Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Event Archives

Old Jan 9, 2007, 02:16 PM   #1
Zazaban
macrumors regular

Where's leopard?

There's nothing new on leopard???/ WHAT????
Old Jan 9, 2007, 02:20 PM   #2
morespce54
macrumors 65816

Yea, what's up with that ???
Old Jan 9, 2007, 02:21 PM   #3
greendragon
macrumors regular

YEA!! go figure...
greendragon is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2007, 02:24 PM   #4
iProd
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to iProd
Unbelievably disappointing
Old Jan 9, 2007, 02:41 PM   #5
triple1k
macrumors newbie

Angry Let Down!

I love Macs, but....

Steve Jobs = George Lucas

This feels just like when I went to see Revenge of the Sith and hoped to see Darth Vader kick butt in the black suit and all I got was ani.... waaaah!!!

iPhone = Ani Skywalker

The phone is cool, but I wanted to see OS X 10.5, Come on Steve.!!!!
triple1k is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2007, 02:47 PM   #6
PYR0M310N
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to PYR0M310N Send a message via Yahoo to PYR0M310N Send a message via Skype™ to PYR0M310N
yeah i'm not too dussed about seeing the iPhone (although it does look pretty cool) but it doesn't come out till June so something about OS 10.5 would have been good
Pwned iPhone 3G 16gb; iPod 5.5 Gen 30gb
Last FM
PYR0M310N is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2007, 02:50 PM   #7
apfhex
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple1k View Post
iPhone = Ani Skywalker
Love your analogy. I think I'll be more entertained by watching the 2 hour keynote later today than I was by Episode III.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 02:54 PM   #8
psychofreak
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYR0M310N View Post
yeah i'm not too dussed about seeing the iPhone (although it does look pretty cool) but it doesn't come out till June so something about OS 10.5 would have been good
Worse for me: I have a router. I have a small tv. I live in the uk (Q4 iPhone). I mean, no iWork/iLife updates (for now)...
psychofreak is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2007, 03:07 PM   #9
triple1k
macrumors newbie

Not a Hater

Don't get me wrong. I am a Cingular customer and if I had 5 or 6 hundred dollars laying around to throw at a phone(already have)/iPod(already have)/mac(already have)..etc you get the point, this iPhone looks very cool.

Someday this might be for me. I guess I was just being greedy and hoping for more on the Mac side of things. It also bothered me when Steve said that they are changing their name to Apple and moving away from Apple computers. Do you think this is something to be concerned about in the future. I am wondering if this means less development in the hardware and software side of things for the MAC. Anyway....things to ponder upon....
triple1k is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2007, 03:11 PM   #10
ogee
macrumors 6502

Thumbs down

Yeh not too impressed. I wanted the ATV and have ordered it along with the new wireless router, but the phone is not of interest as a). I have a smart phone & b). It wont be available for the best part of a year. Still in a years time my phone will be due for replacment so maybe I will take another look. At least they will have had time to get the bugs fixed

I wanted Leopard. Now... or at least a firm release date

Anyone know if the "802.11n Enabler for Mac" can be downloaded anywhere? Its not on software download yet.
ogee is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2007, 03:13 PM   #11
aussie_geek
macrumors 65816

I think the reason Leopard wasn't previewed because Vista has not yet officially shipped yet.

Steve has been caught out too many times by Microsoft , and if Leopard was previewed it would be a sure bet that Vista would be delayed again.

I wouldn't be surprised if there will be a special media event on Leopard very soon after Vista hits the shelves. It would be very soon after - ie within the week it is released to ensure that Apple is not being conceived as a copy cat.

aussie_geek
aussie_geek is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2007, 03:20 PM   #12
letaalio
macrumors member

I am disappointed as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_geek View Post
I think the reason Leopard wasn't previewed because Vista has not yet officially shipped yet.

Steve has been caught out too many times by Microsoft , and if Leopard was previewed it would be a sure bet that Vista would be delayed again.
I don't think that is the case , because MS Vista has been officially released to manufacturing since the end of november (don't quote me on this) and really can't change much.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 03:34 PM   #13
macguysoft
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to macguysoft
Okay...so we know iPhone is the bun but where's the beef? I predict that there will a "one more thing..." devoted to just leopard.
macguysoft is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2007, 03:51 PM   #14
~Shard~
macrumors P6

Send a message via Skype™ to ~Shard~
There's more to life than Leopard guys - it's not the be-all and end-all. We'll be seeing more of it soon enough, just be patient.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 04:44 PM   #15
checkflag
macrumors member

I am unhappy with jobs.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 05:06 PM   #16
Eric5h5
macrumors 68020

Some people may have convinced themselves that Leopard was going to be announced or released or something in January, but Apple themselves never so much as hinted at it. So if you're disappointed you have only yourself to blame.

