Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

denhur

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2001
After a two week wait i got my G4 867 with GeForce3 / zip / scsi this morning. What a beautiful machine!! After connecting only the basics (keyboard / monitor) i thought i'd test the machine (benchmarks etc).

1. started up the machine
2. on/off button powerlight went on
3. fan started
4. no startup chime
5. no harddisk spin-up
6. no signal to monitor
(i then repeated these steps several times)

*&^%&*%

7. Opened machine and checked all the connectors
8. repeated steps 1-6 again
9. phoned Apple:
- turn off the machine sir
- pull the plug sir
- put the plug back in sir
- try again
- no chime?
- put in a CD sir
+ okay, you tell me how to get the CD tray to come out
- oh yeah, sorry sir
- you have a DOA sir
- i'll send the email today, a technician will contact you on monday to make an appointment for monday or tuesday.

One thing about the Apple Servicedesk, I got a person on the line right away, no wait at all.... i guess i'm one of the very few with a problem.

Obviously things like this can happen... BUT WHY ME!!!!

Anyone have an idea what it could be? Similar experiences?

DenHur

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
normal, sorry

I sold Macs for two years, we had in-house Apple certified Tech's. The fail-rate of high end machines is always a bit high in the first month. The assembly process has to have it's kinks worked out during an actual production run because there are so many things that go into it all that it'd take just as many units put through to find all the tweak points if you ran it "cold".

The highest fail rates are the custom builds in the first two weeks followed by the fastest or most extreme designs. Apple is very good about replacing DOA's and it's important not to focus too much on it.......There seems to be a wierd but consistant correlation between you're emotional attatchment to unit failure and fail-frequency. Every time (without fail, no lie!!) a customer would get all tweaked in the head about a failure, they'd get a series of DOA replacements. We had one lady that had to be talked down by two or three staff members every time she came in because replacement units that we'd pick out of a random fresh shipment, test in the shop, and send a consultant over to set up would have critical failures within days.

I've come to the conclusion that something with so many parts governed by Quantum physics is very sensitive to strong manifestory energy (IE bad vibes=a dead cat in the box).

The less mystery and emotional content you weave around your machine, the more reliable it will be. Strange but true.

denhur

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2001
emotion

Having been a apple salesperson at an authorized resellor I have encountered a few DOA's. Unfortunately the advice i gave the customers then (stay calm, no problem, replacement is on the way, it can and does happen) doesn't cut it when i'm the one with the DOA.

Its hard not to be emotional about a machine that you just paid thousands of dollars for. Apple marketing is centered around emotions and creativity. The long lifespan (and the price) of apples mean that you buy a new machine less often (since my first IIc i have only had 8 macs of which i still use 3). These factors add up to make buying and getting a new mac quite an emotional experience. If the machine then does nothing (except look very good on your desk) anger / frustration / disappointment follow.

Its just a real pain in the butt....

Does anyone have any ideas what i can do to better diagnose what exactly is wrong/broken?

DenHur

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Symptoms

no chime is a board-level failure. Either bad RAM, bad logic board or bad start-board. Bad start board was always the most common. The thing won't chime if it doesn't get appropriate responses from all it's primary components. Does the Drive spin up? What does the start-button do (light up, Pulse, change colour, etc.)? Is the RAM seated? A bad start board or logic board, if you take it in for service, could take as little as 3 days if the problem is known to Apple and Parts are available. Otherwise, work on trading it in on one that varifiably works. Of course if your local retailer doesn't have them yet yer SOL until they do. Stay calm it's just first run jitters. When you call Apple, (provided they haven't changed procedure significantly) get past the first person to "the G4 Group". These tend to be closer to real techs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.