Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Event Archives

Old Jan 11, 2007, 01:08 PM   #1
MacVault
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to MacVault Send a message via Yahoo to MacVault Send a message via Skype™ to MacVault
AirPort Extreme - no Gigabit Ethernet?? WTF!?

Who's dumba$$ idea was it at Apple to not put Gigabit ethernet ports on the new Airport Extreme? I just can't beleive it! Is it just a typo? Or is slower speed really the "in thing" now days??? WTF?! Apple won't be getting my money for that thing. Man, what a Fvq3d Up MacWorld Keynote.

Oh, and the USB hard drive sharing feature is a nice touch but it better not be Apple's solution to the home server need.

Last edited by MacVault; Jan 11, 2007 at 01:17 PM.
MacVault is offline   0
Old Jan 11, 2007, 01:14 PM   #2
RichP
macrumors 68000

It has to by a typo, right? If it was not, that means the wired ethernet ports are slower than the wireless connection!
Old Jan 11, 2007, 01:18 PM   #3
sikkinixx
macrumors 68020

maybe it is a way of trying to push you into wireless?
Old Jan 11, 2007, 01:23 PM   #4
thefunkymunky
macrumors 65816

The AppleTV wotist doesn't have Gigabit ethernet either.

Having said that, Apple is not the only manufacturer to have a router that supports the faster wireless but still only has 10/100 ethernet on it.
thefunkymunky is offline   0
Old Jan 11, 2007, 01:26 PM   #5
MacVault
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to MacVault Send a message via Yahoo to MacVault Send a message via Skype™ to MacVault
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefunkymunky View Post
The AppleTV wotist doesn't have Gigabit ethernet either.

Having said that, Apple is not the only manufacturer to have a router that supports the faster wireless but still only has 10/100 ethernet on it.
There is ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE for this CRAP! What good is Gigabit on the new Macs if the router Apple sells is only 10/100?? WTF! I almost don't beleive it! I'm trying to convince myself it's a type but I know it's not

The last 30 years were just the beginning. Welcome to 2007 - where we make products that are 90% awsome and 50% halfA$$-STUPID!

Last edited by MacVault; Jan 11, 2007 at 01:37 PM.
MacVault is offline   0
Old Jan 11, 2007, 01:35 PM   #6
Sam0r
macrumors regular

What?! Seriously? So they upgrade every mac with gigabit ethernet, but don't support it in their networking equipment.

Clever!
Sam0r is offline   0
Old Jan 11, 2007, 01:37 PM   #7
clintob
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to clintob
Whoa people, hang on, hang on...

1) I agree Gigabit ethernet would be nice, of course. But keep in mind that Gigabit (although included on MacPro's) it's still a VERY sparsely used technology in home networks and the Airport is a home networking device. It's not meant for setting up major networks with Gigabit switches, etc.

2) The price point of the Airport ($175) is pretty darn low for a multi-port router that also allows printer/hard drive sharing and Pre-N support.

3) Also, since we're on the subject, we should probably stop dealing in theoreticals. In theory, 802.11n has all kinds of potential but in practice most reviewers and users have reported that its speeds are pretty much in line with what they get out of wired 10/100 networks. So before we jump around screaming that the wired will be slower than the wireless, let's be real. In practice, the two will probably be identical - about 100Mbps.

No, it's not Gigabit, and I would LOVE that as much as anyone. But one thing at a time...
Canon 30D, 70-200L IS f2.8, 17-40L f4, 50 f1.4
clintob is offline   0
Old Jan 11, 2007, 01:41 PM   #8
tdhurst
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to tdhurst Send a message via Yahoo to tdhurst Send a message via Skype™ to tdhurst
Sweet

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintob View Post

1) I agree Gigabit ethernet would be nice, of course. But keep in mind that Gigabit (although included on MacPro's) it's still a VERY sparsely used technology in home networks and the Airport is a home networking device. It's not meant for setting up major networks with Gigabit switches, etc.

2) The price point of the Airport ($175) is pretty darn low for a multi-port router that also allows printer/hard drive sharing and Pre-N support.

3) Also, since we're on the subject, we should probably stop dealing in theoreticals. In theory, 802.11n has all kinds of potential but in practice most reviewers and users have reported that its speeds are pretty much in line with what they get out of wired 10/100 networks. So before we jump around screaming that the wired will be slower than the wireless, let's be real. In practice, the two will probably be identical - about 100Mbps.

