Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

liketom

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
Luxpro, a Taiwanese electronics firm, has said it will sue computer maker Apple for $100m (£52m) in damages.

The move follows a legal battle Luxpro fought with Apple over some of the Taiwanese firm's digital music players.

Apple accused Luxpro of copying its iPod Shuffle, and won an injunction in Taiwan to halt production.

This ruling was later overturned after Luxpro appealed to the Taiwanese High Court and Supreme Court, clearing the way for it to sue for lost revenues.

'Significantly dissimilar'

Apple's iPod digital music players, which include the Shuffle model, are the world's best-selling, and have been a main driver of the company's earnings over the past few years.

Rival producers have been trying to win themselves a chunk of this valuable market.

Luxpro's MP3 player was a similar size to Apple's Shuffle, and was also made of white plastic.

However, the courts in Taiwan found that "the appearances of the two products are significantly dissimilar".

According the Financial Times, Luxpro's chairman Wu Fu-chin said the company wanted to recoup lost revenues caused by the initial court injunction.

He added that the company had recently started reselling its Super Tangent digital players "in Latin America and eastern Europe".

link here

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Just in case you never saw it, here's the LuxPro "SuperShuffle" (later rebranded to Super Tangent) they're talking about. Something immediately familiar about it, isn't there... :rolleyes:

supershuffle.jpg

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
It's not only that but they copied the look of the packaging, too.

I can understand that they should be allowed to make money but they could design their own products with designs that are their own. (I suppose Apple copied them, right?)

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
No lie: I almost bought one of these on eBay a while back when it was called Super Shuffle. I thought it was a regular old Shuffle. Although that doesn't say much for me, it certainly says something about how "dissimilar" this product isn't from the iPod Shuffle.

Apple should just buy out Luxpro and shut it down. Companies like that don't deserve to survive.

wozzlewoozle

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2005
sarkoland
I can understand how the taiwanese high court would rule that they were 'significantly dissimilar' justice (or in this case it seems the justices) is (are) blind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.