Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Event Archives

Old Jan 9, 2007, 04:46 AM   #1
St. Jernvall
macrumors newbie

What Could Be More Remarkable?

I don't think it's a phone, when Apple is saying the 30 first years were just the beginning. In my opinion there is one thing that has been forgotten and that is Mac OS X for all PC's.
Just think about it. They have the killer hardware themselves. There have been the rumor about AMD and Apple and one thing is sure. Apple has to talk to AMD to get it working with their chips.
More of the digital Lifestyle devices, such as upgraded airport, the iTV project.
But IF apple is going for voice communication, I think it could have something to do with WiFi and VOip. With GoogleTalk and FOn growing all over the world.....anything could happen....
St. Jernvall is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2007, 05:04 AM   #2
Jo-Kun
macrumors 6502a

OSX for all pc's is not something I think we'll see...

one of the problems with pc's is the driver issue... sooo many hardware is made for pc's...

o and remember the attack of the clones a few years ago... first thing Steve did when he got back: kill the clones...

one of the strong things about apple is the fact that they build computers wich are designed for OSX, they choose the basic parts for the computer wich are best...

I can see it happen now, some pcfriends who would install osx and complain it works like shot or those pc's... parts that have no driver... and so on... so I guess it won't happen...

Apple moving to AMD would be a strange move since they just have the intels... but that is an option if intel doesn't deliver (see what happened with IBM... can't deliver what we want... byebye...)

I guess we'll have to wait and see...

the first 30y were just the beginning... maybe they move more to home entertainment and less to professional users? would be pity ;-) before the intel switch there were only iPod Keynotes... I was thinking apple was quitting the computermarket and become the iPod company...
Old Jan 9, 2007, 05:12 AM   #3
St. Jernvall
macrumors newbie

Well...

Quote:
the first 30y were just the beginning... maybe they move more to home entertainment and less to professional users? would be pity ;-)
Based on the "the first 30 years ..." text, that could not be the point. Because they are clearly talking about continuing on the same track, just by greater standards. Or then Apple has done it's copy writing poorly? But that I could not see as a possibility.

Setting MAC OS X free...with a message....that it works best on macs...would just be a great teaser for the masses.
St. Jernvall is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2007, 05:33 AM   #4
amiga
macrumors 6502

Perhaps it doesn't mean anything specific, it might be slightly misleading! Maybe it simply means... We plan on being around for another 30 years and continuing our innovation!?
amiga is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2007, 06:33 AM   #5
748s
macrumors 6502a

OS X on PC's?
Not going to happen.
Apple would end up as another dell.
Jobs doesn't want that.

I'm thinking Jobs will announce the Windows API is built into OS X.5 so PC applications can be run in OS X without any version of Windows installed.
748s is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2007, 07:17 AM   #6
vincebio
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to vincebio Send a message via MSN to vincebio Send a message via Yahoo to vincebio Send a message via Skype™ to vincebio
there is no way apple would reliquish the grip they have on the software/hardware bond...they would be doing nothing but opening up themselves to 3rd party hardware issues and bugs, alas micro$oft.
the reason apple are soo good at what they do is becasue of this bond, release that, and they are in deep **** and asking for problems they dont have now, due to the fact they have such tight integration at present

while some of the pc world may integrate osx on the systems they sell, it will never become mainstream or popular enough to make a big difference while microsoft are still around....the average jow bloggs is not wise enough to change what they have, they are content with there own little world...

and besides, its better that the good stuff is kept for the select few is it not?
The last thing i want to see is Apple's market share explode......keep it tight, keep it simple, for our benefits...
rant over my 2 pence
Old Jan 9, 2007, 07:42 AM   #7
toaster_oven
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo-Kun View Post
the first 30y were just the beginning... maybe they move more to home entertainment and less to professional users? would be pity ;-) before the intel switch there were only iPod Keynotes... I was thinking apple was quitting the computermarket and become the iPod company...
ain't gonna happen - if you remember the '97 keynote, Jobs said apple's biggest market are creative/design professionals and education. This is still the case today, and these are the people that are the bread and butter of the macintosh. without them, apple fails.

In order to be a viable computer company, you need at least some portion of the professional market. plus these people are the early adopters of apple products... I'm pretty sure Jobs doesn't want to alienate his core group of fanatics.

-to
Old Jan 9, 2007, 09:47 AM   #8
Zwhaler
macrumors 603

I hope to god what you say isn't true. (OSX on PC's, and AMD) That's it.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 09:49 AM   #9
Nym
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 748s View Post
OS X on PC's?
Not going to happen.
Apple would end up as another dell.
Jobs doesn't want that.

I'm thinking Jobs will announce the Windows API is built into OS X.5 so PC applications can be run in OS X without any version of Windows installed.
I've heard someone say that a while ago, about the Windows API's being within Leopard!
If that happens I will laugh forever although extremely unlikely...

And if Jobs anounced at MWSF that OSX was also crossing to the PC world, that would be one quiet room That ackward silence that preludes the throwing of tomatoes on stage...
Old Jan 9, 2007, 09:54 AM   #10
DavidLeblond
macrumors 68020

Its been said many times, and I'll say it once more here:

Apple is a computer company. Apple is NOT a software company. They make their profits off of hardware.

OS X will never be available for PCs.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 10:23 AM   #11
dukeblue91
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to dukeblue91
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidLeblond View Post
Its been said many times, and I'll say it once more here:

Apple is a computer company. Apple is NOT a software company. They make their profits off of hardware.

OS X will never be available for PCs.
Couldn't agree any more with you.
There is absolutely no real financial or strategic gain for Apple to do a 180 on it's current and well working business plan.

To go Intel and letting people load Winblows on Apple hardware makes sense, as that does not cut into hardware sales, if anything it helps move more cool looking hardware to all the M$ drones.
My website http://www.js-jewelers.com
dukeblue91 is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Event Archives