Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Event Archives

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 10, 2007, 02:39 PM   #1
CubeHacker
macrumors 65816
 
CubeHacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Keynote plays at higher quality on a Mac than on a PC

I was watching the keynote on my Mac but I got tired of standing (no chair by my Mac - don't ask). So I go to my windows PC and load it up there, and I immediately notice that the resolution here is lower, and the framerate is only 8fps. I go back to my Mac, and sure enough, its playing at a (slightly) higher resolution there, and at 20fps. I checked quicktime and the settings between them are identical.

Anyone know what gives?
CubeHacker is offline   0
Old Jan 10, 2007, 02:41 PM   #2
iMeowbot
macrumors 601
 
iMeowbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
You may want to look at the PC's QuickTime settings, particularly the streaming speed. It may be set to use less than the bandwidth you really have available.
iMeowbot is offline   0
Old Jan 10, 2007, 02:46 PM   #3
CubeHacker
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
CubeHacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMeowbot View Post
You may want to look at the PC's QuickTime settings, particularly the streaming speed. It may be set to use less than the bandwidth you really have available.
Nope. Like I said, identical settings.
CubeHacker is offline   0
Old Jan 10, 2007, 02:48 PM   #4
iMeowbot
macrumors 601
 
iMeowbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubeHacker View Post
Nope. Like I said, identical settings.
What speed did you choose for streaming, automatic? Have you tried choosing a specific speed?
iMeowbot is offline   0
Old Jan 10, 2007, 02:58 PM   #5
CubeHacker
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
CubeHacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMeowbot View Post
What speed did you choose for streaming, automatic? Have you tried choosing a specific speed?
Yep, tried Automatic, 1.5mbps, and T1/LAN. They all play like crap on the PC. Looks fine on my Mac. Can anyone else with both a PC and a Mac check this out?
CubeHacker is offline   0
Old Jan 10, 2007, 03:16 PM   #6
Anuba
macrumors 68040
 
Anuba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Can't verify what you're saying but I wouldn't doubt it. It certainly wouldn't be the first instance of Apple intentionally making stuff suck on PC more than it has to. I remember a version of QuickTime for PC a few years back, must have been QT4 or 5 - it had this way of freezing up the system in a way which no other application from no other company could dream of. It was as if it was tailor made to convey the impression that Windows sucks, and this was on Windows 2K which was a milestone in stability on the PC (prior versions crashed constantly).

I've noticed similar things over the years, I was never able to put my finger on it but I always had this sneaking suspicion that they built some kind of "subtle sabotage" code into their Windows apps. I jump a lot between the platforms and use the same apps on both, but nowhere is the cross-platform quality gap larger than with Apple's software.

HD QuickTime movies are completely unwatchable on my PC which has 8 times more video RAM, 4 times more RAM and a much faster CPU than my Mac Mini, and yet these films play better on the Mini.

QT and iTunes take forEVER to start on the PC. There's just nothing slower than iTunes. Well, maybe Photoshop CS2 but it's a monster compared to iTunes.

Even their hardware is anti-PC. I must have something like 50 USB gadgets and they all work flawlessly with the PC, except two: iPod Nano and iPod Mini. If they're connected at bootup my Dell notebook freezes before Windows even starts loading.

So I dunno. Normally I don't touch conspiracy theories with a 40 foot pole, but with Apple and this infantile anti-PC thing they've had going ever since the "Pentium toaster" days, I wouldn't even raise an eyebrow if it turns out one day that Apple has been doing this crap all along.

See, I hate both M$ and Apple, but for different reasons. I hate M$ because they're stupid. I hate Apple because they're the epitome of pure evil. Bill Gates is Goofy, Steve Jobs is Hannibal Lecter.
Anuba is offline   0
Old Jan 10, 2007, 03:20 PM   #7
iMeowbot
macrumors 601
 
iMeowbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubeHacker View Post
Yep, tried Automatic, 1.5mbps, and T1/LAN. They all play like crap on the PC. Looks fine on my Mac. Can anyone else with both a PC and a Mac check this out?
There is something misconfigured on your end somewhere. I'm getting the same 20 fps on both XP and Tiger.

