Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
UT
I am fishing around for an iBook, and found one on eBay that seems to be a good deal. The guy is advertising an upgraded 5400 RPM 40Gig HDD in the iBook 800. I asked him if this was a self installed item, as I see all the HDD's in iBooks on apple.com are 4200 RPM. He never directly answered the question. I want to add Applecare to this if I get it, and I'm afraid a custom item will void that potential.

Is this a reason to worry? Also, someone talk me into spending $$ on a new iBook (since noone seems to want to trade...see my post in For Sale/Trade).

maracz

macrumors member
May 6, 2003
The Apple warranty only works on the original configirations. Meaning even if you have non-Apple ram you have to take it out before the reapirmen tak a look at it. I think that the HD will pretty much void repairs.

iPat

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2002
Not true...
I've sent my ibook in 2X for a mother board replacement with a Crucial 512MB module in it and they never said a thing. Came back each time with the same module in the new mother board. I've had 2 different Apple Geniuses look at it, note the added extra RAM, and they never suggested taking it out before sending it in for repair (although I made sure that they noted the extra ram on the work order to be sure it came back with the ram).

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I think RAM is an exception because it is supposed to be a user-installed part. A hard drive is a different story, and will likely void the warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.