Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Other World Computing pre-announced the Axiotron ModBook today.... a 3rd party Mac "tablet computer solution".

The ModBook is a Mac tablet computer solution with these features:

• Write and draw directly on screen!
• True pen & handwriting recognition
• Built in iSight Camera
• Integrated CD/DVD combo drive
• The ONLY Mac solution with an optional built-in Global Positioning System
• Aircraft grade magnesium alloy for all terrain use

The ModBook will apparently be a heavily modified MacBook in the tablet form-factor and will be officially unveiled at Macworld Expo on January 9th. A hands-on trial of the device will be available at that time.

This year, MacRumors will be posting photos and reports from Macworld booths. A Macworld San Francisco sub-forum has been opened and we encourage vendors to register and participate in the discussion of their products.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
they have to be pretty confident that Apple's not releasing a tablet at MWSF... :)

arn

albeik

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2003
Marlborough, MA, USA
Interesting teaser they have on there website...
Home_20070104_02.jpg

Texas04

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2005
Texas
Since when do other people.. companies make Mac hardware?

Furthermore since when do other people make computers that can run OS X.

know-it-all5

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2006
USA
Are you serious? In all seriousness, has the validity of this been checked. I checked the link and it left me a bit skeptical. Plus there is now way apple would let someone else make a computer that they have using their os.
IS THIS REAL?

Bonte

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2002
Bruges, Belgium
I want a real clone, not a mod :(

Changing the ROM with some PC notebooks is enough to let it install a normal MacMini osX DVD, it can't be long until someone offer's a osX compatible PC's. Right?

Bonte

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2002
Bruges, Belgium
Are you serious? In all seriousness, has the validity of this been checked. I checked the link and it left me a bit skeptical. Plus there is now way apple would let someone else make a computer that they have using their os.
IS THIS REAL?

They buy a Macbook and mod it to a Tablet at twice the price, thats all.

MacQuest

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
You See Dead People...
:eek: HOLY SHIZZLE!!! :eek:

Like I said all throughout 2006, 2007 will be the year that Apple breaks into new markets and does to them what the iPod/iTunes combination did to the digital music player/legal online content distribution markets.

Gentlemen, THIS IS WAR!!! :cool:

know-it-all5

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2006
USA
This isn't gonna hog up any of the keynote right?

Oh and does modbook mean they modded a macbook to be a tablet? wont apple sue them for selling modded versions of their product under their nose, and introducing it at THIR TRADESHOW?

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
Weird, seems like a dicy move if a) Apple makes a tablet and b) Apple Legal Department....

Why? They likely make you purchase a MacBook (on your dime), ship it to them, and then they modify it to make it a tablet and give it back to you. This would obviously void Apple's warranty so they also likely provide support for this modified MacBook.

know-it-all5

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2006
USA
Why? They likely make you purchase a MacBook (on your dime), ship it to them, and then they modify it to make it a tablet and give it back to you. This would obviously void Apple's warranty so they also likely provide support for this modified MacBook.

that sounds realistic though, as long as its not an actual "new" product that is gonna hog my true vpod time at macworld. lol

johncarync

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2005
Cary, NC

It's all legal...
Imagine someone buying a Corvette, modifying it with a higer horsepower engine and adding a huge spoiler to the back. Then they sell it to a buyer for a higher price.

I believe OWC is purchasing MacBooks from Apple, modifying them, and then selling them for a higher price. It is completely legal. It's similar to what the Outbound computer company did in 1989 when they came out with a Macintosh portable.

Whether or not OWCs Tablet Mac is profitable for them remains to be seen.

-John

Lynxpoint

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2005

Also, if colorware can buy macs, paint them, and resell them why can't a company buy macs, change a few parts, and resell them?

Clive At Five

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2004
St. Paul, MN
Shady but legal. I will be very interested to see how this plays out, both within the next couple days, but also in the long-term. Could this be the beginning of a new type of "legal" clone?

I guess Apple can test market a tablet for free now. HA! :p

That much is the truth.

-Clive

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
they have to be pretty confident that Apple's not releasing a tablet at MWSF... :)

arn

I doubt they really know one way or the other. You, more than anyone, know these people don't usually get any privileged information. They're just taking a risk, and it's probably a relatively safe one.

BBC B 32k

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2005
London
C R A Z Y

can't stop laughing ... :D :D :D

seriously this has made my day, the only thing which will make me laugh more is if by some temperal-field-warp Apple release a tablet PC at macworld also!

sweetandsour

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2003
London, UK

It makes good sense. I imagine this has all been discussed and agreed with apple.

No more tablet R&D for apple, no new product support for apple, no embarrassment if no-one buys one.
But if lots of people buy one, then apple sell heaps of extra macbooks (to OWC) that they already make a good margin on for negligible extra effort.
If the market goes crazy for 'em, then apple can always make their own, having done all the market testing / user feedback for free.

Win-Win-Win situation. Smart.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.