Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grampa Joe

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
To add windows, I guess I can't use Parallels or Bootcamp since they both appear to be made for Intel-based Macs. What else is there? I can't seem to find a solution on the forum.

Maybe Leopard will let me do that. Anybody know?

Forgot to add, all I want it for is to run Family Tree Maker genealogy software. No games or anything special.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Your only real option is to use Virtual PC, which is the fastest of a number of very slow options for the G5. There are free or cheaper options, but none are all that easy to set up or, in fact, even get to run at all.

Honestly, it's only slightly more expensive to buy a cheap - even used - PC than to buy VPC, and the cheapest PC you can buy will run circles around VPC on the fastest of G5s.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
To add windows, I guess I can't use Parallels or Bootcamp since they both appear to be made for Intel-based Macs. What else is there? I can't seem to find a solution on the forum.

Maybe Leopard will let me do that. Anybody know?

Forgot to add, all I want it for is to run Family Tree Maker genealogy software. No games or anything special.

You could always use a Mac based program.

This one looks pretty good and it's for Mac OS X and it's universal.

http://www.onlymac.de/html/stammbaum4en.html

Grampa Joe

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
You could always use a Mac based program.

This one looks pretty good and it's for Mac OS X and it's universal.

http://www.onlymac.de/html/stammbaum4en.html

Thanks. I use Reunion (Mac based) now. I had used Family Tree Maker on my PC. It is a whole lot better. Hence, my query. Guess I'm screwed if I ever want FTM again unless Leopard will come with a Windows emulator. I suppose that'll be only for Intel Macs, too.
The answer is to buy an Intel-based Mac, but my wife would leave if I even suggest such a thing. Mini, maybe? The future holds the answer.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Thanks. I use Reunion (Mac based) now. I had used Family Tree Maker on my PC. It is a whole lot better. Hence, my query. Guess I'm screwed if I ever want FTM again unless Leopard will come with a Windows emulator. I suppose that'll be only for Intel Macs, too.
The answer is to buy an Intel-based Mac, but my wife would leave if I even suggest such a thing. Mini, maybe? The future holds the answer.
Have you gotten rid of your PC? There are ways to connect to it such that you see its desktop on your Mac's screen, even if it's elsewhere, and even if it has no monitor connected to it.

Grampa Joe

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
Have you gotten rid of your PC? There are ways to connect to it such that you see its desktop on your Mac's screen, even if it's elsewhere, and even if it has no monitor connected to it.
Aha! Wife has the PC. I know what you mean, but not sure how to do it. Matter of fact, the Mac and the PC are both connected to the same modem via Apple Extreme.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Huh? What is VNC?
VNC is a way of remote controlling one computer from another. It's slow, but free. If the PC is running XP however, you can turn on remote desktop and use Microsoft's own Remote Desktop Client for Mac to do the same as VNC, only much quicker.

hopejr

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2005
New South Wales, Australia
VNC is a way of remote controlling one computer from another. It's slow, but free. If the PC is running XP however, you can turn on remote desktop and use Microsoft's own Remote Desktop Client for Mac to do the same as VNC, only much quicker.
Not the same as VNC. RDC logs out the local user, but VNC shares the same session.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Remote Desktop Client is indeed what you want if your PC is running XP Pro (it probably isn't, if it's a home system) because it involves the least amount of hassle.

Otherwise:

You'll need a VNC (virtual network client) server for the PC, and a VNC client for the Mac.

Download Chicken of the VNC and put it in your Applications folder on your Mac. This lets you control other the PC (or anything running a VNC server).

On your PC, I've had success with RealVNC. Download it here, and full instructions are here.

Once you have RealVNC running on the PC, you should be able to connect to it via Chicken of the VNC on your Mac. The screen refreshes won't be phenomenally fast, but it's all free and should work fine.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Not the same as VNC. RDC logs out the local user, but VNC shares the same session.
Only if you log onto the PC with a different user account to the one already logged on. Otherwise XP will lock the PC's actual screen and redirect the logged-in session to the RDC client.

hopejr

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2005
New South Wales, Australia
Only if you log onto the PC with a different user account to the one already logged on. Otherwise XP will lock the PC's actual screen and redirect the logged-in session to the RDC client.

That's what I meant. I was basically saying that VNC allows you to share the screen, RDC doesn't (whether it logs you out/returns you to welcome screen/locks the workstation).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.