Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

azscp

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2006
Hey guys,

I'm trying to send files to an FTP server but when I drag and drop the files I get a message that says "xxxxx could not be moved because 'ftp server name' cannot be modified."

xxxxx represents folder name (files I want to transfer).

I've transfered files to this ftp server before but on a PC and it was pretty simple. I'm sure I'm just overlooking a tiny detail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

twomiracles

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2006
The first time I transferred a file with Cyberduck, it transferred with 444 permissions so I couldn't even download it back out. Perhaps the folder you're uploading to has the wrong permissions? I know it seems obvious, but with Cyberduck, you don't even see permissions unless you look for them so thought I'd mention it.

Good luck!

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Are you trying to upload to a ftp server using Finder? If so, that is unfortunately impossible at the moment.

You need a 3rd party ftp client (or use ftp commands via Terminal), the abobe mentioned Cyberduck is a very nice, free client, abd if you need something even better and more stable, check out Transmit, well worth $29 (and there is a 14 day downloadable trial available).

azscp

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2006
Thanks for the help guys. I used cyberduck and it worked. If in the future I find myself needing to upload a lot, I'll look at the other suggested programs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.