Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Event Archives

Old Jan 10, 2007, 06:04 AM   #1
ksolano
macrumors regular

A little look into the Future with apple.

The thing that got me really excited about this MacWord wasnít the actual products but the tech used in them. If you take the little things and think big with them the possibilities are huge. The multi-touch is outstanding and that kind of tech implemented in a lap-top, tablet or even better, a redesigned desktop could be just around the corner. That scene where from Minority Reports isnít too far off in some aspects.

Another thing that got me going is the phones idea of a non-off function.
You put the phone to sleep instead of turning the thing off & everything is held on some sort of sold state memory. Thinking big with this, maybe a laptop with the same principles? Imagine no boot up times! No turn off, you just put the thing to sleep.

Theres probably a lot that iíve missed, but if anyone else has any ideas of small tech with big ideas let us know... Exciting times ahead.
ksolano is offline   0
Old Jan 10, 2007, 06:06 AM   #2
phungy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksolano View Post
The thing that got me really excited about this MacWord wasnít the actual products but the tech used in them. If you take the little things and think big with them the possibilities are huge. The multi-touch is outstanding and that kind of tech implemented in a lap-top, tablet or even better, a redesigned desktop could be just around the corner. That scene where from Minority Reports isnít too far off in some aspects.

You put the phone to sleep instead of turning the thing off & everything is held on some sort of sold state memory. Thinking big with this, maybe a laptop with the same principles? Imagine no boot up times! No turn off, you just put the thing to sleep.

Theres probably a lot that iíve missed, but if anyone else has any ideas of small tech with big ideas let us know... Exciting times ahead.
I do agree with you. If they made a notebook as thin as the iPhone but with multi-touch as the keyboard, that would be insane.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 06:08 AM   #3
macmike47
macrumors regular

I absolutely agree. There is now so much potential for future products. I think, when they said the first 30 years were just the beginning, they meant it
macmike47 is offline   0
Old Jan 10, 2007, 06:29 AM   #4
MatthewCobb
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by phungy View Post
If they made a notebook as thin as the iPhone but with multi-touch as the keyboard, that would be insane.
PUT ME ON THE WAITING LIST!
Old Jan 10, 2007, 06:34 AM   #5
islandman
macrumors 6502

I agree! Some of the technology used in the iPhone and Apple TV is very revolutionary. I can't wait to see some of it trickle down into the next-generation of laptops and other devices.
islandman is offline   0
Old Jan 10, 2007, 07:46 AM   #6
Cepe Indicum
macrumors regular

Totally agree - I'm sure this is just the beginning!

And it's not just the hardware, but the software too. If this is what Apple can do with a phone UI / apps, Leopard is going to be amazing The teaser Apple posted on their website was not just the iPhone... it's everything that follows.

As a newbie / recent switcher, I am hugely impressed at how Apple is leading the way AGAIN.
Cepe Indicum is offline   0
Old Jan 10, 2007, 08:00 AM   #7
Hashton
macrumors newbie

Quote:

Totally agree on that! I posted the same thing in http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...14#post3233614

about the market infiltration *smiles*
Hashton is offline   0
Old Jan 10, 2007, 08:12 AM   #8
Jiddick ExRex
macrumors 65816

This was also my initial thought. They could easily make a widescreen tablet with the multitouch interface and an optional keyboard in the OS. It would be soooo awesome, since it combines the best of two worlds, a tablet with no stylus and half and inch thin, seeing as there will be no thick screen to unfold.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 11:58 AM   #9
itsmeok
macrumors member

Quote:

Thats good... but think bigger. Think in the lines of integrating both. With the video technology that exists now with apple, (they can now send videos from iMac to your HDTV).. pretty soon, they would be able to do it from iPhone (after all, the UI is iTunes in both). And what next, maybe bradband video to cellular video.. it wont be too long before you can see the person you are talking to on your iPhone to come on your HDTV (using cellular video to your iPhone and then using AppleTV on to your TV).. see where I am getting at?? Star Trek anyone??
itsmeok is offline   0
Old Jan 10, 2007, 04:22 PM   #10
dllavaneras
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiddick ExRex View Post
They could easily make a widescreen tablet with the multitouch interface and an optional keyboard in the OS. It would be soooo awesome, since it combines the best of two worlds, a tablet with no stylus and half and inch thin, seeing as there will be no thick screen to unfold.
I'll take two of those
This technology is mesmerizing! I still remember the old days of using my Macintosh Classic II...
Old Jan 10, 2007, 05:45 PM   #11
Ugg
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Ugg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiddick ExRex View Post
This was also my initial thought. They could easily make a widescreen tablet with the multitouch interface and an optional keyboard in the OS. It would be soooo awesome, since it combines the best of two worlds, a tablet with no stylus and half and inch thin, seeing as there will be no thick screen to unfold.
I'm really liking the multi touch. I was hoping an ultra thin 12" MBP would appear but with multi touch, the weight could be cut in half and that would be a big bonus.
Ugg is offline   0
Old Jan 10, 2007, 07:28 PM   #12
Nutter
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Thinking big with this, maybe a laptop with the same principles? Imagine no boot up times! No turn off, you just put the thing to sleep.
Yes, that would be truly amazing. Imagine, you'd just have to close the lid of your laptop and it would sleep automatically, then wake up exactly as it was when you open the lid. The mind boggles.

Nutter is offline   0
Old Jan 10, 2007, 07:38 PM   #13
Cybix
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Cybix Send a message via Skype™ to Cybix
multi-touch is amazing.. the best thing ever about the iPhone, isnt the phone, but the fact that apple have over 200 patents on the technology used in it,

HA HA HA ! take THAT... competitors! HAH!

back to reality.. it's excellent, the screen pinch stuff rocks, and is just the start of things to come...

think about it.. next gen iMac's with multi-touch displays.