--Eric
Eric5h5 is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2007, 05:16 PM   #17
SkyBell
macrumors 603

I think I speak for all of the people who got Macs at Christmas when I say: I'm glad they didn't release leopard yet; I don't want to have to update to a new OS as soon as I got my Mac!
Blueberry iBook G3, Apple IIc
SkyBell is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2007, 08:53 PM   #18
Zwhaler
macrumors 603

i was wishing for some of the Top Secret features to be revealed as well. Guess theres always next tuesday...
Old Jan 9, 2007, 09:59 PM   #19
ipedro
macrumors 68020

I'm of the mind that The Keynote speech is just the beginning of MacWorld. I think that iLife and iWork 07 will be launched in an event in the Apple booth on the showroom floor sometime this week.

Leopard? It's not being launched until the end of Q1 so it has plenty of time. Rational thinking? Apple's going to absolutely steal Vista's thunder by launching Leopard at the end of January in a special "more one more thing" event just when Vista is launching it's consumer edition.

In addition, if you look closely, the iPhone's OSX resembles a GUI that Apple's been moving towards. You see the purplish bezels (like iTunes), the black backgrounds and the glassed over toolbars. There's also a heavy use of core animation, a highly touted Leopard feature. Now if you think for a moment here, Leopard is going to be released in Q1, the iPhone in Q3 and the iPhone runs OSX... it doesn't take much to come to the conclusion that the iPhone will be running Leopard.

So yes, we did get a Leopard preview in this keynote, we just weren't told so. I imagine that Leopard will have a completely redesigned UI as seen on the iPhone and might even include gestures (via the iSight - Jobs has a strategy when he's including an iSight on all Macs standard now).

iLife07 + iWork07 - This week
Leopard - End of the month

Bookmark this page. I'm fairly certain of my predictions.

Last edited by ipedro; Jan 10, 2007 at 10:21 PM.
ipedro is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2007, 10:51 PM   #20
bousozoku
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkflag View Post
I am unhappy with jobs.
Try public assistance.

Leopard will be shown soon enough but they're still working on things. We still need 10.4.9 to make Tiger better.
bousozoku is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2007, 10:54 PM   #21
MacNut
macrumors P6

Even if they showed off Leopard I hope you didn't expect to be going to Comp USA any time soon to buy it.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 11:06 PM   #22
Khryz
macrumors 6502a

I agree with everyone's rationale behind Leopard not being mentioned today. Now I don't own a Mac, but am highly interested in a MacBook. From what I've read over the past couple weeks in reviews and articles and posts, OS X Tiger is easily comparable to MS Vista. If that's the case, why would Apple have to rush for displaying Leopard when it's current OS is already competing with MS's brand new OS. If anything, it should give Apple some breathing room about releasing Leopard on schedule that would actually help them instead of right now like many people hoped it would be way ahead of schedule. If there's no rush, why hurry?

Also, NICE FIND in concluding that the iPhone's OS demonstration could very well have been displaying maybe a watered down Leopard version? Nice eyes, I'll have to go back and look at the keynote again.
Khryz is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2007, 11:17 PM   #23
ipedro
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khryz View Post
Also, NICE FIND in concluding that the iPhone's OS demonstration could very well have been displaying maybe a watered down Leopard version? Nice eyes, I'll have to go back and look at the keynote again.
Yeah, it's blaringly obvious. iPhone will be available after Leopard launches and Steve (and the technical notes) say straightforwardly that it runs OSX. Why would it be running OSX Tiger, a step backward by the time the iPhone is out?

I see a lot of core animation used in the UI such as Coverflow's flipping album art, the elastic looking dragging of pages, plenty of expose style effects and more. More importantly, the entire UI seems vector based, otherwise known as resolution independent.

It is obvious that Leopard will look quite a bit alike to what we saw on the iPhone.

From the iLife perspective, leaving iLife 06 so prominantly featured on their page can't last for long. If they didn't intend on releasing a new version soon, they would have at least redesigned the page to omit '06 from the name to buff up the novelty image.

I fully expect an iLife and iWork update this week as well as a Leopard RELEASE by the month's end. Can you tell I'm confident of my predictions?
ipedro is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2007, 11:37 PM   #24
cyrax83
macrumors member

umm I dont think it was a trimmed down version of leopard on the iphone.

for anyone who watched the live stream, jobs pointed out numerous times that it was OS 10 on the iphone.
cyrax83 is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2007, 11:52 PM   #25
ipedro
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrax83 View Post
umm I dont think it was a trimmed down version of leopard on the iphone.

for anyone who watched the live stream, jobs pointed out numerous times that it was OS 10 on the iphone.
I agree. It was obvious by viewing the iPhone in action that it is a full fleged OSX with all it's built in core engines (Core Animation being the most obvious). But the OS and GUI are 2 different things. The front end used on the iPhone is to the iPhone what Front Row is to the Mac.

Again, I reiterate that it was Leopard OSX that we saw on the iPhone for obvious reasons:
1 - Tiger isn't capable of the OS level advanced animation seen on the phone
2 - Why would they use an OS that will be obsolete when the iPhone launches?

Therefore, have a look at the not so secret new UI of OSX Leopard right here.
ipedro is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Event Archives