Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Event Archives

Old Jan 9, 2007, 02:39 PM   #1
MikeyTree
macrumors 6502

When can we expect to hear about Mac updates?

I was disappointed that the keynote had no announcements whatsoever for computers. I was surprised they didn't even give a release date/month for Leopard, or say anything about iWork/Life.

Does anyone know when we can expect to hear new mac announcements? Is there some other expo within the next few months, or some other traditional time for mac upgrade announcements?

Last edited by MikeyTree; Jan 9, 2007 at 02:45 PM.
MikeyTree is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2007, 02:42 PM   #2
jsw
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyTree View Post
I was disappointed that the keynote had no announcements whatsoever for computers. I was surprised they didn't even give a release date/month for Leopard, or say anything about iWork/Life.

Does anyone know when we can expect to hear new mac announcements? Is there some other expo within the next few months, or some other time for mac upgrade announcements?
The next big thing is the WWDC (Worldwide Developer Conference) this summer. Leopard will be out way before then. I'd expect more announcements over the next week or so.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 02:54 PM   #3
IEatApples
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I was disappointed that the keynote had no announcements whatsoever for computers.
Same here.
I'm confused about ordering an iMac right now.
I'm afraid they'll announce something "soon".
IEatApples is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2007, 03:13 PM   #4
MrTed
macrumors member

My source was right about macpros updates, he/she told me "nothing prior april-may"
MrTed is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2007, 03:17 PM   #5
psychofreak
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEatApples View Post
Same here.
I'm confused about ordering an iMac right now.
I'm afraid they'll announce something "soon".
Wait a few days for a possible iLife 07...
psychofreak is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2007, 03:26 PM   #6
IEatApples
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychofreak View Post
Wait a few days for a possible iLife 07...
Wait?... WAIT?!?! DID YOU SAY WAAAAAIT?!?!?

But seriously, where the ****** are the Macs?
Old Jan 9, 2007, 03:33 PM   #7
StuPidQPid
macrumors member

Quote:

Does anyone know when we can expect to hear new mac announcements? Is there some other expo within the next few months, or some other traditional time for mac upgrade announcements?
I noticed there's a session by Apple's Alan Eyzaguirre at the Macworld Expo on Thursday
US944: Make your business stand out with iWork and iLife
01/11/2007, 1:15 PM - 2:30 PM

Maybe they'll make an announcment there?
It would seem odd to give such a talk using last year's versions...
StuPidQPid is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2007, 03:34 PM   #8
topgunn
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTed View Post
My source was right about macpros updates, he/she told me "nothing prior april-may"
So how does the lack of updates today mean that your "source" was correct?

My source was right about the end of the world, he/she told me "don't buy a pass to Macworld '08." Since the world didn't end today, he/she is obviously correct.
topgunn is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2007, 03:39 PM   #9
TheAnswer
macrumors 68030

I'm expecting announcements over the next couple of weeks, but nothing mind blowing as I don't think the iPhone and (applelogo)tv are likely to come off the front page at apple.com any time soon. As soon as the major wave of press about them subsides, then we'll likely see the bigger news (iLife updates, more Leopard stuff, any hardware upgrades that aren't just speedbumps).
TheAnswer is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2007, 03:48 PM   #10
ipedro
macrumors 68020

MacWorld is more than a keynote. The exhibitors there release products throughout the entire span of the show so I don't see why Apple can't do the same.

I think Apple will leave the expected updates (iLife07, iWork07) and minor hardware bumps to his team of presenters at the Apple booth.

I expect to see the major press regarding the iPhone go on within the next week, but most of it today and tomorrow. At that point, I would see Apple launching iLife, iWork and their other updates on the show room floor.
ipedro is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2007, 03:50 PM   #11
ipedro
macrumors 68020

... as for Leopard, I think Steve will want to demo the Top Secret features himself so most likely, we'll see a One More Thing event a few weeks after MacWorld.

I was fully expecting Leopard to at least get a mention in this Stevenote... release date at the very least.
ipedro is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2007, 03:51 PM   #12
IEatApples
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipedro View Post
MacWorld is more than a keynote. The exhibitors there release products throughout the entire span of the show so I don't see why Apple can't do the same.

I think Apple will leave the expected updates (iLife07, iWork07) and minor hardware bumps to his team of presenters at the Apple booth.

I expect to see the major press regarding the iPhone go on within the next week, but most of it today and tomorrow. At that point, I would see Apple launching iLife, iWork and their other updates on the show room floor.
I hope you're right.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 06:00 PM   #13
MikeyTree
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipedro View Post

I hope you're right, but I doubt it. If Apple was going to update them at all at MW, it would have been smart marketing for Jobs to say so in his keynote. Even a simple one-sentence mention that they're being released would have been an effective teaser and created lots of excitement.
MikeyTree is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2007, 07:42 PM   #14
philb7777
macrumors newbie

Here's what I'm betting will happen

I would guess that with iLife 07 and the new Final Cut Pro, their will be more HD video support in the form of Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, or both. With the new HD 1080p format, one will need monitors to support the new iLife package. Also, you will need new drives (Blu-Ray or combo) in iMacs and Mac Pros. Hence, I would bet sometime in the early spring (March-April) we will get the following announcements (probably simultaneously)

1. iLife O7
2. New version of Final Cut Pro
3. New monitors with HDMI and 1080p capabilities (along with built in iSight)
4. New macs (likely Mac Pros and upper model iMacs) with a BTO blu-ray or combo blu-ray/HD-DVD drive option. We will probably see the 8-core mac pros then too.
5. Oh! And Leopard too!!!

For compatabilities sake, these almost have to be released together.

Last edited by philb7777; Jan 9, 2007 at 07:46 PM. Reason: omission
philb7777 is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2007, 08:02 PM   #15
hypomojo
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by philb7777 View Post
4. New macs (likely Mac Pros and upper model iMacs) with a BTO blu-ray or combo blu-ray/HD-DVD drive option. We will probably see the 8-core mac pros then too.
5. Oh! And Leopard too!!!

For compatabilities sake, these almost have to be released together.
8 core MP's - Crikey! My quad core barely has anything to do, what would they do with more competition?
hypomojo is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Event Archives