Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Jan 11, 2007, 08:51 PM   #1
caspian915
macrumors newbie

iPod mini help: beeping noise

Hi all,

I'm planning on selling my iPod mini, but before I do want to make sure there's nothing wrong with it. Every so often (usually after not being connected for awhile or the battery is drained completely) the iPod beeps when I connect it to my Mac. 3 or so pairs of tiny beeps. And when it does this it's usually either a blank screen or frozen on the battery image. After it does this, it isn't always recognized by the Mac or sometimes it is and then it gets disconnected, not physically, but a dialog warning comes up about device removal even though the iPod is still connected. After a couple of tries, it usually connects again and is fine. Once I had to leave it alone for several hours and then i worked alright again.

What sort of issue is this? I've only really been using it for about 5 months and it wasn't extensively used before that even though Ive had it for a little while (at the time I had another iPod....I won this one). It should be in fine shape, I have never dropped it and when it works, the battery life is decent.

Any ideas? Is this serious?

Thanks
caspian915 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2007, 08:56 PM   #2
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Are you sure it's the iPod beeping and not the Mac?
Old Jan 13, 2007, 04:05 AM   #3
robPOD
macrumors 6502

Try reformatting?
robPOD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2007, 08:27 PM   #4
Xeem
macrumors 6502a

This JUST happened to me, about five minutes ago. My iPod Mini has some big issues (problems with the battery meter or something along those lines)... I only get like 20 minutes of battery life, but I know the battery is fine because it was getting like 15 hours one week and then suddenly 20-30 minutes the next. I tried every battery and meter conditioning/reseting trick I could find (including reformatting), but to no avail. Tonight is the first time it's ever beeped at me, though- I didn't even know iPods could beep!

Last edited by Xeem; Jan 22, 2007 at 08:33 PM.
Xeem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 08:38 PM   #5
MeWannaMac
macrumors member

I would agree with robPOD. Try formatting to see if that works.
MeWannaMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2007, 07:14 PM   #6
pinkmini
macrumors newbie

my poor ipod... :(

hey,
my poor little ipod mini is quite old now but i love it dearly and am heartbroken now its broken.
i plugged it into my mac and it came up in itunes but then the ipod started beeping at me and the 'warning' sign came up on my mac's screen saying dont disconnect your ipod without ejecting it, but it was still plugged in and was still in itunes. Now my ipod has been wiped of all its songs but it still says that the memory is used up. It wont restore because it says that the 'device is in use by another application.' and it wont eject either. i had to eject it manually and the warning sign thing came up on the mac again.
i have reset it, but it wont go onto the diagnostics screen.
please help. i am pretty computer illiterate so if anyone can explain i would be eternally greatful.
xxx
pinkmini is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod