Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sammich

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
I just got a Panasonic DVR that burns DVD-RAM discs and I wanted to get some programs over to my MBP for archiving.

I read that the MBP's can read but not record the discs. Is there a program that will let me watch whats on the disc? Or is the stuff on the disc proprietory (ie: only to be used by that brand of DVR's)? Cos VLC doesn't like it, neither DVD Player, or Quicktime (all of these quit unexpectedly when I try to open the movie file).

Is there anything I can do?

Cheers

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
I have one of those units and found Toast will import the video. Haven't tried it with the new Toast 8, but in 7, you need to select "Video" as the type of burn, then access the DVD-RAM using the Media drawer. Drag the clips off the DVD-RAM into the Video burn list. Toast seems to import them fairly quickly, so I don't think any transcoding is occurring (far as I know, the format is still MPEG-2 on the DVD-RAM).

Hope this helps.

sammich

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Thanks for quick reply.

Unforutunately I don't have a copy of Toast, and probably won't get it anytime soon (Disco does the job).

I do have a copy of Toast 6 somewhere, no clue if it still exists though...

Is there a freeware app that does that ripping?

Conor J McGowan

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2006
On a related note. . . .

I have a MBP (With Toast, etc, if it helps).

Last night, I recorded a TV program off a Panasonic DMR-ES10 onto a TDK single sided DVD+R. The recording plays back perfectly on the TV, but when I insert the disc into my MBP, it opens it as if it is a blank DVD - and it doesn't show in any directory.

I would very much like to copy the DVD and be able to play it in VLC/QUICKTIME/etc.

Has anyone any idea of how to copy the DVD? If so, a response would be much appreciated. Thanks. C

http://tinyurl.com/yqnbz5

aljuarez

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2007
DVD-RAM in a Macbook!

I just bought a Panasonic DVD recorder and used a DVD-RAM to get stuff off the TV. However, my Macbook won't play it! In fact, it won't even let it stay in. It just pushes it out... do I need an external drive? Or can i just get software to do it? I'd like to be able to see the files and edit them. Help!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.