Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 12, 2007, 12:32 AM   #1
Brayden87
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
iPhone coming to Aus???

So is the phone coming to australia??? and if so when???
__________________
Suspicion does NOT constitute a crime
Brayden87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 12:35 AM   #2
Nermal
Moderator
 
Nermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Whakatane, New Zealand
Vodafone NZ have said (unofficially) that it should be available here in early 2008, so I'd assume that it would be similar for Australia. They also said it'd probably be NZ$699 for the 4 GB and $899 for the 8 GB!
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 12:36 AM   #3
Chundles
macrumors G4
 
Chundles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The Gong, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brayden87 View Post
So is the phone coming to australia??? and if so when???
2008 when the rest of Asia gets it. I reckon we'll get a 3G version that can utilise our faster HSDPA networks that are coming online now. EDGE is so slow, Telstra's nextG HSDPA network has download speeds up to 1.1Mbps at the moment and they'll be over 14mbps by the end of the year.

Doubt it'll be carrier specific though, if it proves a hit in the US and Europe the telcos will be jumping through hoops to get it and make some money.
__________________
This is going straight to the Pool Room
Chundles is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 12:51 AM   #4
smueboy
macrumors 6502a
 
smueboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Oz
If they don't make a 3G version for the rest of the world i think it'll flop. But i'm doubtful that Apple will make a 3G version for the world while selling the GSM/EDGE version in the US - so the first version of the iPhone you see in Europe & Asia may be kinda sucky.
__________________
15" MBP 2.33 C2D; 15" MBP 3.06 C2D; Mini 2.66 C2D; Mac Pro 2x 2.93 Xeon
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.... well, i have others.
smueboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 12:56 AM   #5
Chundles
macrumors G4
 
Chundles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The Gong, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by smueboy View Post
If they don't make a 3G version for the rest of the world i think it'll flop. But i'm doubtful that Apple will make a 3G version for the world while selling the GSM/EDGE version in the US - so the first version of the iPhone you see in Europe & Asia may be kinda sucky.
Well how far off having proper 3G coverage are you guys?

I would've thought we'd all get the 3G-capable phone around the same time. If we have to wait for the US to bring 3G online for too long (surely you guys can't be a year away from 3G stuff, it's been out here and in Europe/Asia for years, the first 3G phone provider here has been sponsoring the Test Cricket for the last 6 years and they've been here longer than that) then we'll all be on 4G and the argument would begin again.
__________________
This is going straight to the Pool Room
Chundles is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 05:06 AM   #6
dextertangocci
macrumors 68000
 
dextertangocci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to dextertangocci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chundles View Post
Well how far off having proper 3G coverage are you guys?

I would've thought we'd all get the 3G-capable phone around the same time. If we have to wait for the US to bring 3G online for too long (surely you guys can't be a year away from 3G stuff, it's been out here and in Europe/Asia for years, the first 3G phone provider here has been sponsoring the Test Cricket for the last 6 years and they've been here longer than that) then we'll all be on 4G and the argument would begin again.
4G How fast will that be?

We have had 3G for over 2 years in South Africa, and 1.8Mbps HSDPA since last year, so I hope the iPhone has 3G and HSDPA by the time it arrives here.
dextertangocci is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 05:14 AM   #7
Nermal
Moderator
 
Nermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Whakatane, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chundles View Post
2008 when the rest of Asia gets it. I reckon we'll get a 3G version that can utilise our faster HSDPA networks that are coming online now. EDGE is so slow, Telstra's nextG HSDPA network has download speeds up to 1.1Mbps at the moment and they'll be over 14mbps by the end of the year.
You lost me at 3G

Seriously, I get so confused with all this cellphone terminology: EDGE, GPRS, EV-DO, HSDPA, UMTS... someone feel like giving me a quick summary?
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 05:14 AM   #8
dalvin200
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nottingham, UK
unless aus is part of asia, then i am not sure when it will come out there..
__________________
Search before you post: MRoogle
dalvin200 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 05:28 AM   #9
aswitcher
macrumors 603
 
aswitcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Sydney OZ
Send a message via AIM to aswitcher
A quad band GSM phone can work anywhere. So I expect its only going to be a case of supply and demand, and local telco approvals and some carrier deals. In Australia I think carriers will be very competative to get it so I am sure it will arrive.
__________________
Switcher since June '04
iPhone 4GS | 27" iMac | Elgato EyeTV/IceTV | SecuritySpy User
aswitcher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 05:51 AM   #10
iW00t
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Defenders of Apple Guild
We can always buy off some Hong Kong based ebay seller if it gets stalled in aus. Not like it will be cheap anyway.

A$1099 with 2 years contract anyone?

(In fact I think it will really cost that much when it shows up here)
iW00t is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Porting numbers at the Apple Store (AUS)? Rusty33 iPhone 2 Sep 17, 2013 02:17 AM
21.5" delivery time AUS Tj1234 iMac 0 Dec 4, 2012 06:00 AM
Using iPhone 5 Overseas (NZ/Kor/Aus) esuh90 iPhone 4 Nov 4, 2012 07:10 AM
Just switched to Telstra (AUS) tmanto02 iPhone 0 Jul 19, 2012 10:18 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:22 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC