing machine from 2003/early 04. There is not a single obsolete aspect about it, hold for the fact that I cannot run a program like bootcamp, but when the time is right I will make my move, right now there is just very little I actually need windows for that isn't already compatible with my current powerbook. But seriously, don't post inane comments for the sake of riling someone up. don't mean to be harsh, just don't want to see our newer members turned off by the prospect of something that is not true at all.

Be honest, were you really laughing out loud? what's that, no? oh ok.
--
In response to the direct question, no it will not be obsolete if an update occurs at MWSF, which is unlikely. But, if and when it one does occur you are likely to see changes related to the wireless card, front bus and HDD capacity. These are improvements, not changes that will result in obsolescence. You will have a great comp, and in the odd chance something changes a bit, the only thing missing is the "best toy on the block" appeal that will soon fade into holy cr*p I have one amazing machine.

I think the poster was saying that if you think a new model will make yours obsolete (perception is everything), then after 6 months (about the average updated for the intel macs), your model will be obsolete.

I really don't think anyone believes that the hardware will literally be obsolete every 6 months....it'll just be cheaper

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
I hear your point, but that is sort of my point as well. The use of verbose and over the top terms to describe the impending doom that will result by any addition to the MBP line. Anyway, I hear ya, but I am just saying these are great products.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
yes, your new MBP will be completely and utterly obsolete by the time you get it. Hope your not planning on running leopard on it, or iTunes 8, or iLife '07. Because you simply won't be able to, didn't you realize that Mac users must buy a top of the line machine every 6-8 weeks just to keep up with the new software?

Boy you made a pretty silly purchase, you should probably just return it.

You forgot the [sarcasm] tags on your post.

ForeverUnknown

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2006
ob·so·lete

Function: adjective

1 a : no longer in use or no longer useful
b : of a kind or style no longer current : OLD-FASHIONED

If they update, will your Mac not be the current forerunner in technology? Yeah maybe. But will you still be able to use your Mac if they update? Yes. Will you still be productive which is the reason you bought a computer in the first place? Yes.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
...before my MBP i was using my Pentium 4 1.7GHz with 256mb PC133 RAM and GeForce 4800Ti SE. I built it myself back in 7th grade. Was that obsolete?

It's still working. Hopefully my MBP will follow the same trend. I'll be out of college when i buy my next computer, desktop or laptop.

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
i don't think it was sarcastic actually. If you look at any of her other posts they are all very similar to the one we are talking about. I'm usually pretty good on sarcastic, but maybe I dropped the ball on this one.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
You forgot the [sarcasm] tags on your post.

No I didn't. The current crop of Apple computers will be useless within the next 4 weeks probably. I mean if I buy a Mac Pro today there's no chance I'll still be using it in February. That would just be foolish. I'll of course have to upgrade. I might be able to donate it to an under privilege school for a tax write off I suppose.

00hkelly

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 15, 2006
obselete was a bad choice of word, I am just worried that when i receive my mbp it is already going to be the downgrade of a model. i know that it will not be the top forever but when you spend $2500 on a laptop expecting it to be the best one it is nice to have it for a while before it is overtaken.

i wouldnt really mind if there were minor changes under the hood as im not really a power user and bar some boot camp games and aperture and maybe some FCE i probably wont stress it much. If changes were made asthetically though i would be annoyed, i personally really like the keyboard and the latch on the macbook how well these would look on the mbp is debatable but i certainly think that the mbp needs a fresh look (not to say that i dont love the current one, 'if it isnt broken don't fix it').

its just not nice to receive a new machine when you know that you could have something better when you are getting it. i would have had this in early december if the person ordering hadn't cocked it up in which case i wouldn't have an issue however I would have waited until after MWSF if i had not placed the order about a week after they announced the C2D. its just gonna be annoying if they do release a newer one. im already annoyed that i have been waiting 3 months!!

ps. sorry to witter.

reflex

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2002
Not something I'd normally recommend, but since it's taken a lot longer than you were promised, you could always consider just cancelling your current order.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.