Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AmdMacBook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2007
I have a friend who wants to sell off his PowerMac G4 Dual 867MHz MDD machine. After he say my MacBook, he now wants to sell his power mac and get a MacBook too!

I'd like to know what a reasonable rate is for a machine with the following specs:

CPU: PowerPC Dual 867MHz
Memory: 512MB (1 stick)
CD/DVD : SuperDrive (CD+DVD burner combo)
Wireless card: Airport
Videocard: GeForce4 MX AGP with 32MB video ram
HardDrive : Seagate 60GB drive

The rest should be std powermac config:
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g4/stats/powermac_g4_867_dp_mdd.html

He also has a 15" Apple Studio with the Apple Display Connector (ADC) that he wants to sell off.

He and I looked around on eBay and craigslist and didnt see anything that matched...and the pricing seemed pretty erratic.

For the monitor, I suggested $175-$200. I'm not sure about the Desktop. We even looked at some sites that sell used macs to see what their pricing was - no luck unfortunately. There didnt have any G4s!

Both the desktop and monitor are almost new. He barely used them (he is a windows user :~( ! ). He says he shelled out about $3000 when he bought the computer when it came out. Dont ask me why!

Any help would be appreciated.

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
For the monitor, I suggested $175-$200

uuummmm......not happenin IMHO :p

You can buy a NEW 17" LCD (w/o the stupid ADC connector) for less than that, which could then be used with ANY computer (the apple one is limited to use with a mac that has an ADC video card, or an outrageous adapter)

As for the almost-standard tower, IF the OS disks, KB & mouse are included, then you might be able to get ~$300-400 + shipping for it IMHO.....if you find someone who really wants it

Personally, I think he would make mo money by parting out the components individually :p

G5power

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2005
AmdMacBook,
If it's any help, in mid November I sold a dual 867 for $500.

I listed and sold the system locally, so there was no shipping or packaging hassles.

The configuration was:
1GB RAM
100 GB HD ( 60 + 40 )
Combo drive (CDRW / DVD player)
GeForce4MX 32MB video card
Apple keyboard / mouse
original Apple CD's
17" CRT (not Apple brand)

AmdMacBook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2007
Thanks for your advice guys. My friends says he's going to try selling it for $500 and see where it takes him.

AmdMacBook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2007

My friend sold his powermac for $600 in chicago. His mac didnt really have any miles on it, so i guess the buyer was ok paying more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.