Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jan 7, 2007, 01:14 PM   #1
azscp
macrumors member

How to send files to FTP server

Hey guys,

I'm trying to send files to an FTP server but when I drag and drop the files I get a message that says "xxxxx could not be moved because 'ftp server name' cannot be modified."

xxxxx represents folder name (files I want to transfer).

I've transfered files to this ftp server before but on a PC and it was pretty simple. I'm sure I'm just overlooking a tiny detail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve
azscp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2007, 01:44 PM   #2
twomiracles
macrumors regular

The first time I transferred a file with Cyberduck, it transferred with 444 permissions so I couldn't even download it back out. Perhaps the folder you're uploading to has the wrong permissions? I know it seems obvious, but with Cyberduck, you don't even see permissions unless you look for them so thought I'd mention it.

Good luck!
twomiracles is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2007, 01:52 PM   #3
Mitthrawnuruodo

Are you trying to upload to a ftp server using Finder? If so, that is unfortunately impossible at the moment.

You need a 3rd party ftp client (or use ftp commands via Terminal), the abobe mentioned Cyberduck is a very nice, free client, abd if you need something even better and more stable, check out Transmit, well worth $29 (and there is a 14 day downloadable trial available).
Old Jan 7, 2007, 01:59 PM   #4
azscp
macrumors member

Thanks for the help guys. I used cyberduck and it worked. If in the future I find myself needing to upload a lot, I'll look at the other suggested programs.
azscp is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help