Old May 13, 2003, 06:31 AM   #1
MOFS
macrumors Demi-God

Gateway trying to be like Apple?

Look at this site!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3012719.stm

You can see the headlines now:

COWabunga dudes - my TV just crashed!

What are they gonna do? Beige TVs? Or maybe some with cow marking?

Look at the factory as well - not quite Cupertino eh? I hope to dear God that Apple's HQ is not multicoloured.
MOFS is offline   0
Old May 13, 2003, 08:55 PM   #2
scem0
macrumors 604

I'm glad to see they are doing bad, but I indirectly supported them by buying an 18.1" LCD of theirs off eBay.
scem0 is offline   0
Old May 14, 2003, 11:57 AM   #3
Jaykay
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Jaykay
Re: Gateway trying to be like Apple?

Quote:
Originally posted by MOFS

Look at the factory as well - not quite Cupertino eh? I hope to dear God that Apple's HQ is not multicoloured.
Yeah, damn thats one ugly building. It seems that apple are the opposite, they have a beige building with multicoloured computers and gateway have a multicoloured building with beige computers....
Old May 14, 2003, 11:40 PM   #4
5300cs
macrumors 68000

Sounds like they're on the long road to bankruptcy. What a shame

Didn't they make an all-in-one machine that looked just like the iMac, then deubt a TV commercial with their idiotic rip-off machine jumping over it's own inspiration?

Good riddence to bad rubbish...
Old May 14, 2003, 11:51 PM   #5
Sun Baked
macrumors G5

Will Gateway Survive This?

Quote:
Gateway says it is target of Justice Department probe

REUTERS

5:38 p.m., May 14, 2003

SAN DIEGO – Gateway Inc. Wednesday said the U.S. Justice Department was conducting a criminal investigation into the ailing personal computer maker's accounting practices, which are already the subject of a Securities and Exchange Commission probe.

The Poway-based company's shares fell as much as 8 percent on the news before recovering.

In its quarterly financial filing with the SEC, Gateway said that the probe is related to the same time period and subject matter as the previously disclosed SEC investigation.

The SEC investigation began in December of 2000 and focuses on Gateway's accounting for packaged deals it offered with AOL Internet services. Gateway first disclosed the probe in November 2002 and last month said that it was lowering its reported revenue for 1999, 2000 and 2001 in connection with the AOL agreement.

[delete to end]
Old May 16, 2003, 06:28 PM   #6
MacFan25
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally posted by 5300cs
Sounds like they're on the long road to bankruptcy. What a shame
I dont like Gateway's products, but I certainly don't want to see people lose their jobs.
Old May 16, 2003, 06:34 PM   #7
Gymnut
macrumors 68000

Yeah, Gateway's ripoff of the iMac was the Profile. Even a PC magazine went so far as to rank the Flat screen iMac a better value than the Profile. I believe Gateway has an ad out now with the heading: Rip, Burn, Respect. What a crock! I hope they file for chapter 11. The bastards.
Gymnut is offline   0
Old May 30, 2003, 09:32 PM   #8
applemacdude
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to applemacdude Send a message via AIM to applemacdude Send a message via MSN to applemacdude Send a message via Yahoo to applemacdude Send a message via Skype™ to applemacdude
gateways gonna die....yay!!!
applemacdude is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Mac Scene