Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
One source indicates that the Canadian launch of the iTunes Music Store is expected on the order of weeks -- with licensing dicussions nearing compleition.

European users also have some encouraging news with this MacWorld UK article which references a Music Week article discussing iTunes and the European market. In the article, Pascal Cagni, vice-president of Apple Europe, reveals that launching the iTunes music store in Europe is his top priority:

"As head of Europe, I have only one interest, which is to launch [iTunes Music Store] in Europe
"

Unfortunately, it appears licensing discussions did not begin until after the US launch, and the service may be launched in a piecemeal fashion -- with more Internet-popular areas getting first access.

As an encouraging sign, however, head of EMI is quoted as saying "I can't see anything that would stop us making music available for Apple's service in Europe".

ipman

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2003
Canberra, Australia
legal issues?

I would think that even if the music labels are willing that there may be legal impediments such as tax, etc that would have to be sorted out first.

On another note, I bloody hope Australia isn't too far down the track.

niar

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2002
@work
Too sad...

With apple marketshare under 1 percent, I can't see this happening in Estonia..
Also, I don't believe the song prices going to be as low as in US. Considering the differencies between US and European CD prices - I predict 1.99 euros per song

woodsey

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2001
Bad feeling About Australia

Still no mention of australia! :mad:

Apple Australia has shown us no reason to believe they would bother customising something for us.

They didnt bother with sherlock, or iPhoto prints.

Do you think they would bother setting up an australian version of the music store?

It wouldnt suprise me if they didnt!

Foocha

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
London
I can't wait for the service to reach the UK - I feel a shopping spree coming on.

Re: Estonia - I hope the service will be pan EU (existing and new members!) and you get coverage. I'd be perfectly happy paying for my songs in Euros.

macmax

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2002
caribbean
Originally posted by Foocha
I can't wait for the service to reach the UK - I feel a shopping spree coming on.

Re: Estonia - I hope the service will be pan EU (existing and new members!) and you get coverage. I'd be perfectly happy paying for my songs in Euros.

go ask me , i am in the caribbean, go figure when i will get it.

Something i don't understand is that it says that if i have a billing adress in the USA i can dl music, well , i have one , but i can't seem to be able to update the account i have.

Knox

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 1, 2002
UK
Actually, i'd prefer if they waited a while and made sure they got music suitable to the European/international market rather than rush it out with the selection currently available. Out of the current UK singles top 10 only one track (50 Cent) is available on the US store, and, although the chart music isn't exactly the pinacle of musical talent, it's going to sell the most.

ssamani

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2002
UK
Re: International iTunes...

Originally posted by Macrumors

As an encouraging sign, however, head of EMI is quoted as saying "I can't see anything that would stop us making music available for Apple's service in Europe".

Given that EMI recently started allowing UK bricks and mortar retailers to sell downloads from their websites, this should really not be a big issue for EMI in the UK. The only question is whether the other four as far developed from a legal perspective in the UK. I suspect Apple will wait until they have 200k songs in place for each country before they go live.

EMI backs digital downloads:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/2972673.stm

Lets hope that the 1m songs sold in 1 week makes the big five greedy for more.

BaghdadBob

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2003
Gorgeous, WA
You Aussies need to chill...

Just be easy guys. I know everyone not in the US is frustrated -- rightly -- by the lack of Sherlock and iPhoto localization, but this is totally, totally, totally different.

I hate to put it in terms of greed, but quite frankly, ordering prints from iPhoto and having full Sherlock localization just doesn't pay the bills for Apple. The music store pays for itself.

So don't worry, your money is as good as anyone else's. Meaning Apple wants it. So prepare to have it taken from you! :)

Mr Jobs

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2002
London, England
I dont care if it come to the UK, as looking a history of pricing when it come to the UK Apple is going to charge somethiong like 99p per song which is way more then the US prices.

Hozie

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2003
Well, I for one would never buy at the equivalent of 99p because at that point, it becomes cheaper to just go out and buy the CD. I think the 0.99$ is right on the mark, so if I were Apple, I wouldn't stray too far from that price.

krafix

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2002
Montreal, Canada
Yeeha! Canadians next... then the world!

Originally posted by CharlesVan
I hope it's 99 cents Cdn a song. Otherwise, it would be the same as buying an actual CD.

yep, I hope they made marketing studies right cause here in canada, it's one of the cheapest CDs on earth. Let's hope they don't blown it.:rolleyes:

yuri_koval

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2002
K-PAX
international stores

I think It would be a gread idea if apple will add more music record companies. Then, users would have more choices of their music interests.

iN8

macrumors regular
May 29, 2002
The Bahamas
I'm in the same boat.

Originally posted by macmax
go ask me , i am in the caribbean, go figure when i will get it.

Something i don't understand is that it says that if i have a billing adress in the USA i can dl music, well , i have one , but i can't seem to be able to update the account i have.

I have a US credit card as well, but I guess your computer has to physically be in the US. I don't know how it knows where you are, but I know it isn't just your credit card.

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
poll on cnn

cnn.com has a poll at the bottem of their website today asking 'would you pay .99 to download music files'. so far it is 70% no

i believe we can chalk this up to envy, think the windows world is jealous

:D :D

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Australian Spaghetti (?!), content & kiosks

Originally posted by encro
Australia???

Isn't that some form of spaghetti?

I have never heard of Australian spaghetti but I will take your word for it. I can imagine that it would have egg, bacon and pineapple pieces on it.

On a more serious note, I do not see the point of opening an Apple Music Store here without Australian content. The same goes for every other country where the service is not offered yet.

Since there is no Windows version of iTunes yet I think Apple would do well to sell music on the Music Store via CD-R dispensing kiosks in shopping centers. Such kiosks would make the Music Store accessible to most shoppers, not just those with Macs and broadband.

abdul

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2003
East Midlands, UK
Re: Bad feeling About Australia.......and europe

Originally posted by woodsey
Still no mention of australia! :mad:

Apple Australia has shown us no reason to believe they would bother customising something for us.

They didnt bother with sherlock, or iPhoto prints.

Do you think they would bother setting up an australian version of the music store?

It wouldnt suprise me if they didnt!

ok there saying its there top priority.....we'll see. dont worry the uk has got no sherlock support either also iphoto is just the US (or is it north america??)

doesnt matter let the hevily populated europe get it first and then worry about countries like India, australia and japan (eventhough japan is prob more heavily populated)

i think apple has a larger % in the US is cos its nicely catering fot the US rather than the world. iphoto shouldnt be hard to make for th world, but they dont, ok sherlock would be but they still havent made the effort.

mim

macrumors 6502
Re: Problems with Euro

Originally posted by kettle
Not me.

I will not be paying for iTunes in Euros

I have a huge problem with apple insisting I support a Federal Super State of dubious creation.

Arye, Zommer-zet. Uses wont be a payin in Ueeroz yet!

You'd be paying an amount in pounds that just happens to be equal to $0.99 Euro dollars (so, like 50 something pence). No need to take the political lowroad with this one.

The Euro is so close to the USD at the moment that I'd be suprised if it wan't 0.99 too. It's just such an easy number compared to $1.27

a.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.