Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Event Archives

Old Jan 11, 2007, 10:56 PM   #1
andrewlayton
macrumors newbie

To Address Everyone's General Concerns:

TOPIC ONE: WHERE ARE ALL OF THE ANNOUCEMENTS?

>This lack of annoucements happened for five reasons.

1) Investors WANTED the iPhone yesterday, not Leopard. After all, what is going to make more money for the company, the much-hyped phone, or yet another incarnation of an already superior OS? The iPhone represents an unlimited sales territory that can potentially hundreds of millions of dollars worth of top-line sales to Apple and Cingular. If Apple did not release/announce the phone, shares would tank, and the public would find out anyway through the FCC approval or some other means. Plus, you saw how long that iPhone demo took, imagine just briefly demoing the highlights of Leopard, iLife, iWork, and whatever else.

2) It's CES PEOPLE! Vista is launching, and it has taken the micro's many years to get to this point. No matter how lacking Vista is, the fact is most of the world uses Windows, and is going to be paying attention to its grand roll-out. People will not be interested in OS X until after January 30, when they realize Vista is still a load of crap.

3) Why not steal Vista's thunder...later? Vista's release isn't till Jan. 30, and a PR push for Leopard right around/shortly after that time would be perfect. Like I said before, Vista is getting its obligatory spotlight at this moment.

4) The products are not ready yet! Based on the reports/progress ive read/seen, there is still a bit of work to be done before Leopard is ready. Remember, 10.5.1 needs to be a hell of alot better than Tiger was in order to get the switchers. Tiger crashed my powerbook for one week upon first install. If people are having trouble with Vista, or upgrading their computer to that fabled Shangri-la, and Leopard is just one Safari ride full of mosquitos, what fun is that?

5) They're releasing later this year! - In the Keynote, Steve told the crowd that he had quite a few announcements planned for 2007 that we'd enjoy, so what's the problem?

TOPIC TWO: I SAVED UP MONEY, BUT NOW HAVE NOTHING TO BUY!
I was planning to go down to Knoxville and buy iLife and iWork myself this weekend, but so what if it's a little longer. Same goes with the WS iPod. I was quite happy when they said they were releasing it, and was pissed as hell when the did not. But do you think they don't know that? I think we'll see the WS iPod, along with all of the other iPod refreshes, around the time we see the next gen Zunes.

Besides, it just does not make since from a sales point to release something that revolutionary right now. Retail sales are going to suck for the next few months, and putting something like that on the market at this moment makes no financial sense for the company. It's way too soon after the holiday quarter where the current iPod is still the #1 player. So how are they going to make money from the 16 million new iPod owners? Apple knows they have a killer mp3 player on their hands, but they'll hold this in their back pocket until they really need it. I agree with the various posters, an October launch seems more reasonable, although i'd still buy it today.

Plus, Like with Vista, they'll let Microsoft show their hand first, and simply one-up them. After all, the iPhone has "over 200 patents, that we intent to protect". So no matter how hard the Zune tries, it can never be as cool.

TOPIC THREE: THE NAME CHANGE.
It is fitting that Apple changed their name on Tuesday. They make iPods now, they make displays now, they make wireless routers now, along with $100 italian leather iPod cases that have since been discontinued and sold for $25 at my local Best Buy. Apple is more fitting, and represents a company with limitless possibilities. Apple Computer is chock-full of limits. Honestly, do you really think we aren't going to get some kick ass Mac's this year?
andrewlayton is offline   0
Old Jan 11, 2007, 11:57 PM   #2
MacNut
macrumors P6

Personally I would push Leopard advertising right before Vista is released to take away from Microsoft's thunder.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 12:10 AM   #3
maverick808
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewlayton View Post
1) Investors WANTED the iPhone yesterday.
So? MacWorld is for developers, enthuisasts, prosumers... it's for a lot of people and it is NOT primarily aimed at investors. Read the MacWorld web page and you'll see there's a lot of types of people mentioned, and investors hardly come into it. Inverstors shouldn't be the target of a MacWorld keynote, the people in the audience should be, and I bet that there were far far more people who weren't investors in the audience than were.

Quote:
2) It's CES PEOPLE! Vista is launching...
I simply don't see how this affects a Leopard demo. Hardly anyone was expecting Leopard to be released. Developers and consumers alike are very anxious to hear how Leopard is progressing. And again, this is an audience full of Mac fans... how many of them care if Vista is being released?

Quote:
3) Why not steal Vista's thunder...later? Vista's release isn't till Jan. 30, and a PR push for Leopard right around/shortly after that time would be perfect. Like I said before, Vista is getting its obligatory spotlight at this moment.
Again, this is not relevant to a Mac audience. Secondly, is Vista really getting it's spotlight right now? It isn't going to be ready until the end of the month and I certainly haven't seen any adverts on TV or in magazines for it. Steve could have shown off Leopard and some amazing features now to show just how far ahead of Vista it is, and taint the future Vista advertising that will soon be everywhere.

Quote:
4) The products are not ready yet! Based on the reports/progress ive read/seen, there is still a bit of work to be done before Leopard is ready.
This has to be your worst argument out of all of them. Leopard isn't ready so it shouldn't be talked about... but the iPhone should!? The iPhone is due to be released AFTER Leopard. By your own reasoning the iPhone was therefore less deserving of being discussed than Leopard, or any other software (iWork '07, iLife '07) that is due to be released before the iPhone.

Quote:
5) They're releasing later this year! - In the Keynote, Steve told the crowd that he had quite a few announcements planned for 2007 that we'd enjoy, so what's the problem?
The problem is that more people care about Mac computers and software than care about the iPhone. Why spend almost an entire keynote discussing a phone when the majority of Mac users would rather hear about Mac computers and software? I suspect the VAST majority of Mac users on this forum will agree that we'd much rather the keynote had been say 40 minutes on the iPhone and 40 minutes on the current state of Leopard. Personally, I wish it had been...

Airport Extreme - 5 mins
Apple TV - 10 mins
iPhone - 30 mins
iWork - 20 mins
iLife - 20 mins
Leopard - 30 mins
Wrapup - remainder
maverick808 is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2007, 01:12 AM   #4
Wild-Bill
macrumors 68020

If Steve/Apple Inc. really wanted to steal the thunder away from Vista's launch on the 30th, they he/they would have done it in the complete opposite of what the OP posted.

MacWorld: Talk about "Macs", Leopard preview, iLife 07 (that should have been a no-brainer!!)

Special event on Jan. 30th: Announce iPhone. What do you think will generate more press? iLife/Leopard or the iPhone?? Uh huh.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 04:51 AM   #5
cecildk9999
macrumors regular

I actually agree with a lot of what the OP had to say about why the keynote/macworld shaped up the way it did. Investors are not the primary audience at macworld, but they're all watching from the sidelines. Apple's stock has been really volatile lately (huge hit with options scandal, then a huge bounce with iPhone announcement, small hit with Cisco lawsuit, etc.), and an iPhone announcement/demo seemed not only expected by all, but was in fact necessary to help lay some foundations for the year. Apple goes for glitz and glamour (and tosses up a teaser beforehand too!), and the general public (not in attendance, but watching CNN or something) isn't going to be wowed by a spreadsheet application announcement, or more info on Time Machine.

The statement that macworld should be just about 'macs' has been dispelled by Apple itself by its changing the company's name. Computers aren't the sole focus of the company anymore, and a huge event like this is the perfect place to showcase a big new product. Why exhaustively hype the iPhone? Not simply to generate interest (as is indeed happening), but to serve as the only available demo until launch. We can't touch this thing until June! Spending less time on the product would leave more questions about functionality/interface/etc., and divert attention from a product Apple 'needs' to sell to be successful. I add the quotes since Apple chose to enter a new market, but a lot of future company plans rest on the success/failure of venturing into the mobile market.

I was hoping for more info on iWork and Leopard myself, but I can see why things happened the way they did. Patience will be a hard won virtue this year. We had astronomical expectations for the keynote; I think a lot of wishes will be fulfilled this year, but we just have to wait a little longer.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 05:02 AM   #6
Hashton
macrumors newbie

This lack of annoucements happened for five reasons.

Amen to that Andrew Layton!
Hashton is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2007, 07:49 AM   #7
andrewlayton
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick808 View Post
So? MacWorld is for developers, enthuisasts, prosumers... it's for a lot of people and it is NOT primarily aimed at investors. Read the MacWorld web page and you'll see there's a lot of types of people mentioned, and investors hardly come into it. Inverstors shouldn't be the target of a MacWorld keynote, the people in the audience should be, and I bet that there were far far more people who weren't investors in the audience than were.

