Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Event Archives

Old Jan 8, 2007, 06:17 PM   #1
theman5725
macrumors 6502

Is it worth it?

I've heard so many good things about watching the Keynote spoiler-free. Usually I just check Macrumors to see what products are announced, and not watch the keynote. With all the hype surrounding this one however, I kinda want to watch it spoiler-free.

Problem is that 2 hours is a lot of time to spend watching a keynote when you could just check what was announced. Is the keynote so good that I really should watch it spoiler free?
theman5725 is offline   0
Old Jan 8, 2007, 06:20 PM   #2
Embed
macrumors member

you could just look at the site to see the new products and have some joy looking at them,
or
you could share the laughs Steve has with the crowd, not forgetting "oh...one last thing". i personally find it good fun and much more educational to watch it than just read about it.

just my view

Old Jan 8, 2007, 06:20 PM   #3
Compile 'em all
macrumors 601

I personally can't wait for those 2 additional hours. MacrumorsLive for me.
Compile 'em all is offline   0
Old Jan 8, 2007, 06:21 PM   #4
Cybergypsy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil9579 View Post
I've heard so many good things about watching the Keynote spoiler-free. Usually I just check Macrumors to see what products are announced, and not watch the keynote. With all the hype surrounding this one however, I kinda want to watch it spoiler-free.

Problem is that 2 hours is a lot of time to spend watching a keynote when you could just check what was announced. Is the keynote so good that I really should watch it spoiler free?

it goes by sooooooooo Fast!
Cybergypsy is offline   0
Old Jan 8, 2007, 06:22 PM   #5
TheAnswer
macrumors 68030

I know others have their preferences, but I don't really see the point in watching it spoiler-free, especially if you are in the market for something that may be available that day...watching the keynote after it is posted just gives other people the chance to get in line for that product ahead of you.

That said, if you know you are not buying anything right away, no matter what is released, then I can see the point...a little more suspenseful and you get to see what exactly happened.
TheAnswer is offline   0
Old Jan 8, 2007, 06:24 PM   #6
macmike47
macrumors regular

decisions...

What I'm worried about, is that I'll wait for the spoiler-free Keynote (apparently it takes a few hours to appear), then I'll get impatient and just go to MacRumors. So I'll miss the live posts and not have the thrill of discovering the new stuff from Steve himself. I'm still undecided.
macmike47 is offline   0
Old Jan 8, 2007, 06:33 PM   #7
Embed
macrumors member

i shall watch the keynote spoiler free, just because im in the market for the apple phone, and i no that won't be shipping that day (will it) or maybe pre-ordering. but knowing me, i'll be on the MR refreshing every second lol.

oh well, we will see
Old Jan 8, 2007, 06:34 PM   #8
pknz
macrumors 68020

I usually (if I'm awake) read it on MacRumors Live and then go and watch the stream later on, usually internet connection is too crap to watch for quite a few hours after as it is quite popular. Alternatively I'll wait until I can find a download of it.
pknz is offline   0
Old Jan 8, 2007, 06:37 PM   #9
acearchie
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknz View Post
I usually (if I'm awake) read it on MacRumors Live and then go and watch the stream later on, usually internet connection is too crap to watch for quite a few hours after as it is quite popular. Alternatively I'll wait until I can find a download of it.

When The 5G iPods were released I was on macrumorslive, and i was excited but it was when I watched the quicktime stream that i was really excited! I would recommend being on macrumorslive getting your adrenaline running and being potentially hugely let down.

Then when you are really upset you realise (by wathcing the quicktime stream) that the products that have been released aren't actually that bad!
acearchie is offline   0
Old Jan 8, 2007, 06:57 PM   #10
iRachel
macrumors 6502a

I will go to macrumorslive and will be clicking refresh repeatedly. As pknz said, once the keynote is posted on Apple's site, it can be several hours before the traffic on the website dies down enough to connect to the stream without repeated interruptions (if you can even get past the "server too busy" message) - and I am way too impatient to wait all day to find out about the new products. Plus, I'd have to avoid macrumors all day, and that's impossible!

I will eventually watch the keynote, and I don't find that knowing in advance what is coming diminishes the experience in any way.

Last edited by iRachel; Jan 8, 2007 at 07:05 PM.
iRachel is offline   0
Old Jan 8, 2007, 08:25 PM   #11
pdpfilms
macrumors 68020

Just so you all know, when Macrumors goes live, the refresh button does absolutely nothing. The site is auto-updating, so any changes will show up before you can refresh. You wouldn't want to wait an extra 2 seconds for it to refresh unnecessarily, would you?

Nope, neither would I. Just watch the magic unfold in front of your eyes, hands free.

Last edited by pdpfilms; Jan 8, 2007 at 08:36 PM.
pdpfilms is offline   0
Old Jan 8, 2007, 08:46 PM   #12
sam10685
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compile 'em all View Post
I personally can't wait for those 2 additional hours. MacrumorsLive for me.
i haven't really heard anyone discuss the possibilty (hopefully small possibility) that the extra long keynote could be about bad anouncements. (i.e.; Steve Jobs' retirement.)
Old Jan 8, 2007, 10:48 PM   #13
iRachel
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdpfilms View Post
Just so you all know, when Macrumors goes live, the refresh button does absolutely nothing. The site is auto-updating, so any changes will show up before you can refresh. You wouldn't want to wait an extra 2 seconds for it to refresh unnecessarily, would you?

Nope, neither would I. Just watch the magic unfold in front of your eyes, hands free.
I somehow missed that - thanks for the tip
Old Jan 8, 2007, 11:10 PM   #14
After G
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to After G Send a message via Yahoo to After G
MR Live for me. I usually can't watch the keynote for a few days after the event, so many Mac fans trying to connect all at once. And then when we can post on forums again, I haven't seen what people are talking about, which frustrates me.

Not worth it to wait, imo.
After G is offline   0
Old Jan 8, 2007, 11:29 PM   #15
p0intblank
macrumors 68030

I'll be watching the keynote before reading any news online or anywhere else. I did this for WWDC '06 and I loved it. Sure there's a little bit of a wait, but in my opinion it's worth it. I say go for it!

I already have it bookmarked:

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/guide/appleevents/
The #1 source for accessories compatible with Apple's new Mac Pro
Have a suggestion? Contact me here!
p0intblank is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2007, 10:56 AM   #16
Zwhaler
macrumors Demi-God

Yeah I am doing the same. Except MacRumors posted a link to a story where they will post a link to the keynote where I can see it from there.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 11:09 AM   #17
dukeblue91
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to dukeblue91
I'll check it on MR Live and then I watch the keynote when it comes available.
That way I get the best of both worlds
My website http://www.js-jewelers.com
dukeblue91 is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Event Archives