Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Future Man

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
as it was under 1.2.6 or whatever firmware came before 1.3. I kow that it is not as loud because I have some faint spoken word files that were fine at full volume before, which are unlistenable now. I can also tell with a lot of my music, when pumped all the way up they just don't have the same volume punch.
It's fine when i accidentally turn the volume up and don't want it to spike my eardrum, but I really want those extra DBs back. Anyone else notice this?

I have a 10gig solid state SW.

springscansing

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2002
New York
Maybe your ears are fatigued man. That's the most common problem for perceived level loss. Stay off the phones -completely- for 2-3 days, then try again.

phantommaul

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2002
istanbul,Turkey
europian firmware

i dont exactly remember the firmware version but if you are from europe (and also downloaded the european firmware) the maximum sound reduces because of the european healty music listening standards or something like that. i dont know its real name.

try reseting your ipods firmware and restore it to the factory settings.

makkystyle

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2002
There is a feature in the new iPod firmware that adjusts the volume of every track so that when you switch tracks it stays on the same volume level. Go into "Settings" and make sure "Sound Check" is off. Worth a shot, I know on mine several songs got considerably quieter when this was on.

f-matic

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2003
brooklyn
hmmmm...

funny, i noticed the same thing - usually i listen to my ipod on the bus which sounds fine even over really loud engines.. but after putting 1.3 on there, i've been inching the volume up more and more to the point where it's almost on full... i thought it was just my ears but maybe not..

maybe i'll try resetting everything and putting 1.2 back on there..

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
personally i would rather have it a little softer and have a working battery meter but thats just me.

toughboy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Izmir, Turkey
ROCK N ROLL!!!!!!

it was the 1.2.6 upgrade of the firmware.. because of the French Laws, some decibel (may be misspelled) above is forbidden in France.. if you installed it, thats the reason it may be a bit more quiet than it was..

I'm from Europe and I did not install that firmware... I like my bumps and basses and I LIKE ROCK N ROLL!......

f-matic

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2003
brooklyn
does that apply to US too?

i'm in the u.s., does the firmware cap the volume for US ipods too? i'm guessing it does some primitive check for your system settings (i.e. location in date & time) and adjusts accordingly.. but maybe it caps all of them..

i actually just realized a trick which may work... if you go to itunes, select all tracks, then do 'get info', i think you can adjust the volume of all tracks up a few notches, right? then these settings would be carried over to the ipod? i'm not at my computer now but i'll try this when i get home and see if it works...

np

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
i don't think the european thing applies to any but the french localization. Could be wrong tho... Really don't think it would be enabled in the US...

tho i definitely noticed a volume change after setting the level check... i have to hit the volume one more on the remote for some songs, which puts me closer to 100% volume than i like, but i dont really mind turning it back down for some songs...

if it ever got to the point where i couldnt turn it up enough, i'd be pissed, so far that hasn't happened (with the standard phones anyway, i've noticed cheap sony earbuds sound louder)

pnw

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.