There are some additional settings with the Windows version of QuickTime that might be worth checking in the control panel, such as the video acceleration gobbledygook. "The same on both machines" simply wouldn't apply to many settings, since they aren't configurable on the Mac version.
iMeowbot is offline   0
Old Jan 10, 2007, 03:22 PM   #8
bartelby
macrumors Core
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anuba View Post
Can't verify what you're saying but I wouldn't doubt it. It certainly wouldn't be the first instance of Apple intentionally making stuff suck on PC more than it has to. I remember a version of QuickTime for PC a few years back, must have been QT4 or 5 - it had this way of freezing up the system in a way which no other application from no other company could dream of. It was as if it was tailor made to convey the impression that Windows sucks, and this was on Windows 2K which was a milestone in stability on the PC (prior versions crashed constantly).

I've noticed similar things over the years, I was never able to put my finger on it but I always had this sneaking suspicion that they built some kind of "subtle sabotage" code into their Windows apps. I jump a lot between the platforms and use the same apps on both, but nowhere is the cross-platform quality gap larger than with Apple's software.

HD QuickTime movies are completely unwatchable on my PC which has 8 times more video RAM, 4 times more RAM and a much faster CPU than my Mac Mini, and yet these films play better on the Mini.

QT and iTunes take forEVER to start on the PC. There's just nothing slower than iTunes. Well, maybe Photoshop CS2 but it's a monster compared to iTunes.

Even their hardware is anti-PC. I must have something like 50 USB gadgets and they all work flawlessly with the PC, except two: iPod Nano and iPod Mini. If they're connected at bootup my Dell notebook freezes before Windows even starts loading.

So I dunno. Normally I don't touch conspiracy theories with a 40 foot pole, but with Apple and this infantile anti-PC thing they've had going ever since the "Pentium toaster" days, I wouldn't even raise an eyebrow if it turns out one day that Apple has been doing this crap all along.

See, I hate both M$ and Apple, but for different reasons. I hate M$ because they're stupid. I hate Apple because they're the epitome of pure evil. Bill Gates is Goofy, Steve Jobs is Hannibal Lecter.

Well bin the Dell and buy an Apple computer then
bartelby is offline   0
Old Jan 10, 2007, 03:31 PM   #9
CubeHacker
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
CubeHacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMeowbot View Post
There is something misconfigured on your end somewhere. I'm getting the same 20 fps on both XP and Tiger.

There are some additional settings with the Windows version of QuickTime that might be worth checking in the control panel, such as the video acceleration gobbledygook. "The same on both machines" simply wouldn't apply to many settings, since they aren't configurable on the Mac version.
Strange. Everything is set to the highest settings. Both are QT Pro and the latest version. I don't understand why my lowly G4 Cube is getting a better stream than my PC is.
CubeHacker is offline   0
Old Jan 10, 2007, 03:33 PM   #10
MacBoobsPro
macrumors 603
 
MacBoobsPro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Send a message via AIM to MacBoobsPro
My guess QuickTime is optimized for OSX and takes advantage of certain technologies that Windows does not have.
MacBoobsPro is offline   0
Old Jan 10, 2007, 03:41 PM   #11
Anuba
macrumors 68040
 
Anuba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartelby View Post
Well bin the Dell and buy an Apple computer then
I have two Apple computers, I doubt a third one would make any difference. I use them for testing and misc. toying around, but as a work platform, no way in hell. Hate the screen clutter, hate the workflow speedbumps, and if I ever need a slogan I'll use "Napalm over Cupertino".
Anuba is offline   0


 
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Event Archives

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is Keynote on the iPad a true alternative to Keynote on the Mac? nienque iPad Apps 5 Nov 9, 2013 03:46 PM
Higher DPI Means Higher Resolution (Really?) leerkeller Digital Photography 4 Jun 13, 2013 08:37 AM
OS X: Who plays League of Legends on Mac? isephmusic Mac and PC Games 8 Feb 10, 2013 07:21 AM
Replace iTunes songs with higher quality versions and retain "date added" ? Nor*Cal Mac Applications and Mac App Store 3 Nov 30, 2012 02:06 PM
Next iPhone to Have Thinner, Higher Quality Screen MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 214 Jul 23, 2012 10:54 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:47 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC