Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Event Archives

Old Jan 10, 2007, 02:39 PM   #1
CubeHacker
macrumors 65816

Keynote plays at higher quality on a Mac than on a PC

I was watching the keynote on my Mac but I got tired of standing (no chair by my Mac - don't ask). So I go to my windows PC and load it up there, and I immediately notice that the resolution here is lower, and the framerate is only 8fps. I go back to my Mac, and sure enough, its playing at a (slightly) higher resolution there, and at 20fps. I checked quicktime and the settings between them are identical.

Anyone know what gives?
CubeHacker is offline   0
Old Jan 10, 2007, 02:41 PM   #2
iMeowbot
macrumors 601

You may want to look at the PC's QuickTime settings, particularly the streaming speed. It may be set to use less than the bandwidth you really have available.
iMeowbot is offline   0
Old Jan 10, 2007, 02:46 PM   #3
CubeHacker
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMeowbot View Post
You may want to look at the PC's QuickTime settings, particularly the streaming speed. It may be set to use less than the bandwidth you really have available.
Nope. Like I said, identical settings.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 02:48 PM   #4
iMeowbot
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubeHacker View Post
Nope. Like I said, identical settings.
What speed did you choose for streaming, automatic? Have you tried choosing a specific speed?
iMeowbot is offline   0
Old Jan 10, 2007, 02:58 PM   #5
CubeHacker
macrumors 65816

Quote:
What speed did you choose for streaming, automatic? Have you tried choosing a specific speed?
Yep, tried Automatic, 1.5mbps, and T1/LAN. They all play like crap on the PC. Looks fine on my Mac. Can anyone else with both a PC and a Mac check this out?
Old Jan 10, 2007, 03:16 PM   #6
Anuba
macrumors 68040

Can't verify what you're saying but I wouldn't doubt it. It certainly wouldn't be the first instance of Apple intentionally making stuff suck on PC more than it has to. I remember a version of QuickTime for PC a few years back, must have been QT4 or 5 - it had this way of freezing up the system in a way which no other application from no other company could dream of. It was as if it was tailor made to convey the impression that Windows sucks, and this was on Windows 2K which was a milestone in stability on the PC (prior versions crashed constantly).

I've noticed similar things over the years, I was never able to put my finger on it but I always had this sneaking suspicion that they built some kind of "subtle sabotage" code into their Windows apps. I jump a lot between the platforms and use the same apps on both, but nowhere is the cross-platform quality gap larger than with Apple's software.

HD QuickTime movies are completely unwatchable on my PC which has 8 times more video RAM, 4 times more RAM and a much faster CPU than my Mac Mini, and yet these films play better on the Mini.

QT and iTunes take forEVER to start on the PC. There's just nothing slower than iTunes. Well, maybe Photoshop CS2 but it's a monster compared to iTunes.

Even their hardware is anti-PC. I must have something like 50 USB gadgets and they all work flawlessly with the PC, except two: iPod Nano and iPod Mini. If they're connected at bootup my Dell notebook freezes before Windows even starts loading.

So I dunno. Normally I don't touch conspiracy theories with a 40 foot pole, but with Apple and this infantile anti-PC thing they've had going ever since the "Pentium toaster" days, I wouldn't even raise an eyebrow if it turns out one day that Apple has been doing this crap all along.

See, I hate both M$ and Apple, but for different reasons. I hate M$ because they're stupid. I hate Apple because they're the epitome of pure evil. Bill Gates is Goofy, Steve Jobs is Hannibal Lecter.
Anuba is offline   0
Old Jan 10, 2007, 03:20 PM   #7
iMeowbot
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubeHacker View Post
Yep, tried Automatic, 1.5mbps, and T1/LAN. They all play like crap on the PC. Looks fine on my Mac. Can anyone else with both a PC and a Mac check this out?
There is something misconfigured on your end somewhere. I'm getting the same 20 fps on both XP and Tiger.

There are some additional settings with the Windows version of QuickTime that might be worth checking in the control panel, such as the video acceleration gobbledygook. "The same on both machines" simply wouldn't apply to many settings, since they aren't configurable on the Mac version.
iMeowbot is offline   0
Old Jan 10, 2007, 03:22 PM   #8
bartelby
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anuba View Post
Can't verify what you're saying but I wouldn't doubt it. It certainly wouldn't be the first instance of Apple intentionally making stuff suck on PC more than it has to. I remember a version of QuickTime for PC a few years back, must have been QT4 or 5 - it had this way of freezing up the system in a way which no other application from no other company could dream of. It was as if it was tailor made to convey the impression that Windows sucks, and this was on Windows 2K which was a milestone in stability on the PC (prior versions crashed constantly).

I've noticed similar things over the years, I was never able to put my finger on it but I always had this sneaking suspicion that they built some kind of "subtle sabotage" code into their Windows apps. I jump a lot between the platforms and use the same apps on both, but nowhere is the cross-platform quality gap larger than with Apple's software.

HD QuickTime movies are completely unwatchable on my PC which has 8 times more video RAM, 4 times more RAM and a much faster CPU than my Mac Mini, and yet these films play better on the Mini.

QT and iTunes take forEVER to start on the PC. There's just nothing slower than iTunes. Well, maybe Photoshop CS2 but it's a monster compared to iTunes.

Even their hardware is anti-PC. I must have something like 50 USB gadgets and they all work flawlessly with the PC, except two: iPod Nano and iPod Mini. If they're connected at bootup my Dell notebook freezes before Windows even starts loading.

So I dunno. Normally I don't touch conspiracy theories with a 40 foot pole, but with Apple and this infantile anti-PC thing they've had going ever since the "Pentium toaster" days, I wouldn't even raise an eyebrow if it turns out one day that Apple has been doing this crap all along.

See, I hate both M$ and Apple, but for different reasons. I hate M$ because they're stupid. I hate Apple because they're the epitome of pure evil. Bill Gates is Goofy, Steve Jobs is Hannibal Lecter.

Well bin the Dell and buy an Apple computer then
bartelby is offline   0
Old Jan 10, 2007, 03:31 PM   #9
CubeHacker
macrumors 65816

Quote:
There is something misconfigured on your end somewhere. I'm getting the same 20 fps on both XP and Tiger.

There are some additional settings with the Windows version of QuickTime that might be worth checking in the control panel, such as the video acceleration gobbledygook. "The same on both machines" simply wouldn't apply to many settings, since they aren't configurable on the Mac version.
Strange. Everything is set to the highest settings. Both are QT Pro and the latest version. I don't understand why my lowly G4 Cube is getting a better stream than my PC is.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 03:33 PM   #10
MacBoobsPro
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to MacBoobsPro
My guess QuickTime is optimized for OSX and takes advantage of certain technologies that Windows does not have.
MacBoobsPro is offline   0
Old Jan 10, 2007, 03:41 PM   #11
Anuba
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartelby View Post
Well bin the Dell and buy an Apple computer then
I have two Apple computers, I doubt a third one would make any difference. I use them for testing and misc. toying around, but as a work platform, no way in hell. Hate the screen clutter, hate the workflow speedbumps, and if I ever need a slogan I'll use "Napalm over Cupertino".
Anuba is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Event Archives