Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
I'm using comcast cable internet, and it ALWAYS drops the connection. At that point, I have to unplug and plug back in the router and cable modem. I tried updating my routers firmware, everything.

Is there a setting in my router that I'm missing, or what's going wrong here? It's not just my wireless, it's even through ehternet.

Thanks!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
One possibility, which affected me a year or so ago with another carrier, is that they're altering your dynamic IP address and that's causing router problems.

I'd call Comcast to see what they say, but it's possible you need a new router. Of course, you say you need to power-cycle the modem, too, so perhaps that's at fault instead. Call your ISP... it can't hurt.

iKwick7

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2004
The Wood of Spots, NJ
I have had the same problem. I used to use a Linksys wireless B router- worked great and I never needed the faster speeds of G. Poor little guy couldn't get it's signals through the walls in my new apartment (new apartment, really old building- thick, old school plastered walls) so I got a new one- aNetgear wireless g router. It worked flawlessly as well but would not work with my 360, so I sold it and got a Linksys wireless G. That thing sucked, hard, so I returned it and got a new one (same Linksys model).

Worked great... ususally. For the better part of last year, I had to reset my router almost every day. It seemed that any time more than one computer used the router in any given day, it would lock up and crash.

Weird thing is that once I sold my macbook and started using my iMac, the problem pretty much went away. I still have to rest it ever once in awhile (every couple weeks or so).

Stupid Comcast.

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
Well, I'm fairly certain the router isn't at fault due to the fact my girlfriends mom has been using it for a year and half with no hitches. Oddly enough, they had comcast as well.

Is there a way for me to set the router to handle dynamic IP addresses?

And like I said, it's not the wireless, it's even through ethernet. Mind you, My powerbook is getting wireless signal 5 feet from the router.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Are the modems lights dropping out, I had this problem the other night when my modem lost connection. I would say its more then likely a Comcast problem either in the network or at the head end.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
check the wiring outside if you can, see if the cable running into your house/apt to the cable companies box outside is pinched, ripped or otherwise not tip top.

i had this problem, turned out the wire outside was getting crushed by the staples holding it to the outer wall. causing interference the modem couldnt understand so it would reset itself.

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
Where is the line usually? And is it a regular old coaxial line?

So far, I've been connected directly to the cable modem, no router- and it's been ok. I don't know if it's the router itself, but who knows.

Are Apple Airport Extreme Base stations usually pretty stable? If indeed this router is bad, I wouldn't mind adding an apple piece.

Thanks!

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
Well, I managed to isolate the problem- or so I think.

The cable modem connected directly to my powerbook is 100% ok. no drops, NOTHING. I just was in an online chat with a comcast rep for an hour and not a single hiccup.

I then decided to reset the modem and directly plug it into vonage....no problems whatsoever. 100% crystal clear. Made multiple phone calls and worked fine.

The second I put them both into my linksys router...carnage.

vonage drops calls like you wouldn't believe, and gets staticky. Internet drops in and out. I think it's the router. The thing is, I've never heard of a router going bad. I thought they were supposed to last forever (especially linksys).

Oh well. Reccomend me a good router. Does the Airport base station have multiple Ethernet outs?

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
A cable modem runs off a normal coax cable, As for Vonage maybe if you are exceeding the bandwidth the modem might kick off.

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
I'm pretty sure I'n not exceeding the bandwidth. I got in contact with comcast and had her look at my usage, she said it looked normal with no dips or peaks. I really do think it's the router. Now, how do I go about find a good, solid router that won't give me any trouble?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.