No, it's not Gigabit, and I would LOVE that as much as anyone. But one thing at a time...
Very well put and I agree completely. Nice job.
tdhurst is offline   0
Old Jan 11, 2007, 01:41 PM   #9
flopticalcube
macrumors G4

I agree. Consumer product for the home market, although all Macs now have gigabit ether, not just the pros. Also since USB 2.0 maxs out at about 240Mbps it is not much of an inconvenience not having 1G ether.

Perhaps we will see an APExt Pro later in the year?
Old Jan 11, 2007, 01:43 PM   #10
MacVault
macrumors 65816

Quote:

1) I agree Gigabit ethernet would be nice, of course. But keep in mind that Gigabit (although included on MacPro's) it's still a VERY sparsely used technology in home networks and the Airport is a home networking device. It's not meant for setting up major networks with Gigabit switches, etc....
Gigabit ethernet is not only on the MacPro. It's on every Mac Apple makes now - iMac, MacBook, Macbook Pro, MacPro. Now what good is it if I buy the new AirPort Extreme?

Oh, and as for home networks... with all the video, music, etc being done in the home now days, and as cheap as Gigabit is, there should be nothing less that GIGABIT - Yes, even in home networks!
MacVault is offline   0
Old Jan 11, 2007, 01:44 PM   #11
Sam0r
macrumors regular

Quote:

I think you're missing the point here..

The point is that every mac now comes with gigabit ethernet, but they won't be able to use it unless they buy a third party network switch/hub.

Also the point of it being able to share a hard drive over the network is let down slightly by the lack of gigabit ethernet.

And AFAIK it only has three ports, it can't be THAT much more expencive to upgrade them to gigabit ports.
Sam0r is offline   0
Old Jan 11, 2007, 01:49 PM   #12
MacVault
macrumors 65816

Home networks DO need Gigabit!

I can't beleive some of you guys saying 10/100 is ok for home networks. It just is NOT! Period. Do you think the HP Windows Home Server will have 10/100? NO WAY. It will have Gigabit! Why? Because more and more home users are dealing with huge multi-gigabyte video/movie files, music files, photos, network attached storage, etc.
MacVault is offline   0
Old Jan 11, 2007, 01:54 PM   #13
tdhurst
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to tdhurst Send a message via Yahoo to tdhurst Send a message via Skype™ to tdhurst
I can...

I can currently stream (via iTunes sharing) a video from my 500mhz iMac, connected via ethernet to a linksys voip router, in turn connected to an Airport Express, which my powerbook connects to wirelessly.

I really don't see all the issues so many people have predicted.
tdhurst is offline   0
Old Jan 11, 2007, 01:56 PM   #14
iW00t
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVault View Post
There is ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE for this CRAP! What good is Gigabit on the new Macs if the router Apple sells is only 10/100?? WTF! I almost don't beleive it! I'm trying to convince myself it's a type but I know it's not

The last 30 years were just the beginning. Welcome to 2007 - where we make products that are 90% awsome and 50% halfA$$-STUPID!
It is times like this when I will just want to and give the usual piece on this...

"We've done extensive studies and found that most consumers do not require this feature."

They use the same excuse to explain why the iMac is non user upgradeable, why it didn't have a user adjustable height, etc etc... it sure as hell would work here
iW00t is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2007, 01:06 AM   #15
aswitcher
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to aswitcher
Its a bit annoying but I dont see this as a major issue.

My question is, where is the ethernet version that doesn't need power?

I actually thought Apple should have put the optical audio out into these new base stations to push up their adoption. I know I will be putting at least one where I would have liked to have audio out as well for speakers.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 01:26 AM   #16
maverick808
macrumors 65816

Quote:

More people have gigabit Ethernet than have 802.11n, so are you saying Apple shouldn't be bothering with 802.11n?

Furthermore, how many people even have Internet connections that reach 802.11g (54mbps) speeds? Hell, most people don't even have Internet connections that match 802.11b (11mbps) speeds. So people aren't buying these things so that their Internet connections are faster. Surely, you buy them to transfer data between machines on the local network? I would imagine a typical Airport Extreme buyer would have maybe one desktop machine and one laptop. They want copying from the desktop to the laptop to be as fast as possible. With a desktop wired to the Airport Extreme such a copy is now going to be half the speed the wireless is capable of AT BEST, because the wired connection has become an unnecessary bottleneck.

Sorry, but I think that situation is just stupid.
maverick808 is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2007, 01:44 AM   #17
Philoman
macrumors member

Quote:
I can't beleive some of you guys saying 10/100 is ok for home networks. It just is NOT! Period. Do you think the HP Windows Home Server will have 10/100? NO WAY. It will have Gigabit! Why? Because more and more home users are dealing with huge multi-gigabyte video/movie files, music files, photos, network attached storage, etc.
I agree with MacVault. Faster networking will benefit everyone. Just because you are a home user, you will only be transferring under 10MBs? And just because you are a home user, you can afford to wait longer time to copy/tranfer. Gigabit networking is very affordable. D-Link DGL-4300 Wireless router with 4 gigabit port sells for less than $135.

Apple is an innovator and a leader of technology. I was excited to see the new router including the latest 802.11n technology. Then they leave the wired networking to 10/100. They forgot to do some marketing study. Users have wireless and wired networking in their homes and small offices.

It really is a short coming from Apple from a marketing point of view. Only if they would have included the gigabit port, it would have been a fine product that would satisfy a much wider range of customers. I surely would buy one. I have a gigabit ethernet router that I got 1 year ago. After a year later, I will definitely not go backwards.

Last edited by Philoman; Jan 12, 2007 at 02:19 AM.
Philoman is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2007, 01:51 AM   #18
apfhex
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswitcher View Post
My question is, where is the ethernet version that doesn't need power?
Hell yeah, PoE baby. A friend has been waiting to see PoE devices become popular for a while now.

But indeed, WTF, in reply to the OP. My 5 year old PowerBook has gigabit ethernet. Why in the world would Apple not include it on the new AirPort Extreme?
Old Jan 12, 2007, 02:07 AM   #19
Wild-Bill
macrumors 68020

Quote:
It does. I read the specs on pcmag. The HP Home Server will have gigabit, as it should.

There is no excuse for Apple omitting gigabit ethernet from this router. The first thing I said to myself when I read the specs was "What? No gigabit?!?!" Shame on you Apple!!! SHame!
Old Jan 12, 2007, 02:11 AM   #20
iW00t
Banned

I just placed an order for mine.

Gigabit ethernet or not it is still cheaper than what I paid 6 months ago for that Netgear piece of **** which reboots every now and then. At least here I know I am getting "Apple quality", for less money, and more features (USB hub print + file share).
iW00t is offline   0
Old Jan 15, 2007, 07:54 PM   #21
TheSailerMan
macrumors member

I can see how no gigabit ethernet port would be a problem for some, but that's why you can buy other (likely more expensive) wireless routers WITH gigabit ethernet ports.

My dad just ordered an APE earlier this week, and the lack of gigabit ethernet ports won't be a problem for us. Everyone except me runs on a wireless connection, and I have an original Mac mini (which doesn't have gigabit ethernet).
Old Jan 15, 2007, 08:45 PM   #22
maverick808
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSailerMan View Post
I can see how no gigabit ethernet port would be a problem for some, but that's why you can buy other (likely more expensive) wireless routers WITH gigabit ethernet ports.
Like this one from Netgear, it has gigabit ports...?

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/specs.aspx?EDC=969472

Oh wait, no that's cheaper. Okay, how about Linksys...?

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WRT350.../dp/B000H96IN2

Oops, cheaper again.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 08:47 PM   #23
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick808 View Post
Like this one from Netgear, it has gigabit ports...?

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/specs.aspx?EDC=969472

Oh wait, no that's cheaper. Okay, how about Linksys...?

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WRT350.../dp/B000H96IN2

Oops, cheaper again.
Out of curosity can you connect a USB printer and a HD to those routers?

[edit] guess you can but it's for windows only and looks really ugly..[/edit]

Last edited by Peace; Jan 15, 2007 at 08:53 PM.
Peace is offline   0
Old Jan 15, 2007, 08:47 PM   #24
xUKHCx
Administrator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick808 View Post
That is one scary looking router.
xUKHCx is offline   0
Old Jan 15, 2007, 08:50 PM   #25
maverick808
macrumors 65816

I agree, it does look kind of mad. I doubt you can attach a printer. Maybe you can attach disk drives since the tech specs say...

Product Features

Four devices in one: Internet-sharing Router, 4-port Gigabit Switch, speed- and range-enhanced Wireless Access Point, and built-in Media Server

Storage Link feature lets you easily add gigabytes of storage, while Media Server streams media from an attached storage device to any UPnP compatible media adapter

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Event Archives