Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 7, 2007, 05:16 PM   #1
beatsme
macrumors 65816
 
beatsme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
External Sound Cards

can anyone recommend a decent external soundcard, whether FireWire or USB? I don't need anything fancy, just something with the good old-fashioned line level RCA inputs and outputs. Optical in/out would be nice but it's not necessary. Doesn't have to be professional quality (though I don't want a piece of crap), since I'll just be using it to horse around with GarageBand...
__________________
Puritanism - The haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be happy. H. L. Mencken
beatsme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2007, 05:20 PM   #2
zimv20
macrumors 601
 
zimv20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: chicago
it's typically referred to as an interface, not a sound card.

lots of choices in the budget area, determined mostly by features. i don't think you're going to find one w/ only RCA's -- typically, budget interfaces offer mic pre's and balanced line level inputs, so you're looking at XLRs and/or 1/4" and/or those combo jacks.

start here to see the plethora of choices.
__________________
Oct 2011: check out my band's first album @ boxsetauthentic.com
zimv20 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2007, 06:07 PM   #3
beatsme
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
beatsme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
ah...I've been undone my lack of specificity

I've got a Mackie MX-6 for mic inputs and whatnot, so I don't need an interface, per se. I just need something that will let me connect the outs from the Mackie to the computer, and will also connect the computer to my stereo. I was using an M-Audio 2496 sound card (and it had all I needed: RCA ins/outs, MIDI, SPDIF, etc.) in my old G4 tower, but now that I've switched to a Mac Mini I can't exactly add an internal. So I'm kind of looking for something like this, or hopefully something a little better...

EDIT: it's a Mackie DFX-6. I think an MX-6 is a Mazda of some kind...
__________________
Puritanism - The haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be happy. H. L. Mencken
beatsme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2007, 06:19 PM   #4
zimv20
macrumors 601
 
zimv20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: chicago
ah, so you're looking for a set of converters, i assume. you'll use your mixer for its pre's and stuff for recording, then its monitor section while listening back. is that right?

how many channels do you need in each direction and what's your budget?
__________________
Oct 2011: check out my band's first album @ boxsetauthentic.com
zimv20 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2007, 06:30 PM   #5
beatsme
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
beatsme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimv20 View Post
ah, so you're looking for a set of converters, i assume. you'll use your mixer for its pre's and stuff for recording, then its monitor section while listening back. is that right?

how many channels do you need in each direction and what's your budget?
just two channels in each direction. Since I only ever record myself (just bass and guitar) I don't have much need for anything super fancy.

my budget...yeesh. Under $100 would be nice, if it all possible.
__________________
Puritanism - The haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be happy. H. L. Mencken
beatsme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2007, 06:42 PM   #6
zimv20
macrumors 601
 
zimv20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: chicago
afaik, standalone converters are more than that, but there are 2-channel interfaces in that price range. not sure how good they are, though, you basically get what you pay for.

if you sold your mixer to buy an interface w/ pre's and a monitoring section, what functionality do you lose?
__________________
Oct 2011: check out my band's first album @ boxsetauthentic.com
zimv20 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2007, 07:09 PM   #7
beatsme
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
beatsme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimv20 View Post
afaik, standalone converters are more than that, but there are 2-channel interfaces in that price range. not sure how good they are, though, you basically get what you pay for.

if you sold your mixer to buy an interface w/ pre's and a monitoring section, what functionality do you lose?
well...none, actually. Though I like the idea of being able to still use my Tascam 4-track...which I never use anyway.
__________________
Puritanism - The haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be happy. H. L. Mencken
beatsme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2007, 07:22 PM   #8
CanadaRAM
macrumors G5
 
CanadaRAM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatsme View Post
just two channels in each direction. Since I only ever record myself (just bass and guitar) I don't have much need for anything super fancy.

my budget...yeesh. Under $100 would be nice, if it all possible.
2 in 2 out USB

Edirol UA-1EX US$80-90

M-Audio Fasttrack USB US$100-120

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com
__________________
Expert
Ex = former, no longer. Spurt = a leak, esp. when caused by water pressure. Expert = a has-been drip under pressure.
CanadaRAM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2007, 07:24 PM   #9
jczaja
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Hi, perhaps something like this is what you are looking for?

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...kUSB-main.html

If not, take a look around their site. They're your best bet for decent 'on a budget' interfaces..

LOL! CanadaRAM beat me to it!

-Jay

Last edited by jczaja; Jan 7, 2007 at 07:25 PM. Reason: quicker poster!
jczaja is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2007, 08:54 PM   #10
beatsme
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
beatsme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaRAM View Post
2 in 2 out USB

Edirol UA-1EX US$80-90

M-Audio Fasttrack USB US$100-120

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by jczaja View Post
Hi, perhaps something like this is what you are looking for?

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...kUSB-main.html

If not, take a look around their site. They're your best bet for decent 'on a budget' interfaces..

LOL! CanadaRAM beat me to it!

-Jay
actually, that Edirol looks like just what I need. Thanks, fellows
__________________
Puritanism - The haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be happy. H. L. Mencken
beatsme is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thunderbolt 2.0: capable of PCIE 3.0 16x cards in external enclosures? darkgoob Mac Pro 69 Apr 1, 2014 02:20 PM
Thunderbolt 2 and external video cards linescreen Mac Pro 7 Jun 12, 2013 08:11 PM
Adding External PCIe video cards to T/Bolt port Cyndane Buying Tips and Advice 2 Apr 4, 2013 03:52 PM
what do we think of the retina 13/15 inch sound cards? Rocketpaul MacBook Pro 2 Mar 3, 2013 11:28 PM
If I buy this can I use external graphic cards? chameleon81 MacBook Air 6 Aug 21, 2012 12:33 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:00 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC