Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steelphantom

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2005
I was taking a few photos today (for the "Post your Mac Setups!" thread :p ), and after I was done, I put my CF card in my reader. My iBook didn't recognize it at all. I put it back in the camera, and the camera easily recognized it and saw all of the images. I thought that it might be my card reader, so I put it in my PC, and when I tried to access the drive, it said "This drive is not formatted" or something. I tried to format it, and then Windows gave me the dreaded "this card cannot be formatted" message. :(

I took some more pictures with the card, and then connected my camera directly to my iBook, and this time the Mac recognized the camera instantly. The card on its own, however, can't be recognized. I opened disk utility both when the camera was connected and when the card was connected and didn't see anything.

Any ideas? I'm wondering if the card is just becoming corrupt. I guess I could just buy a new one if I have to, but I'd like to get this card working again. Thanks!

EDIT: I've just fixed it somehow. It randomly showed up under XP again as a blank disk. Anybody have any ideas on why this happened? I'd like to avoid a situation like this in the future.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Format the card in-camera every time you clear it. That'll help it behave properly. :)

I do a tranfer from my Digital Rebel, for example, then pop the card back into the camera and format it right away, and I've never had trouble with it.

My wife, on the other hand, uses iPhoto and directly connects her camera, then tells iPhoto to delete the originals. Any time I try to use a card reader with her card, I get weird errors.

steelphantom

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2005
That may be what I've been doing wrong. I've been deleting the photos on the card from the Finder instead of formatting the card from within my camera's menu. Thanks for the tip! :)

4np

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
The Netherlands
I really have no trouble at all reading my EOS 300D / Digital Rebel CompactFlash cards in my PowerBook G4. I use a SWEEX pc-card cardreader and it works perfectly. No weird errors like you are mentioning...

Perhaps your cardreader is not fully supported in osx?

NB100030_img-pre_pro_a.jpg

more info: http://www.sweexeurope.com/product.asp?pid=201

ps. it was pretty cheap as well; I bought it for € 8,- at the Mediamarkt.

steelphantom

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2005
I really have no trouble at all reading my EOS 300D / Digital Rebel CompactFlash cards in my PowerBook G4. I use a SWEEX pc-card cardreader and it works perfectly. No weird errors like you are mentioning...

Perhaps your cardreader is not fully supported in osx?

NB100030_img-pre_pro_a.jpg

more info: http://www.sweexeurope.com/product.asp?pid=201

ps. it was pretty cheap as well; I bought it for € 8,- at the Mediamarkt.

I'm pretty sure it's not the card reader, because it had been working perfectly fine up until this particular incident. I also tried my card earlier today on an XP machine's built-in reader and it didn't work there either (at first).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.