Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Event Archives

Old Jan 10, 2007, 11:47 AM   #1
bridonohue
macrumors newbie

Video IPOD - How soon

It would seem that all the technology exists for the video ipod in the iphone, just strip out the phone functions, wi-fi, and os x, add a 100g hard drive and you have it. seems like the major tech hurdles have been figured out (except maybe battery) so is this possible for "and another thing" next month?
bridonohue is offline   0
Old Jan 10, 2007, 12:02 PM   #2
SwiftLives
macrumors Demi-God

Send a message via AIM to SwiftLives
I doubt we're going to see just a widescreen video iPod. My theory is that in about 2 years, the iPhone will replace the iPod as components come down in price (and the exclusivity between Apple and Cingular expires). Remember the 60GB iPod Photo originally sold for $599.
SwiftLives is offline   0
Old Jan 10, 2007, 12:02 PM   #3
dernhelm
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridonohue View Post
It would seem that all the technology exists for the video ipod in the iphone, just strip out the phone functions, wi-fi, and os x, add a 100g hard drive and you have it. seems like the major tech hurdles have been figured out (except maybe battery) so is this possible for "and another thing" next month?
Ding! This I would buy. But there may be "other issues". Part of the contract with Cingular's exclusivity agreement may be to not move any of the compelling features to their iPod line for some period of time. I hope not, but it is possible.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 12:19 PM   #4
tfh1013
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgobble View Post
I doubt we're going to see just a widescreen video iPod. My theory is that in about 2 years, the iPhone will replace the iPod as components come down in price (and the exclusivity between Apple and Cingular expires). Remember the 60GB iPod Photo originally sold for $599.
There is no way for Apple to do this, because the iPhone is sold with a contract to Cingular. I think that we will inevitably see an iPod with widescreen video.
tfh1013 is offline   0
Old Jan 10, 2007, 12:25 PM   #5
atszyman
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to atszyman
They have 6 months until the US iPhone release so they could easily do a video iPod (similar in size to the iPhone) anytime between now and June and get the innovations to everyone while the iPhone comes down in price and hopefully eases carrier restrictions.
atszyman is offline   0
Old Jan 10, 2007, 12:32 PM   #6
hamholio
macrumors member

I doubt it will happen. The massive bank from 2 years of Cingular Service is too much. They know that we would all buy a $350 "video ipod" right now, because we want it, but then that knocks the incentive to pony up for the iphone down 1/3.
hamholio is offline   0
Old Jan 10, 2007, 12:33 PM   #7
backtothefuture
macrumors member

Does anyone think it possible that the new true video iPod could be flash based? This would be fantastic...and maybe thats why they are holding out. Or thats what I will tell myself.
backtothefuture is offline   0
Old Jan 10, 2007, 12:44 PM   #8
lord patton
macrumors 65816

Certainly it's a question of when, not if.

I'd bet a lot of money that the widescreen, multi-touch video iPod will come out before the '07 holiday season.

I doubt it would debut before the iPhone ships. There will be supply constraints, worries about cannabalizing iPhone sales, and perhaps an agreement with Cingular not to let the tech out sans-contract (although I doubt this—Apple seems to be the strong hand in these partnerships).

Of course, we don't know how much of the multi-touch GUI depends on the Intel processor and the OS X.

It may be that an hard drive based unsubsidized video iPod—everything but the wifi, bluetooth, and cell phone—would still retail for $500, possibly $400.

And when you get down to it, keeping the 2 MP camera and some kind of wireless protocol would be advantageous.

