Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Jan 7, 2007, 01:25 PM   #1
kea30
macrumors newbie

Help with iPod and new Mac please!

I know there's a lot of old posts about this but none of them exactly match up to my query and I really need to double check this, apologies. I have the latest 80gb vid iPod and was using it with my work macbook pro and had my itunes library set up and the iPod synched. That computer died and I have now purchased my own macbook and want to get the music from the iPod to the computer. The iPod was set to automatically synch with the last computer. The new computer has iTunes on it and whilst many previous posts have said that because it is a new computer for this iPod it will ask me whether I want to synch before automatically doing it, to which I say no, but I am worried because in the setup wizard for the macbook it asked me my apple ID etc which I provided and so I am worried that it will automatically work with my ipod. Does anyone know if this is the case? Many thanks for any assistance on what to do.
kea30 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2007, 03:19 PM   #2
Fleetwood Mac
macrumors 65816

You can use utilities like OnyX to enable the display hidden files and folders on your system. (Music is stored in some sort of complicated hidden file system on the iPod). Once you've done that, basically import all your 'Tunes into to iTunes and your set. These tracks will lose all rating and placycount info though.

Here's an About.com article: http://macs.about.com/od/ipod/a/copy_from_ipod.htm

If its all legal, yay!! You can just redownload or re-rip. Here's a link for moving iTunes store purchases: http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/store/move/.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 03:23 AM   #3
kea30
macrumors newbie

Thank you so much iDuck. I'm still confused about how using something like this prevents itunes from opening and instantly wiping my ipod seeing as I set it to automatically synch. But thanks!
kea30 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2007, 10:28 AM   #4
tdbaws
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to tdbaws Send a message via MSN to tdbaws
in the same situation and this is a help to me as well. thanks!

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod