Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Event Archives

Old Jan 11, 2007, 01:01 PM   #1
MajorTom
macrumors member

Question Airport Extreme - 5x faster in US vs 2.5x in UK?

Just noticed that the new Airport Extreme page on the US Apple site states that it is 5x faster wereas on the UK Apple site it is described as 2.5x faster than 802.11g!!!

Is there a valid technical reason for this that anyone is aware of?!
MajorTom is offline   0
Old Jan 11, 2007, 01:04 PM   #2
dalvin200
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorTom View Post
Just noticed that the new Airport Extreme page on the US Apple site states that it is 5x faster wereas on the UK Apple site it is described as 2.5x faster than 802.11g!!!

wow.. didn't spot that one.. that is weird..

i thought standards were.. erm.. standard whereever you are?
Old Jan 11, 2007, 01:10 PM   #3
MacVault
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to MacVault Send a message via Yahoo to MacVault Send a message via Skype™ to MacVault
Quote:

The new AirPort Extreme is a piece of crap anyway because the network ports are only 10/100, not Gigabit
MacVault is offline   0
Old Jan 11, 2007, 01:12 PM   #4
TheAnswer
macrumors 68030

I dunno know about technically, but since 2.5 is roughly $5 US...maybe it is performance/cost?
TheAnswer is offline   0
Old Jan 11, 2007, 01:20 PM   #5
dalvin200
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnswer View Post
I dunno know about technically, but since 2.5 is roughly $5 US...maybe it is performance/cost?
LOL.. r u serious? LMAO!!!
Old Jan 11, 2007, 01:31 PM   #6
MajorTom
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVault View Post
The new AirPort Extreme is a piece of crap anyway because the network ports are only 10/100, not Gigabit
I agree that this is a bit disapointing considering that most recent macs include 10/100/1000 Base-T ENET ports! And didnt the old Airport Basestations include Gigabit ENET? Why go back to old standards... doesnt make sense?!

Anyways both the speed issue in the UK and the lack of GB ENET have convinced me to wait a while before purchasing the new Airport. I'd like to know if there are valid reasons for these shortcomings first before i purchase... perhaps the speed issue in the UK has something to do with the fact that 802.11n is not an offical standard yet?

If so then my old belkin router (802.11g) which does a decent job will just have to do me untill Apple releases an Airport Extreme which doesnt give me these concerns... maybe Rev.B will address these concerns and by that time 802.11n 'should' hopefully be an offical standard.
MajorTom is offline   0
Old Jan 11, 2007, 01:32 PM   #7
TheAnswer
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalvin200 View Post
LOL.. r u serious? LMAO!!!
Not serious at all, especially since the US price at $179 should convert to around 92 not the 119 it is in the UK Apple Store, but then I think their price includes tax.

I'm actually assuming it's a fellow American with the same subpar mathematical education that I received assuming that they have to covert the numbers for the sole reason that they are different over there. I'm surprised that 802.11n didn't become 412.566n
TheAnswer is offline   0
Old Jan 11, 2007, 01:36 PM   #8
MacDonaldsd
macrumors 65816

Thats a bit odd, I hope its typing error of some sort
MacDonaldsd is offline   0
Old Jan 11, 2007, 01:50 PM   #9
MajorTom
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDonaldsd View Post
Thats a bit odd, I hope its typing error of some sort
Unfortunately i dont think its a typo... both the US and UK Airport Extreme pages have fancy 'graphics' to emphises the 5X / 2.5X speeds...

UK site:

US site:

A typo in standard text can be easily overlooked but i doubt someone would have spent the time it would take making such a fancy icon and not noticed such an obvious typo staring back at them!
MajorTom is offline   0
Old Jan 11, 2007, 01:52 PM   #10
psychofreak
Retired

Quote:
Unfortunately i dont think its a typo... both the US and UK Airport Extreme pages have fancy 'graphics' to emphises the 5X / 2.5X speeds...

UK site:

US site:

A typo in standard text can be overlooked but i doubt someone would have spent the time making such a fancy icon with such an obvious typo staring back at them!
The icons are all over the store...not made especially
psychofreak is offline   0
Old Jan 11, 2007, 01:58 PM   #11
wakerider017
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to wakerider017
Quote:
Not really...

I never use my router as a "switch" any way. I have way too many computers.

The Airport Extreme can only handle 3 computers. (I have 7 in my house)

All you need to buy is a gigabit Switch and everything will be peaches and cream!

Here is what you can do:

wakerider017 is offline   0
Old Jan 11, 2007, 02:01 PM   #12
jsw
Moderator emeritus

Quote:

Read the fine print on the main page:
Quote:
The AirPort Extreme Base Station is based on an IEEE 802.11n draft specification and is compatible with IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11b, and IEEE 802.11g. The following countries do not allow wide-channel operation: Austria, Estonia, Germany, Japan, Latvia, Slovakia, Spain, United Kingdom.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 02:03 PM   #13
MacDonaldsd
macrumors 65816

So is it crippled by software or the hardware ?
MacDonaldsd is offline   0
Old Jan 11, 2007, 02:04 PM   #14
jsw
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDonaldsd View Post
So is it crippled by software or the hardware ?
I'm guessing hardware (which would mean a US one would be faster), in order to pass the approval stages, but obviously I could be wrong.
Quote:
Yup. It's a complete piece of crap, at least for all of those people who have internet broadband that's faster than 100Mbps.

For those with sub-100Mbps connections, which probably includes at least a few people, it's quite useful.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 02:07 PM   #15
balamw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsw View Post
I'm guessing hardware (which would mean a US one would be faster) in order to pass the approval stages, but obviously I could be wrong.
It's probably just a firmware limitation like that for the 802.11b/g channels > 11 in current hardware.

B
Old Jan 11, 2007, 02:14 PM   #16
stephenmckeague
macrumors member

Well if they're going to make a specific UK version why not include an ADSL modem as 99% of UK broadband uses that. This doesn't apply to the US but I think integrated router/modem has become an unofficial standard in the UK. If the roles were reversed and the virtually all of the US used a specific broadband technology Apple would be infinitely more likely to integrate the modem As it stands I don't see why I should pay the apple premimum for design when an ugly 3rd party external modem ruins the look anyway. [/rant]
stephenmckeague is offline   0
Old Jan 11, 2007, 02:20 PM   #17
balamw

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenmckeague View Post
Well if they're going to make a specific UK version why not include an ADSL modem as 99% of UK broadband uses that. This doesn't apply to the US but I think integrated router/modem has become an unofficial standard in the UK. If the roles were reversed and the virtually all of the US used a specific broadband technology Apple would be infinitely more likely to integrate the modem As it stands I don't see why I should pay the apple premimum for design when an ugly 3rd party external modem ruins the look anyway. [/rant]
Most people in the US use the router their ISP provides for broadband, which is integrated, there are however many flavors for each provider and region. (DSL, Cable, Fiber, ...)

The point here though is that it is not a hardware limitation it's a firmware setting that can/will be overcome as soon as it's legal to use wider channels in those countries. Kinda like the France imposed volume cap on the iPod. That was firmware only and plenty of French iPod users updated their 'Pods to US or other foreign firmware to gain their extra volume.

B
Old Jan 11, 2007, 02:35 PM   #18
MajorTom
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsw View Post
Read the fine print on the main page:
Ahh well spotted!

Well thats a shame... i sure hope the UK allows for 'wide-channel operation' soon! If i was certain that this limitation was simply a firmware revision then i think i would be happy purchasing the current AE afterall. The lack of GB ENET is not that big of a deal to me.

Last edited by MajorTom; Jan 11, 2007 at 02:51 PM.
MajorTom is offline   0
Old Jan 11, 2007, 02:36 PM   #19
SimonTheSoundMa
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Well if they're going to make a specific UK version why not include an ADSL modem as 99% of UK broadband uses that. This doesn't apply to the US but I think integrated router/modem has become an unofficial standard in the UK. If the roles were reversed and the virtually all of the US used a specific broadband technology Apple would be infinitely more likely to integrate the modem As it stands I don't see why I should pay the apple premium for design when an ugly 3rd party external modem ruins the look anyway. [/rant]
I thought the same. Pu me right off. My Netgear DG832Gv2 so happens to be gloss white like my iMac, goes quite nice.

It only has a WAN socket, means I have to spend more on an ADSL modem, and decent standalone ones start at about 100.
SimonTheSoundMa is offline   0
Old Jan 11, 2007, 02:39 PM   #20
stephenmckeague
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by balamw View Post
there are however many flavors for each provider and region. (DSL, Cable, Fiber, ...)
There's only one (commercial) flavour ever used here in the UK (ADSL), thats why it's annoying that the modem's not included.
stephenmckeague is offline   0
Old Jan 11, 2007, 02:41 PM   #21
jsw
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by balamw View Post
It's probably just a firmware limitation like that for the 802.11b/g channels > 11 in current hardware.
Of course.

Silly me. Responded without thinking enough....
Old Jan 11, 2007, 02:45 PM   #22
Spanky Deluxe
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakerider017 View Post
Not really...

I never use my router as a "switch" any way. I have way too many computers.

The Airport Extreme can only handle 3 computers. (I have 7 in my house)

All you need to buy is a gigabit Switch and everything will be peaches and cream!

<snip>
While that is true to some extent, the limitations arise in that 802.11n is supposed to technically have a data rate of 200 Mbit/s and a maximum data rate of 540 Mbit/s. Both of those values are quite a bit higher than the 100 Mbit/s ethernet ports on the thing can handle.
For the amount of money they charge for the Airport Express I really think they should have put in gigabit ethernet. I mean the last Apple computer sold that *didn't* have gigabit ethernet was the last iBook which was replaced over half a year ago and was a consumer level product anyway.

Edit: Do these have a configuration utility where you can set it to only use 802.11n? I'm sure people will want to do that since otherwise if a single 802.11b unit is added then the speed of the wireless for all devices is dropped down to 11Mbit/s.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 02:46 PM   #23
balamw

Quote:
There's only one (commercial) flavour ever used here in the UK (ADSL), thats why it's annoying that the modem's not included.
Yeah, but there are 5X (or is it 2.5X ) of us compared to you lot, not to mention the 6 billion other people in the rest of the world...

B
Old Jan 11, 2007, 02:48 PM   #24
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

I assumed it was just "typical British understatement".
Old Jan 11, 2007, 02:50 PM   #25
jsw
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunk View Post
I assumed it was just "typical British understatement".

At least this thread spared me from asking why 802.11g was twice as fast over there.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Event Archives