Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jan 11, 2007, 11:09 PM   #1
young shiz
macrumors newbie

should i sell g4 powerbook for a macbook?

I have a 1.5 ghz 15 inch powerbook (80 gig/512mb/Superdrive). Its working fine for me but I see it still going for well over $1000 while I see macbooks with the cameras, front row, and the ability to run windows going for $700. The most intense thing I use it for is running Serato scratch live for Djing and my g4 does it fine. Should I trade it for a nice black book w/ simmilar specs?
young shiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2007, 11:28 PM   #2
lamina
macrumors 68000

I dunno man...

I have thought the same myself. I have a 17" PB G4 and it's perfect for what I do with it...

The question is... how comfortable would you be sacrificing the screen area? I know I wouldn't.

The MacBook will definitely be faster than your PB.

How long have you had the PB for? Possible buyers remorse?
lamina is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2007, 11:32 PM   #3
DMBGuru
macrumors regular

If what you have is good enough, why pay money for something new? Just because it's new?

You have to think about any advantage to what you specifically use it for... if the advantages aren't worth the extra $1500... don't spend it.

I just bought a new MB because the laptop I had had bad battery life and was too large to take to class, so I gave the laptop to my parents and bought the MB. It's all about cost-sacrifices.
DMBGuru is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2007, 11:57 PM   #4
siurpeeman
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to siurpeeman
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBGuru View Post
If what you have is good enough, why pay money for something new? Just because it's new?

You have to think about any advantage to what you specifically use it for... if the advantages aren't worth the extra $1500... don't spend it.

I just bought a new MB because the laptop I had had bad battery life and was too large to take to class, so I gave the laptop to my parents and bought the MB. It's all about cost-sacrifices.
i don't get what you're saying. the guy can sell his powerbook for over $1,000 and could possibly stand to make some money by buying a macbook (if he buys refurbished or used). to the op, is the dj software you use a universal binary? if not, you would have to think how it would perform under rosetta. that and the loss of screen real estate would be my two concerns.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 11:22 AM   #5
young shiz
macrumors newbie

well the new version is UB. My biggest concern (besides screen size) is that I dont want to be left in the dust in 2-3 years with OSX not being able to run on my powerbook. I got the powerbook for only $500 in November (lucky find) so I'm not extremely attached to it, yet.
young shiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 11:42 AM   #6
adamyoshida
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by young shiz View Post
well the new version is UB. My biggest concern (besides screen size) is that I dont want to be left in the dust in 2-3 years with OSX not being able to run on my powerbook. I got the powerbook for only $500 in November (lucky find) so I'm not extremely attached to it, yet.
In that case do it, do it now.
adamyoshida is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 11:42 AM   #7
siurpeeman
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to siurpeeman
Quote:
i would sell it, especially since you're not too attached to it yet.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 01:23 PM   #8
Veritas&Equitas
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I have a 1.5 ghz 15 inch powerbook (80 gig/512mb/Superdrive). Its working fine for me but I see it still going for well over $1000
I don't know where you're looking. That model PB isn't going for over $850 shipped on eBay max...I just unloaded a 1.67 ghz/1.5 gb memory/100 gb latest rev with case for $950 shipped. Unless you find a big sucker on Craigslist, you won't get near $1,000 on eBay, and especially not that high here on MR, cause we're all cheap
Old Jan 12, 2007, 01:41 PM   #9
adamyoshida
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas&Equitas View Post
I don't know where you're looking. That model PB isn't going for over $850 shipped on eBay max...I just unloaded a 1.67 ghz/1.5 gb memory/100 gb latest rev with case for $950 shipped. Unless you find a big sucker on Craigslist, you won't get near $1,000 on eBay, and especially not that high here on MR, cause we're all cheap
Regardless, the MacBook's a better machine, and that Powerbook is going to lose its value quickly.
adamyoshida is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs