Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

TheStreet.com is publishing a rumor that Steve Jobs may be taking a leave of absence from Apple. No further explanation is provided, as the rumor is simply stated as an announcement is forthcoming.

Rumors regarding Steve Jobs can often get out of hand, and the current rumor may simply reflect speculation based upon the ongoing SEC stock option backdating investigation. The Street in 2005 issued apparently false rumors that Apple and Google would partner to deliver iTunes tracks through Google.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Obviously, this rumor with no supporting information should be taken with a huge grain of salt, but if it is true, let's hope it's not due to any health issues. Everyone is so focused on the options issue that we forget about Steve's past health problem. There's been no public indication that he's had a relapse of any sort, so I'm really just throwing it out there as an alternative possibility.

Let's hope that a) everything is fine with Steve, and b) this rumor doesn't come to pass anytime soon, for whatever reason might precipitate it.

Clive At Five

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2004
St. Paul, MN
Okay, IF Steve is going on LOA, and IF the PhonePod is real, would it be reasonable to deduce that Steve would wait until it is announced before he left?

Learning toward 'yes?'

-Clive

Zweben

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2004
Nooo!!!

I hope this proves to be about as true as the Apple PDA rumors.

mattalici

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2003
LA
uh, NO NO NO

C'mon! It's MacWorld time! Quit tryin to rain on my parade!

Leave of absence? WTH is that supposed to mean anyway? Does he leave for awhile and then come back and ... WHAT? THis makes no sense. I SERIOUSLY doubt this. How about Steve just keep working and let things take their course... innocent until proven guilty anyone?

Oh god... i'm bargaining.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Obviously, this rumor with no supporting information should be taken with a huge grain of salt, but if it is true, let's hope it's not due to any health issues. Everyone is so focused on the options issue that we forget about Steve's past health problem. There's been no public indication that he's had a relapse of any sort, so I'm really just throwing it out there as an alternative possibility.

Let's hope that a) everything is fine with Steve, and b) this rumor doesn't come to pass anytime soon, for whatever reason might precipitate it.

health issues are purposely left out of the story. I'm not going to speculate on Steve Jobs health, and even if I did know for sure or not, I'm not going to post the guy's health info on the website. There are lines that you just don't cross.

Either way though, you pretty much nailed the reason why this is on page 2.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I hope not, the loss of Jobs to Apple would be a major thing. However, if it does happen I can see it happening soon; Apple has been saying that 2007 is going to be big for them, product wise, and if steve left, apple would still have their products to stand on. Also, macs use x86 chips, which was one thing steve always wanted.. now that that's over and done with, I can see it happening.

Unfortunately, without a figurehead like steve, Apple risks becoming just another microsoft.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
health issues are purposely left out of the story. I'm not going to speculate on Steve Jobs health, and even if I did know for sure or not, I'm not going to post the guy's health info on the website. There are lines that you just don't cross.

Of course...it's just hard not to be reminded of the circumstances that led to his last leave of absence. That was the first thing that jumped into my mind, not the options issue.

ijimk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2004
Here
I hope he doesn't leave, I mean i know they have accomplished alot with him at the helm but I just can't see apple being apple without Steve Jobs.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
This is actually an important topic, because Apple is really a Steve Jobs personality cult. Any time you have an organization built upon a single prominent personality, the organization itself is in a precarious situation. Take Cuba for instance, the whole country is a Castro personality cult, and now that Castro is in poor health and might be dying, the entire direction of the country is in question.

It really is about time that Jobs started grooming a successor. He already had a bout with cancer, and he's not in his twenties or thirties any more, and even if he was, he could get hit by a bus. Apple really needs an heir apparent, even if it's only for setting stockholder's minds at ease.

highres

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2005
Near the Singularity
I hope he doesn't leave, I mean i know they have accomplished alot with him at the helm but I just can't see apple being apple without Steve Jobs.

That's what everybody thought when Woz left.

It is true though, when people think Apple they think Steve Jobs, especially since it was his new product innovations that have brought Apple back from the brink numerous times.

mcorange

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2006
I don't take this article seriously, however I have thought about what's gonna happen when he DOES go...for whatever reasons.

:confused:

That is the speculation of all speculations, of course... is there any known marketing wiz that would really fall into his place at Apple?

I say we do speculate, not on wether he's going, but on when he does, what will happen:

Clive At Five

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2004
St. Paul, MN
It really is about time that Jobs started grooming a successor. He already had a bout with cancer, and he's not in his twenties or thirties any more, and even if he was, he could get hit by a bus. Apple really needs an heir apparent, even if it's only for setting stockholder's minds at ease.

Steve: "Okay, Clive, just remember these three simple things:"
Clive: "Listening, my lord"
Steve: "Number one: No product is good enough until it is exactly the way you want it"
Clive: "No product is good enough until it is exactly the way I want it"
Steve: "Number two: 'otomatically' 'boom, just like that' 'insanely great' & 'one more thing.' "
Clive: " 'otomatically' 'boom, just like that' 'insanely great' & 'one more thing.' "
Steve: "Number Three: goofy grin"
Clive: "Goofy grin."
Steve: "Okay, good work. See ya."

...in my dreams...

-Clive

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Is this the first time that this particular analyst has reported on Apple? I don't recognize his name, and it seems unlikely that an analyst that doesn't pay much attention to Apple would be the first to know this.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
Steve: "Okay, Clive, just remember these three simple things:"
Clive: "Listening, my lord"
Steve: "Number one: No product is good enough until it is exactly the way you want it"
Clive: "No product is good enough until it is exactly the way I want it"
Steve: "Number two: 'otomatically' 'boom, just like that' 'insanely great' & 'one more thing.' "
Clive: " 'otomatically' 'boom, just like that' 'insanely great' & 'one more thing.' "
Steve: "Number Three: goofy grin"
Clive: "Goofy grin."
Steve: "Okay, good work. See ya."

...in my dreams...

-Clive
o golly golly golly, it scrolls like butter

iJawn108

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2006
:( I hope not, and wish Steve the best of health. Maybe Lisa will take his place.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Yes. Why would he leave now when things are really starting to get good product-wise?

I would be inclined to think it's more to do with the stock options problems than with his health. I sure hope this rumor is as correct as TheStreet's prediction that Google would sell iTunes songs: e.g. totally wrong.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Is this the first time that this particular analyst has reported on Apple? I don't recognize his name, and it seems unlikely that an analyst that doesn't pay much attention to Apple would be the first to know this.

He's not an analyst per se, but he does often write for thestreet.com. The interesting thing is that his main job is running short funds, so he might have a vested interest in spreading news that will be viewed as negative by investors. But he doesn't list any such possible conflicts of interest as thestreet.com contributors are required to do.

Other than that, I don't know anything about him.

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
Please let this be the most incorrect rumor in history :(

If Teh Steve™ leaves, I think we'll see a rash of apple fan suicides.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.