Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
How can you compare a 16" VAIO to a 12" PowerBook?

Is the VAIO Centrino? DVD burner in the Sony is better, does both +RW and -RW.

Mac has nicer OS and included programs (iLife).

Parsa

macrumors member
May 6, 2003
Wow. Well here are some questions... Have you used a computer much in the past?
Are you a previous Mac or PC user that might already have software?
Do you have any *really* specialized programs for your work that only run on one system or the other?
Do you use Sony stuff like digital cameras that have Sony memory sticks?

As a Mac owner for 11 years (and user much longer), I'd always say get a Mac. Once you go Mac, you won't go back (IMO). I use a Pentium at work, and it drives me batty trying to do things that are *really* easy on my Macs. I also have never had one single virus on any of my Macs--ever. How many PC owners can say that?

Parsa

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
hill.ed, the 16" VAIO has a really nice screen, and as mentioned it's DVD burner is good.

i guess you've got to consider if you've come from a PC background. if you're comfortable with them and happy with the performance of the OS, then...

on the other hand, i'd never go back to PC and one big reason is because of OS X. i love it that much. i also don't know if you are much of an asthetics person, but after using my TiBook i don't think i could get used to lugging around a PC notebook all day.

OS X and the size of the PowerBooks are the two main reasons i'd say go with the 12" PowerBook. unless you want to give all that up just for a 16" screen (you can always hook up an external display with your 12") and a DVD burner with -RW +RW option.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-hill.ed

This is going to sound terse, but buy what you need, and where you think you'll be needing it in the future.

Personally, I find my Macs tend to keep up with me better than my PC's as my life evolves. That being said, I'd lean on the Macs side - even if it's not as spec flashy on the surface.

maracz

macrumors member
May 6, 2003
Originally posted by mikeyredk
i can but i also use a mac

Hah. That's what you think. You've had plenty of viruses or spyware on your computer Thousands probably. Run a virus checker and adware on any pc...even a brand new one (meaning less than a month old) and you'll find something.

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
Originally posted by patrick0brien
-hill.ed

This is going to sound terse, but buy what you need, and where you think you'll be needing it in the future.

Personally, I find my Macs tend to keep up with me better than my PC's as my life evolves. That being said, I'd lean on the Macs side - even if it's not as spec flashy on the surface.
I think you may be overstating things a bit. I now only use a 4 year old (P3 500MHz) IBM ThinkPad laptop (built in 1999) as my computer at home. No, it doesn't run modern games, but it deals with win2k just fine (removed it for mandrake linux... but that is another thread), all internet stuff is fine, office suites run fine, rips mp3's fine, etc etc. In fact, it suits my relatively simple needs so well that it has not been replaced by the iBook that I crave so badly, yet. At this rate, I will probably keep the machine until it dies (liekly to last as long as a G3 PB will)! Attitudes like mine are what led to the decline in sales in the past year or 2. We have P2 400 machines at work that people use for win98 and office 2000 all day long... and they don't get any more work done than I do on my AMD TBird 1333 MHz box running the same setup.

jacobj

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Jersey
As everyone has been saying: it's all about the OS and the bundled applications. There really are no comparisons between the two. With Mac you get an intuitive and user friendly interface: I'm no IT wiz and get tired of setting up stuff on my PC at work..luckily I am quite literally surrounded by IT people and they help out, but at home I have none of that support and yet I have a decent little network set up.

Then of course there is the iLife suite of apps. If you want to have the digital lifestyle where everything happily integrates with everything else then it has to be the Mac.

OK the Sony is a more powerful machine, but in a year's time the difference will seem negligable when you compare it to the latest machines. Give yourself a rest from the worry and stick the the PowerBook: it's a pleasure to use and when you really get into it, you stop worrying about spec and start loving the experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.