Dont just think about how cool it will be at home, but imagine the professional industry... I mean, I work in "health" (govn hospital)... and I can only see great possibilities in medicine and engineering with multi-touch...

operating theatres, radiology, labs, THIS is the technology...

the whole multiple input touch displays is bigger than people really think.

when steve demo'd 'pinching' that photo, cropping it, and setting it as his iPhone wall paper, I just watched in awe. I mean, I knew this kinda thing was coming, but steve did it... on stage, live, real, in a consumer device.

Multi-touch may also change the way digital artists work... or what about industrial, or high risk work, people with disabilities, gamers, communications..

wow.

now just if everyone could stop bitching about cingular, it's pathetic.

Last edited by Cybix; Jan 10, 2007 at 07:39 PM. Reason: typo's
Cybix is offline   0
Old Jan 10, 2007, 07:39 PM   #14
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter
Yes, that would be truly amazing. Imagine, you'd just have to close the lid of your laptop and it would sleep automatically, then wake up exactly as it was when you open the lid. The mind boggles.
I wonder why nobody else has thought of that?
Old Jan 10, 2007, 07:42 PM   #15
Cybix
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Cybix Send a message via Skype™ to Cybix
Quote:
Originally Posted by skunk View Post
I wonder why nobody else has thought of that?
I love it...
Cybix is offline   0
Old Jan 10, 2007, 07:57 PM   #16
rowanhall
macrumors member

i agree 100%, i waited until the 'spoiler free' link updated and then watched the webcast, i had no idea, and like the quote, they had me at scrolling! haha! its just early days, if they are waiting on fcc approval, thats another 6 months of application development time. to a company the size of apple, thats a lot of develloping!

and the best thing is, take the phone bits out and you have the much mocked up 'true' video ipod... which could be just around the corner!

although...
... only thing is... i'd like to see the sim free (contract free) price...

i mean, is there room for a hdd, as flash is expensive as shown, $100 extra for an extra 4gb flash in the 8gb version.

as for the multi touch, glad to see that this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nXHdkwgOMs) is actually being developed... had hoped apple would snap it up! going to be some pretty groovy products!
Old Jan 10, 2007, 08:24 PM   #17
Khryz
macrumors 6502a

I forsee Apple to be the first company to unveil the teleporter machine! Think SpaceBalls!
Khryz is offline   0
Old Jan 10, 2007, 08:48 PM   #18
Anuba
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter View Post

You mean like Windows XP has done since 2001? Yeah, I see potential for another "Apple first" there.
Anuba is offline   0
Old Jan 11, 2007, 05:03 AM   #19
BUK
macrumors newbie

Damn this moving target! I agree with all the insightful in THIS thread.

I think that the biggest hidded gem is the multi-finger touch sensitive screen. I've seen the technology demo'd at some technology preview forum, but not in a mainstream product. I think that this portends a paradigm shift for workstations in general.

I'm an artist by trade, have been digital since '84 but have missed the old drawing board since then. I want a touch sensitive screen with no lag in the form of a traditional drawing board, that I can use a stylus and my near atrophied left hand interactively. I want to move the "paper" and draw at the same time like in the real world. A nice 42" "DIGITABLE" with legs or a stand to keep it ata drawing angle woud do nicely. It could mimic any and all things like audio mixing boards, film editing etc. Once I got the 24" iMac I could see how close we are. But, this multi-touch sensitive screen stuff just makes me drool. Maybe that what Jobs has up his sleeve.
BUK is offline   0
Old Jan 11, 2007, 05:32 AM   #20
Bye Bye Baby
macrumors 65816

Yep! Amazing

Obviously this is just a first. It will be interesting to se how this technology evolves into keyborards, Úaptop etc. Imagine a laptop that opens up and has two screens, one on the bottom that can be used as a keyboard or touch interface, or the whole thing could become full screen touch. That's amazing!!!
However, there is something in tactile feedback that may need to be improved. I am still dependant on feeling that key depress before I register that I have actually typed what I want. A small hurdle, but one that David Pogue did rightly notice.
Bye Bye Baby is offline   0
Old Jan 11, 2007, 06:02 AM   #21
j26
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bye Bye Baby View Post
Obviously this is just a first. It will be interesting to se how this technology evolves into keyborards, Úaptop etc. Imagine a laptop that opens up and has two screens, one on the bottom that can be used as a keyboard or touch interface, or the whole thing could become full screen touch. That's amazing!!!
A sort of DS Lite on steroids
j26 is offline   0
Old Jan 11, 2007, 06:03 AM   #22
chatin
macrumors 6502

I haven't been able to download the keynote but this is what I'm thinking:

I think for all it's revolutionary features the iPhone is too convervative. The blank black slate has not worked for companies in the past.

Too dark and forboding. The whole light and dark thing gives me the creeps. I want to feel good about spending $600 for a phone.

The TV is so simple it is not revolutionary either. The TV is a glorified wireless antenna that does not do anything in true hi-def. I don't think the movies are hi-def on iTunes. I true hi-def movie is 37 GB in size.

Not going to kill HD-DVD which is very cheap and 1080i.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 06:25 AM   #23
BoyBach
macrumors 68040

I think that the release of a proper widescreen/touchscreen iPod (not iPhone) in time for the Christmas sales is a certainty.

Remember the touch sensitive bevel patent application from a few months ago? Imagine that built into all future displays - adjusting brightness, contrast and even the volume by stroking the side of your iMacs display. That would be nice.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Event Archives