So who knows? 20 months from now, in time for holiday '08, I bet this tech will have been incorporated down into iPods, up into portable Macs, and possibly a multi-touch tablet.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 12:53 PM   #9
atszyman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamholio View Post
I doubt it will happen. The massive bank from 2 years of Cingular Service is too much. They know that we would all buy a $350 "video ipod" right now, because we want it, but then that knocks the incentive to pony up for the iphone down 1/3.
I don't know, if they remove the phone and WiFi (keep BlueTooth), you have a true video iPod with wireless syncing and not phone or internet applications. I think that the additional phone/net apps would cause a lot of people to wait and get the phone, especially if the prices are similar. If the iPhone were capable of doing GPS I'd be really tempted to combine a set of 3 devices into one where without the phone I'd probably not jump as quickly.
atszyman is offline   0
Old Jan 10, 2007, 12:56 PM   #10
feelthefire
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by atszyman View Post
They have 6 months until the US iPhone release so they could easily do a video iPod (similar in size to the iPhone) anytime between now and June and get the innovations to everyone while the iPhone comes down in price and hopefully eases carrier restrictions.
It's under multiyear contract with cingular, so the price won't be coming down and the carrier restrictions definitely won't be easing until that multiyear deal is over. My guess is it's probably a 2 year exclusivity deal.
feelthefire is offline   0
Old Jan 10, 2007, 12:58 PM   #11
atszyman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelthefire View Post
It's under multiyear contract with cingular, so the price won't be coming down and the carrier restrictions definitely won't be easing until that multiyear deal is over. My guess is it's probably a 2 year exclusivity deal.
Carrier restrictions won't ease until the deal is over that's certain, but prices could easily drop substantially in that time.

iPods seem to drop in price every year so why wouldn't the phone do the same?
atszyman is offline   0
Old Jan 10, 2007, 01:02 PM   #12
bridonohue
macrumors newbie

i guess soon

i would guess sooner rather than later. i think the competition with the iphone is not a huge issue since it is really two different audiences. i want a iphone right now, but i will not get one. The initial cost is not what keeps me from one, it is the cost to own. after paying $600 for the phone, cingular will cost at least $60 a month for voice and data, so the phone would cost about $2,040 for two years. this is fine if you can expense your phone bill (and i think it will be a status symbol item for businesses and especially political campaigns next year), but it is not a big consumer product. also the 8g flash drive makes it an impractical video device, most of our current playlists couldn't fit on the phone. cingular has an exclusive on the cell service, not the technology. the two products wouldn't compete because they are for 2 different groups of people. also, if apple really wants to get people to buy an appletv they need to give them incentives to download more movies, and an video ipod would spur sales.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 01:04 PM   #13
failsafe1
macrumors 6502a

I did not think we would see a phone and I was wrong. Now that we have the iPhone I would venture a guess this is the future of the iPod? I think we are looking at the rumored video iPod or a very close approximation. I can't see going back to something that would not continue to push converging technologies into one package.
failsafe1 is offline   0
Old Jan 10, 2007, 01:22 PM   #14
bridonohue
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord patton View Post

Of course, we don't know how much of the multi-touch GUI depends on the Intel processor and the OS X.
good point
Old Jan 10, 2007, 01:44 PM   #15
bbydon
macrumors 6502a

my guess is october....just in time for christmas.
and the won't disturb the iphone launch
bbydon is offline   0
Old Jan 10, 2007, 01:49 PM   #16
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God

I don't think a widescreen iPod would cannibalize iPhone sales anymore than regular iPods cannibalize iPod Nano sales.

Lethal
Old Jan 10, 2007, 04:41 PM   #17
macsnjets
macrumors newbie

Last Christmas I told my wife, don't get me anything, I'll wait for Macworld SF and get a widescreen iPod, then again this Christmas I had the same idea. I had my Apple gift cards waiting in hand and then BAM, no Widescreen iPod again. How much longer can one wait ? If the iPhone had larger storage then maybe I'd go for it. Right now I just don't know. Uggghhhh...
macsnjets is offline   0
Old Jan 11, 2007, 05:40 PM   #18
TimV
macrumors member

I also think a widescreen video iPod is a possibilty but not until the end of this year, well after the iPhone has been out.

Also, I wouldn't count on it having any of the extra features that the iPhone has, either (Camera, Bluetooth, WiFi, Internet, E-mail, etc.). There has to be a distinct difference between the iPod and the iPhone.

If it does come out, I would expect it to have only the iPod functionality from the iPhone (Music, Movies, Pictures, Coverflow) along with the widscreen display, Multi-Touch UI and ~80 GB HDD (this would actually be a pretty cool device!)

OTOH, they may decide not to release something like this at all, thinking it may take business away from their iPhone. They may focus strictly on continuing development on the iPhone as their new de-facto handheld device. I could see this happening just as easily.
TimV is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Event Archives