I simply don't see how this affects a Leopard demo. Hardly anyone was expecting Leopard to be released. Developers and consumers alike are very anxious to hear how Leopard is progressing. And again, this is an audience full of Mac fans... how many of them care if Vista is being released?

Again, this is not relevant to a Mac audience. Secondly, is Vista really getting it's spotlight right now? It isn't going to be ready until the end of the month and I certainly haven't seen any adverts on TV or in magazines for it. Steve could have shown off Leopard and some amazing features now to show just how far ahead of Vista it is, and taint the future Vista advertising that will soon be everywhere.

This has to be your worst argument out of all of them. Leopard isn't ready so it shouldn't be talked about... but the iPhone should!? The iPhone is due to be released AFTER Leopard. By your own reasoning the iPhone was therefore less deserving of being discussed than Leopard, or any other software (iWork '07, iLife '07) that is due to be released before the iPhone.

The problem is that more people care about Mac computers and software than care about the iPhone. Why spend almost an entire keynote discussing a phone when the majority of Mac users would rather hear about Mac computers and software? I suspect the VAST majority of Mac users on this forum will agree that we'd much rather the keynote had been say 40 minutes on the iPhone and 40 minutes on the current state of Leopard. Personally, I wish it had been...

Airport Extreme - 5 mins
Apple TV - 10 mins
iPhone - 30 mins
iWork - 20 mins
iLife - 20 mins
Leopard - 30 mins
Wrapup - remainder
And the problem with your argument is failing to realize that the people who frequent this forum make up just a very, very small percentage of mac users around the world. Of course you want a new mac! Of course you want Leopard. You, like I, am an Apple enthusiast, but the rest of the world does not think that way, and is quite happy hearing about a new apple project from the company that makes iPods. They'll cater to the hardcore crowd later, when they're ready.

My arguments are made from a retail standpoint, as I work for a company that is centering our 1st and 2nd quarter profit expectations around Vista. Annouceing Leopard now wouldn't have done them a bit of good, and again, they did not have time. Do you really think a complete iPhone demo could have taken 30 minutes? Instead of showing us how awesome Time Machine is, Steve decided to completely reveal his hand on this one, and I think he's better for it.

I guarantee you that if the iPhone had not been released, the stock would have been around $65 right now, and not $97.
andrewlayton is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2007, 08:35 AM   #8
Anuba
macrumors 68040

I don't see how Vista fits into the picture at all. Apple should just ignore it really. They didn't win the Windows world over with 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3 or 10.4. They didn't do it with Mac Mini or jumping on the Intel bandwagon. They didn't suck them in with the iPod, even though every other PC user has one. During all that time, all the Windows world had was Ye Olde XP, yet nothing changed.

So... whatever possesses anyone to believe that when XP is finally getting a successor in Vista, suddenly everyone's gonna go ape over Leopard? If Leopard will be made available for PCs (fat chance) then yes, Microsoft should be very, very afraid. If not, Leopard will be a fart in the cosmos as far as PC users are concerned, because this is the least likely point in time ever for Windows users to make the switch. I use both platforms, and from a Windows user perspective Apple's marketing strategy does absolutely nothing except allow Mac enthusiasts to snicker amongst themselves. If Leopard is anything like the sneak peek, forget it. Time Machine? Had it since 1999. More widgets? Yawn. Mail stationeries? Yech. Spaces? Had it forever. Core Animation? Getting it on 01/30. iCal? Getting it on 01/30, heh. Improved Spotlight? Getting instant search 01/30.

Just get Leopard out, whenever, and ignore Vista.

Last edited by Anuba; Jan 12, 2007 at 08:44 AM.
Anuba is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2007, 09:01 AM   #9
Cepe Indicum
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild-Bill View Post
If Steve/Apple Inc. really wanted to steal the thunder away from Vista's launch on the 30th, they he/they would have done it in the complete opposite of what the OP posted.

MacWorld: Talk about "Macs", Leopard preview, iLife 07 (that should have been a no-brainer!!)

Special event on Jan. 30th: Announce iPhone. What do you think will generate more press? iLife/Leopard or the iPhone?? Uh huh.
I have to agree that MacWorld should really have revolved more around Macs, given the captured audience and attendies of the event.

However, perhaps Apple could steal more thunder from Vista by launching Leopard through a Special Event on the 30th?
Cepe Indicum is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Event Archives